Disney Pixar's Lightyear

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney Pixar's Lightyear

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Wow…not what anyone was expecting, I bet…! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 27th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Well, I had no expectations, so this looked... fine. Looking forward to seeing more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 28th, 2021, 4:00 am

Although I'm still confused on the idea of Buzz Lightyear actually HAVING a past, vs. being the toy that THOUGHT he had one, written into his marketing. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 28th, 2021, 4:52 am

Exactly.

It also kind of takes away from the idea, too, that the Buzz toy was a composite astronaut: we all *know* he was already named for real astronaut Aldrin, but here he’s now clearly based on some Evel Knievel-level of fame flyboy who, um, gets his own toy!?

Next we'll have Toy Story Origins II: Woody, where we find out that the Woody's Roundup gang were based on an old silent movie cowboy star from the 20s (and not the 20's). A shame J-j-j-jimmy Stewart isn’t around to be the old Woody, though I suppose Clint could fill in and reprise the old Bronco Billy routine… ;)

This, and others like that they may do, do somewhat start to overthink things, though, and begin to rob the original films of their "simplicity" and the elegance of that simplicity. I’m actually kind of surprised they didn’t just do this in live-action…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 28th, 2021, 6:27 am

I might be in a minority but so far I'm not into this. Seems like Pixar wanted to do their own MCU/Star Wars film and we already got one from Disney and I didn't care for it. Seems pointless to be honest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 28th, 2021, 9:00 am

Ben wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 4:52 am
…It also kind of takes away from the idea, too, that the Buzz toy was a composite astronaut: we all *know* he was already named for real astronaut Aldrin, but here he’s now clearly based on some Evel Knievel-level of fame flyboy who, um, gets his own toy!?
I don’t know how into NASA history you Brit’s get, but the original astronauts were actually drawn from the extreme test pilots of the time who were flying cutting edge machines. I assume that’s where the writers got the idea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 28th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Can you feel the Buzz for this film?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 28th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Farerb wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 6:27 am
I might be in a minority but so far I'm not into this. Seems like Pixar wanted to do their own MCU/Star Wars film and we already got one from Disney and I didn't care for it. Seems pointless to be honest.
No, it's the same "Prequel origin" we get when studios want to keep a house-franchise brandname going but the actor gets too old.
At least Tim Allen isn't as old as Harrison Ford. YET.
James wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 9:00 am
I don’t know how into NASA history you Brit’s get, but the original astronauts were actually drawn from the extreme test pilots of the time who were flying cutting edge machines. I assume that’s where the writers got the idea.
I wonder if the Brits' neurotic obsession with thinking Americans talk about NASA and the moon landing 24/7 :P extends to actually watching 1984's "The Right Stuff" (about the wild desert Air Force test pilots groomed to be the first Mercury-orbit experiments), but I sense there's a few vibes here.
Pixar, after all, wasn't above homaging the iconic Right Stuff Walk for "Monsters, Inc."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2021, 5:42 am

James wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 9:00 am
I don’t know how into NASA history you Brits get…
Oh, being a kid of the 80s, interest in NASA is not just restricted to the US of A! Watching all the Columbia, Challenger and Discovery missions was a prerequisite even in school, and we all saw in real-time the awful tragedy in 1986. Although it took a while for me to appreciate The Right Stuff (back in '83, I was just a touch too young to watch a long, talky astronaut movie with no real astronauts!), I was well aware of the history, also touched on less well in First Man, and keep up with all the progressions over the years, from the continued missions through the 90s to that time they sent those brave guys to blow up that "global killer" asteroid that was going to knock us out in 1998. And I’m marvelling at the astro-billionaires and their foraging on the edges of space, hoping that all that "play" will lead to real progress eventually.

And, believe it or not, I’m kinda looking forward to this new film. It just seems it retcons what was a solid, perfect joke in the original Toy Story into something it was never meant to be. I await, and will take pleasure in, being convinced by the eventual movie, if it can pull it off nicely. As it is, Buzz works perfectly as a toy named after Buzz Aldrin. That the merchandising for Toy a story meant we actually *got* "real" Buzz Lightyear toys means that he’s already real in our world. They didn’t really need to dream up a fake real guy to say he was based him. I mean, what are the chances that Mr and Mrs Lightyear have a kid, name him Buzz, and he ends up being a test pilot-astronaut? Pretty…astronomical… ;)

This all said, I can totally see my concept for a Woody Origins movie going the same way…

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 29th, 2021, 11:38 am

We’ll finally find out if he got over that canyon. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 26th, 2022, 2:30 am

Michael Giacchino Scoring Pixar’s ‘Lightyear’

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/01/2 ... lightyear/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2022, 3:02 pm

This will be the first Toy Story-related feature-length project without Randy Newman doing the score. Still, Michael is awesome!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 8th, 2022, 10:30 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 8th, 2022, 12:03 pm

"June 2022" nothing in the description either. Sounds like it could still go either way...

"Starman", again? Not sure about Sox.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 8th, 2022, 2:44 pm

My main problem with this Lightyear movie is that it gives me vibes of it being set in the future while the Toy Story films feel set in the present. For an origin story, I feel there is a major disconnect with wanting to make it a plausible connection to the film. Of course this isn't going to stop me checking it out, but it is something that concerns me from a 'universe' point of view.