Corpse Bride

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » November 21st, 2005, 8:37 pm

yes yes its coming out. i loved this movie. i cant wait.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 22nd, 2005, 10:47 am

Mark Cuban has been advocating this for awhile now, going even further suggesting day and date releases in theatres, DVD, and TV. He's even gone as far as to start test marketing it with his theatres, film production and distribution companies, and TV network. To compensate theatres (the biggest hurdle to this happening) he advocates giving 1% of the DVD sale profits to theatres. He, rightly I think, points out that theatres could make a killing selling the DVD of a film right outside the theatre door as you leave the film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 10:55 am

The problem is those that don't go in to see the film in the first place.

They need to do it like a theme park ride and have the discs on the "other side of the movie".

Might work if they did a discount - get half your theater ticket money back off the disc, so instead of $24.95 or something, you'd get the DVD as you left the theater for $18.95.

Releasing day and date will knock off theatrical business as people would simply take the movie home to watch for much cheaper.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 22nd, 2005, 12:13 pm

*dances with happiness*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 4:42 pm

Is that, like, a Kevin Costner movie?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 22nd, 2005, 5:37 pm

Ben wrote:The problem is those that don't go in to see the film in the first place.

They need to do it like a theme park ride and have the discs on the "other side of the movie".

Might work if they did a discount - get half your theater ticket money back off the disc, so instead of $24.95 or something, you'd get the DVD as you left the theater for $18.95.

Releasing day and date will knock off theatrical business as people would simply take the movie home to watch for much cheaper.

One potential way to get around this is to have people "redeem" their ticket stubs to be able to get the DVD of the film they just saw.

Sure, there would be SOME abuses, but it's one way of taking care of the problem of people snatching films they haven't paid to see yet in theaters.

THAT SAID, I still think this is a bad idea.

I really think debuting films on DVD at the same time as theaters IS GOING TO KILL THEATERS.

There's no if's, and's, or but's about it.

Even if -- Heaven forbid! -- DVD discounts were discontinued and we all had to pay FULL MSRP for DVDs, theaters would still get killed because a $30 DVD is STILL cheaper to pay for than post-matinee prices at most theaters. It's even cheaper still if your kid wants to see a movie a million times. What's cheaper -- paying theater admission 3-5 times to see a movie, or just paying for the DVD once?

Right now, theaters have to get costs under control because the current quality of film product does NOT attract people to movie theaters. C- and D-list quality films won't get my A-list film prices no matter how many positive reviews a film gets. If I don't like what I see in trailers or hear in descriptions, I'm not going to see a film regardless of what critics say. Besides, most nationally syndicated critics are bought-and-paid-for buffoons as a lot of us know.

I know that when I go to theaters I don't buy food there because it's ridiculously overpriced. It's expensive enough to see a film, but if I have to pay inflated popcorn and beverage prices I might as well skip the movie and got out on a date at a nice restaurant for what I'm getting charged!

This is all about supply and demand and getting the most for your buck. If the movie system changes to a direct-DVD format, there's no question movie theaters will dry up quickly...

Eventually, theaters could go the way of the dodo in the same way video game arcades died out after home gaming systems got so good that there was little difference from video game arcades.

People have home theater setups that are basically more comfortable than what they get in theaters. As these things get cheaper and the technology gets better, unless theaters offer something substantially better, people WILL stop going.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2005, 2:16 pm

I agree, though there is still the communal experience...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » November 23rd, 2005, 3:19 pm

i think Tim Burton's Corpse Bride should get a award. it was great. i loved the songs. and part were he played the pinao by himself. was so good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Corpse Bride DVD

Post by JustinWilliams » January 11th, 2006, 4:27 am

Interestingly, the R2 release of The Corpse Bride gets, in addition to the already announced version, what is called 'The Collector's Edition'. This edition, acccording to information on Play.com includes a '96 page version of An Invitation To The Wedding book plus a set of 8 film still postcards'. Additionally the DVD cover appears to have slightly
different artwork to the other version.

As nice as this is, I would still want the Region 4 version which is rumoured to have an audio commentary.

Do we sense a double dip with this tile? 'Nightmare' had a few releases before the Special Edition - but I think that was due to the DVD market's growth and desire for additional content. Hmmmm. We'll see.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2006, 6:22 pm

I believe that we already have a thread for this.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » January 11th, 2006, 6:33 pm

I believe in fairies.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Uh...

I like grapes.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 11th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Goo foe u.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2006, 6:49 pm

What are we talking about?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 11th, 2006, 6:56 pm

You started it.