Hotel Transylvania 4

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Hotel Transylvania 4

Post by Dacey » May 19th, 2021, 1:44 am

Well....somehow we don't have a Hotel Transylvania thread! Anyway, issue resolved:

https://animatedviews.com/2021/everyone ... a-trailer/

Does anyone have any idea why Sandler left apparently very abruptly here? Creative differences? Not a big enough paycheck amid potential budget cuts due to lower box office expectations under a pandemic? I hope it's not because he's in "trouble" of any kind, but then I haven't heard anything. It's just...very weird that it's happened with no given explanation.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Hotel Transylvania 4

Post by Randall » May 19th, 2021, 2:04 am

I hadn't heard anything until now, but it does seem pretty strange to have not wrapped up their star for the final film. Looking around the 'net, though, I see now that Sandler claimed he was too busy with other projects. But Cartoon Brew cites creative differences with Genndy, as Sandler even dropped out of his producing role, while Genndy stayed on to executive produce and write the film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 19th, 2021, 4:22 am

Yeah, being "too busy" doesn’t wash. Pocahontas famously recorded Mel Gibson's vocals in location trailers and whenever they could nab him, and it’s often par for the course to grab a line here or there.

They could have easily made it work with having a stand-in vocalist basically provide the voice for animation and then just have Sandler come in an ADR it, like Mike Myers did for most of Shrek when Chris Farley died, and then did the whole movie over with the soft Scottish brogue after all the animation was done.

There are ways and means, and it’s not like Sandler doesn’t do these kinds of things for a quick paycheck either, so he could have just turned up (or not) and just said some words for some easy money.

My plain and simple guess is that this time that paycheck wasn’t quite as much as he wanted and, rather than stick with a character and studio that has been very good to him over the years, he's bailed back to his rich Netflix pickings, kind of ironically when they are now the ones that are picking up Sony's product for premieres or post-theatrical streaming rights...!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm

I'm shocked there was never a thread! A quick lookie shows that it has been brought up, most of time to say that the second movie "bombed". Well, let's just say that's way off-base, but no surprise given who said it...

This will be the second time Brian Hull voices Drac, the first being on the short "Monster Pets". Hardly noticeable, although the voice was never that unique to begin with. Still a shame though given its the final chapter. Oh well.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 19th, 2021, 12:37 pm

It is a shame, because although Sandler on the surface is doing a Lugosi impression, he brings a wonderful warmth and tenderness to the role. It's clear how much he loves his daughter from the genuine affection of his voice alone.

Not sure if a YouTube star--however talented he may be--will be able to capture that or not, but good for him for getting a very big break here.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 19th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Before finding out about Brian Hull, I wondered why Sony would STILL be working with Adam Sandler, since they basically barred and locked him out of the studio, for reasons I suspect have more to do than just "Grown Ups 2".
Yes, Sony keeps trotting Drac back as their "house icon" every time they think Sony Animation has made a "comeback" with some other hit, but how long could they keep pretending?

Adam's new career of producing Netflix-exclusive movies has even contributed a new term to our streaming-fan lingo, as we joke about actors, directors and animated films being "Adam-Sandlered" to Netflix after becoming paid-box-office poison.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 23rd, 2021, 3:46 pm

Being moved from July 23 to a more appropriate October 1.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2021, 4:54 pm

Still a chance Sandler might still get offered enough moolah to just come in and ADR his lines, then…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 25th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Don't see that happening but it would be cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 25th, 2021, 6:30 pm

And now going to come out the same day as addams family 2. Both animated monsters films aimed at the same crowd plus dune is there as well. Yeah real smart there sony. Should have stayed where you were.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 25th, 2021, 6:51 pm

I've never watched the Hotel Transylvania films, but wouldn't releasing the next film in the series the same day as another similar movie financial suicide?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Seems more likely that Addams will move. Hotel Transylvania is the bigger franchise right now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Really? A part four and its lead voice a no-show? I was actually thinking Sony might have dumped it there on purpose, knowing that it doesn’t really have a chance, and given itself a couple of valid reasons as to why it doesn’t do very well…no?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 25th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Studio says addams family 2 is not moving!

https://deadline.com/2021/06/addams-fam ... 234778397/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm

October tends to be a dump since they KNOW the kids are back in school (it was the same place Imagi's "Astro Boy" was dumped), so normally, yes.

Although at this point, all the traditional theories about movie seasons have been wiped clean and scrambled by the pandemic--and an audience that thinks seeing a movie in theaters anytime is now "rebellious"--so it's out there on its own merit.
And...how much we really cared about HT to begin with, with or without Sandler. All it really has is a non-Disney toon-fan character cult of "Mavis: the Movie", and she's not the biggest sell in this story.