Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Post by Daniel » June 26th, 2019, 2:15 pm

A look at the Target Exclusive:

NICE! Simply stunning. A sneaky way of having Mary Blair art if one didn't go the Disney Store route. Actually, I feel the pictures included here are more pretty and interesting. Just take a look at the back with Lady Tremaine! Dig the little gallery and storybook included. Seem pretty thorough given the size. Neat freebie. Love the overall prestige appearance of the packaging and attention to detail. If you look closely, you'll see each of the three mice are represented on separate spines. So cute! Target really did Cindy justice! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 26th, 2019, 9:15 pm

I've sworn off any more re-releases of the Disney films (of those that have Blu-rays already), but that does look nice.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Yeah, that’s actually pretty sweet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 28th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Cinderella retold in a new medium:

So cute and unique!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 17th, 2023, 4:23 pm

Getting the 4K treatment next month: (general release in August)

Sample of the transfer. Looks very promising.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2023, 8:57 pm

As long as the colors are right, we will be pleased. The general release version apparently loses the DVD, BTW, and just has the 4K, BD and digicode. I’m just hoping that dress is more silver and *not* as blue as on that cover — Cinders is *not* Sleeping Beauty! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 18th, 2023, 9:30 am

I should come here more often, but I had to come back for this.

I am so happy. No, ecstatic. It's a new restoration, first of all. That alone would have me excited, because it meant they listened to and at least tried again for fans. Second, it actually looks good and faithful. How faithful? Let's discuss!

The first thing I looked for after being astounded by the new transfer clip was the Fairy Godmother's blouse or top or whatever under her cloak. In the Laserdsic, and all previous versions till the 2005 DVD, it was lighter than her cloak and skirt:

In the 2005 Platinum and Blu-rays, it was mistakenly made the same color as the rest of her outfit:

For Berlinale's 2023 clip, it's finally back to being lighter, but now the Fairy Godmother's ensemble looks very blue:

In the transformation, the magic dust in the Laserdisc looked like this;

The 2005 restoration botched it and the DVD and Blu-rays made some of that dust disappear. Especially look above Cindy's arms and head:

But it's all finally back, in Berlinale 2023's clip!:

So, it looks like we got the linework and magic dust and details all back, but the colors are questionable. So, are the colors wrong?

Here are two cels from the film:

Cinderella's dress is very gray, and her hair is very mustard gold. I have always liked her hair like that, so I can't complain that this restoration has that color. The cels of the Fairy Godmother have usually been very purple, though, from what I have seen. So why does her costume look so blue now? Did it look blue in the Black Diamond Classics VHS? I remember thinking it was blue as a child, but maybe the 2005 restoration had the colors more right?! Maybe Cinderella's hair was more brownish orange and the Fairy Godmother's costume more blueish purple.

What I think maybe happened was Disney may have not color-timed the negatives properly. You see, cels have different colors when timed in Technirama or whatever. Maybe Cinderella didn't have Technirama, but I have a little anecdote I need to share. When DIsney restored Sleeping Beauty again in 2008, they saw the cels of Aurora had green hair. So they had to do the right Technirama color timing to get the gold shade. That's what they said anyway (I can't recall seeing Aurora cels with green hair). So, I dunno what's going on with the colors. I actually LIKE most of the colors of the 2005 restoration! It was just the disappearing lines and magic dust that bothered me (and Cindy's dress not being silver enough at the entrance of the ball). BUT I still like what Berlinale has!

Someone said they saw an IB Technicolor print of this film, and that her har was the dirty blonde Berlinale color. But another person said Disney production notes wrote that Cinderella's hair was titian, the brownish orange color!

So, in conclusion, I guess Disney may not have done the film as faithful as it could be yet again, but this new transfer with all the details intact, I will very, very happily take. In fact, this honestly is a dream come true. It doesn't just make my day. It makes my LIFE. I even prayed for this! So, this is a Godsend and I'm ecstatic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 18th, 2023, 2:39 pm

Hey Duster! I knew the release would make you appear! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2023, 9:04 pm

Nice to see you again, and, yes, I agree on the colours. I just wanted the dress to be silver, as stated above, and it looks like they have adhered to that. Godmother's clothes have always been more blue, though maybe pushed a bit more here. Then again, it could just be that this new redo, pulling out every detail, is showing us the correct colour and detail unseen for over 70 years. It’s so long ago that any comparisons are pretty much moot at this point, but the original intention finally looks to have been preserved here. The abundance of blue in the previous "restoration", and inappropriate colouring of certain elements were not previously pleasing. Here, even if it’s not totally authentic, it’s at least as close as we can get for so long between production and home video release. And it looks sharp as a tack, with great depth and detail. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foualier » February 19th, 2023, 7:32 pm

https://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/articl ... inale.html

In this article about the Cinderella screening at the Berlinale, it reads (use Google translate):
“ A circle closes: we are the first audience in the world to see the digitally restored version in the Haus der Berliner Festspiele. Cheering in the auditorium, which was equally occupied by children and adults.
Cinderella got back her "ash blonde" hair and silver ball gown, Clark Spencer, president of Walt Disney Animation Studios, said ahead of the film.”

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2023, 7:52 pm

Great to have it confirmed!

Now, at the risk of sounding ungrateful, we just need all the other Walt-era animated classics between 1937 and 1967 — for a start — to get the same treatment! :) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 20th, 2023, 12:01 am

They haven't received as bad a treatment as Cinderella did. Other than lack of grain, they still retain some texture, their lines are intact and the colors are fine.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2023, 8:02 am

The Sword In The Stone and Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh say hi. :)

And you don’t want all the others in 4K…? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 20th, 2023, 8:28 am

Ben wrote:
February 20th, 2023, 8:02 am
The Sword In The Stone and Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh say hi. :)

And you don’t want all the others in 4K…? ;)
The Sword in the Stone was already fixed on 4K.

Of course I do. I'd buy most of Disney's hand drawn features in 4K. Maybe all of them for completion's sake, not sure it'll ever happen though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 20th, 2023, 3:39 pm

Hi Daniel! Hi Ben! So nice to see you again! Haha Daniel, you were right! Thanks Foualier for the info! I completey agree with Ben and Farerb about everything! We don't know how Cinderella was supposed to look, but this latest restoration seems to have restored it the best anyway. I mean, maybe Disney could have looked at what the cels looked like color timed, but, hey, maybe they did that too, who knows? I'll trust this version because like Ben said, it has all this depth and is sharp as a tack! I didn't think it could get any sharper, but it did!