Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2016, 6:46 pm

I may or may not be in a minority, but at the moment, I'm actually a lot more excited about the new Ghostbusters movie than I am about this so far.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 11th, 2016, 7:16 pm

And that teaser has zapped about 50% of my interest in the new movie. It really does leave a nasty taste in my mouth that they seem so intent to de Britishfy such a British series with Fantastic Beasts. I'm trying to think of an analogy to explain my feelings but I am struggling. Have I missed something in all my years as a Potterfan where American fans have been complaining loudly that it is unfair that the universe never mentioned the US? Cause that what this movie and the Pottermore trailer seems to be addressing...don't worry Americans you have magic as well.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 11th, 2016, 8:44 pm

I dunno, Bill. Ever since Goblet of Fire, I'm sure many have been interested in seeing the Wizarding world at large, not just in Britain. Why does the universe need to be completely British from top to bottom? Why can't Rowling explore what the Wizarding world is like in the US, which would surely be as different as it is in the Muggle world? Perhaps Newt will visit other cultures in the later films (should the first one make enough to warrant them). Wouldn't it be fascinating to explore what the Wizarding world is like in Africa? In Japan? In Australia?

I am curious to see if the story will work, but I am already fascinated with just how much the Wizarding world at large works.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 11th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Dan wrote:I dunno, Bill. Ever since Goblet of Fire, I'm sure many have been interested in seeing the Wizarding world at large, not just in Britain. Why does the universe need to be completely British from top to bottom? Why can't Rowling explore what the Wizarding world is like in the US, which would surely be as different as it is in the Muggle world?
It is, and unfortunately not as interesting:
We Yanks are used to being different, and if "Native American mysticism" comes under US Wizardry, we were exploiting that card for literary value long before JK tried to pretend she knew what life was like in NY.

The British aspect plays well in the Potter-verse since (apart from the original argument that Diana Wynne-Jones did it first and better, and E. Nesbit before her) because it spoofs the image that everything is "traditional" in Britain, right down to the boarding schools and Parliamentary bureaucracy.
If Whitehall hides a Ministry of Magic, what did the US have in the 30's setting?--A secret position in FDR's cabinet? Errr, doesn't quite work.
Perhaps Newt will visit other cultures in the later films (should the first one make enough to warrant them). Wouldn't it be fascinating to explore what the Wizarding world is like in Africa? In Japan? In Australia?
If "the universe" of Tolkien's Middle Earth without Frodo or Bilbo Baggins was interesting, then "The Silmarillion" would be fascinating reading. It AIN'T.

Even if Newt is a likable character, in this world, he's just going to be a likable character who reminds us of Harry, and remind us that Harry isn't here. We weren't in it for the Neat Stuff, we were in it to follow a character we could identify with.
While we're at it, did anyone actually read "Tales of Beedle the Bard", for any other reason than trying to see if they could delve Deathly Hallows spoilers?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 11th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I did. It was an interesting read as it brought a different style to how the Wizarding world was told.

Which is why I'm interested in how Fantastic Beasts plays out because it is a step in a different direction.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 11th, 2016, 8:42 pm

The new trailer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 11th, 2016, 8:50 pm

I'm looking forward to getting excited by the trailers for this, only to find out when I see the actual movie that all of the cool shots were literally in the previews, and that most of the "action scenes" are only a few seconds long.

I'm hoping that's not the case, but it is David Yates, so...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 11th, 2016, 10:13 pm

I admit that I've never been much of a Harry Potter fan--both books and movies (and yes, I did manage to get through all the books). But what has me most excited about this film is the news that James Newton Howard will be doing the score.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/04/07 ... find-them/

Howard in fantasy mode (Maleficent, Dinosaur, Atlantis, Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender, King Kong) is just exquisite, so I'm hoping for great things from the music, at least.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2016, 4:22 am

Can you hear the desperation of WB in the music? Far from the initial edict of being set in the same world but not referencing Potter directly, the music here plays Williams' theme twice, most notably the twinkles at the end. After Batman/Superman, WB really cannot afford for this to be anything but a huge HUGE hit (can you imagine the impervious Potter franchise returning with much fanfare but little reaction?) they are going to go all out to ensure its success. As a big JNH fan, I do hope he gets to bring his own feel to things in the actual motion picture score, as opposed to just apeing Williams and having to insert Potter motifs throughout.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 1st, 2016, 9:11 am

That didn't take long. WB wants to make a cured child movie and has trademarked the name!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 1st, 2016, 10:11 am

A cured child movie? Does he have a cold?

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2016, 8:09 am

For us in the know, this is old news! ;)

The plan is for Fantastic Beasts to play out as a trilogy over the next six years (16, 18, 20) and for a two-part movie Cursed Child to then come a year or two after that. WB don't have to get the rights, they automatically have them (JKR only retains publishing).

I don't know anything about then extending that to a new series, but they'll probably want to. As far as I understand it, it's just two movies for now, like the stage play is two parts.

The hope is that WB can convince the original cast to return, by which point they would be approaching the right ages. Although if you look at his facial features, Tom Hiddleston would be a good Harry!

Can't say how I know, but I'm not a million miles away from Leavesdon Studios... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2016, 9:34 pm

Ben wrote:The plan is for Fantastic Beasts to play out as a trilogy over the next six years (16, 18, 20)
That's the PLAN, anyway... :roll:

(There were a lot of movies this summer that had "plans".)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2016, 9:55 pm

FB2 is in prep right now...they move into Leavesden when Justice League wraps up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 6th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Noooooo, they can't make the play into a movie featuring the same actors. That's means that I have to accept the play as concrete canon as opposed to I haven't seen it so it doesn't really have to be canon canon.