Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Post by gaastra » November 14th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Zaslav already pitching a cursed child 2 parter. Why not make a new script?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... ild_harry/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2022, 4:08 pm

"Books"…?

It’s a one book script of a two-act stage show. The idea has always been to make an eventual film as a two-part "coda" to the original run of films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 14th, 2022, 5:42 pm

Because Warner always has to make movies in twos and threes, and EVERY studio now makes finales in two-parters, because they're too chicken to empty-nest and let go in just one release year.

(Dates back to when Warner thought they had to slavishly follow every word of the books, didn't know how they could handle JK's new mega-lengths with Goblet of Fire, and thought they could do that one as a two-parter...
And then The Matrix Revolutions and Kill Bill v2 happened, and quickly sold them on the idea of creative one-film condensations. :lol: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2022, 7:27 pm

Well, no. To be fair, the Cursed Child was a two-part, four hour stage experience. Making two films is not only the way to go, but was a given from the start in this case.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 14th, 2022, 8:44 pm

And Kill Bill was a financial and critical success, but anyway…
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 4th, 2023, 11:29 am

TV series reboot nears greenlight.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2023, 4:10 pm

Point? Being? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 4th, 2023, 4:45 pm

To expand on plot and character arcs/details that the films had to omit for runtime, of course! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2023, 7:42 pm

So I guess we can wait on getting season eight around 2050-2055, then, to account for the kids growing up old enough to play their adult selves…? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 5th, 2023, 5:01 am

Finally, all those fans who complained about the plot involving Hermoine freeing house elves can stop SPEWing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 12th, 2023, 3:06 pm

It's official:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 12th, 2023, 10:45 pm

This could very well be great, but it still feels sooner than necessary.

However...

Long live the ELF!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2023, 5:13 am

The two things I hoped for before clicking to play that teaser were:

1) No John Williams music. Let this be its own thing entirely and not just a longer extension of the films. Unless it continuously wants to be compared to the films, it really needs to go in a completely new direction. Unfortunately it’s an immediate fail on that count, and only speaks to the fact that this was rushed to make the Max announcement, but they could just have easily used generic magicky music and not the films’ score.

2) As it played and we got the same looking candles from the films, I hoped we would at least have a new logo, for the same reasons above. Let the films be their thing, and let this be its own new thing, with its new cast, adaptation, music…and logo. Yes, obviously I get the whole brand recognition thing, but arguably the brand is just in the words "Harry Potter" and a new logo would have created just as much — more? — excitement. Again, rushed.

Weirdly, as much as I’ve never too cared for the Potter logo (it feels too cold and full of hard edges to be truly magical, whatever glow and gold coloring they give it), it’s never looked more like Harry Polter than at the end here. Howabout as well as a new logo, maybe an entire series title change. Hogwarts maybe? Seems they’re bound to open up backstories more and go for extra inclusivity, so a wider title than just Harry Potter And The Whatever It Is This Season might be good. Hogwarts would fit that bill (and get out of the whole Philosopher/Sorcerer fuddle; I can’t believe they will go through all that again, and will settle on one or the other).

Separately, I wonder if JKR has agreed to this if WB lets her finish off Fantastic Beasts? They would do well to wrap things up, even if just with one more film, to make it a complete story for future airings, connectivity and collectibility, and I’m sure she has an eye on that. I’m no fan of that series, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we also get word of a final film sooner than later.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 13th, 2023, 7:16 am

Everything is going to be the same as the films except the cast. They have theme parks designed after the visuals in the movies, they are not going to change that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 13th, 2023, 1:00 pm

Farerb wrote:
April 13th, 2023, 7:16 am
Everything is going to be the same as the films except the cast. They have theme parks designed after the visuals in the movies, they are not going to change that.
Technically we're talking about two completely different studios. Warner Bros. is making this and Universal runs the parks. So WB doesn't have to keep the two aligned.