Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2023, 5:03 pm

Hey Dusty! The "trouble" with checking back against cels is that a cel will have been painted knowing what the camera lighting and exposure would have been for various stocks. Even against a first generation print taken from an original camera negative, the colours would never have been close to a cel, just like two display screens next to each other are rarely in the same colour space.

Farerb…where is Sword In The Stone in 4K? If it’s D+ then a stream is not really a suitable solution. In fact, I prefer a BD over a 4K stream (with all of its banding) if a disc isn’t available. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 20th, 2023, 11:08 pm

Not just Disney+, it's available on digital as well. I own it on digital and I prefer it to the Blu-ray, which is unwatchable in my opinion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2023, 5:21 am

Sorry, I didn’t mean I prefer the BD in this case. Another reason we need a physical 4K, not that it’s going to happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 21st, 2023, 5:46 am

Yeah, I agree that BD is better than the digital in general.

I never thought Disney would release Cinderella on 4K so you never know...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2023, 9:36 am

:) The big Walt titles would definitely be appreciated (Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Alice, Pan, Lady/Tramp, Beauty, Dalmatians, Sword/Stone and Jungle Book, if nothing else, and especially if given definitive final restorations. That’s not *too* many, actually, though I doubt we'll see more than maybe half of those, if that. Maybe the Big Five, if we're lucky.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foualier » February 21st, 2023, 7:28 pm

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on Disney's habits nowadays. Why do you all think it will be hard to get the old titles on physical 4K?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 21st, 2023, 7:41 pm

Disney simply isn't offering too much on home video these days, and certainly not many catalog titles on 4K.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 21st, 2023, 9:33 pm

Foualier wrote:
February 21st, 2023, 7:28 pm
Sorry, I'm not up to speed on Disney's habits nowadays. Why do you all think it will be hard to get the old titles on physical 4K?
Cinderella is the first animated film they have released since November 2020! Maybe it's a sign that they decided to release the old classics on 4K, but it could also be a one time thing only, maybe they finally realized they need to fix Cinderella, who knows?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2023, 3:18 am

If nothing else, it’s a test to see how it sells, naturally. Hope it does well enough to warrant more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 23rd, 2023, 1:18 am

Thanks for the info, Ben! I didn't fully understand it though. If timing the colors a certain way didn't make the colors look the same every time they were timed that way, wouldn't the films have different colors from frame to frame?!

But I agree, this is a test, waiting to see how it sells. Also, to finally fix something they should have long ago! It may even be something just for the fans...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2023, 1:27 am

Dusterian wrote:
February 23rd, 2023, 1:18 am
But I agree, this is a test, waiting to see how it sells. Also, to finally fix something they should have long ago! It may even be something just for the fans...?
Up till now, all the 4K's have been 90s Renaissance, Pixar, live-action and current, simply because they've had the high-definition (IMAX) upgrades.
Now they're testing how much restoration to put into the former Vault Edition titles first, and then go on to realize that the 4K releases now seem to be the biggest sellers among the physical fans at the moment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 23rd, 2023, 1:50 am

DVD still outsells Blu-ray and UHD combined:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 23rd, 2023, 11:51 pm

DMC tried pulling a fast one here in Canada. They have the regular 4K cover on their front page, with no bilingual cover. I almost went for it. But no, when you click on "Respond now", it brings you to a page with this:

Sigh.

However, then I remembered that Cendrillon is the original name of the original story, so... hm. Not so bad. Still, it looks cluttered with two titles on it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 24th, 2023, 12:49 am

Sadly yes, it looks cluttered that way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 24th, 2023, 1:35 am

The funniest thing to me is that they repeat the "4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray...." twice even though they basically say the exact same thing. Does Disney think that French Canadian are stupid to the point where they can't understand "digital code" but will understand "code numérique" only??