Garfield

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Garfield (CG/Live action)

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2005, 4:53 pm

comingsoon.net confirms that the long-rumored "Garfield" sequel will indeed be made, and is slated for a July 2006 release date.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 7th, 2005, 5:06 pm

That's... just... sad... :shock:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2005, 5:12 pm

I hope that it will be better than the first one. Not that the first one was terrible or anything. I just hope this one's better.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » April 7th, 2005, 5:18 pm

so... people actually went to see the first one? my gawd this is lame

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 7th, 2005, 5:46 pm

Yeah Patrick, I went to see the first one (well... on DVD) cause I love the comic strip and I had this vain hope that the film would do it justice. Boy, was I wrong!
To be honest, Jane, I really thought the first one was terrible... And the second will be worse (rule of thumb) as it will only be made because it's cheap to make, not because they figured out a brilliant story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 7th, 2005, 6:32 pm

I was never really a big fan of the comic strip so I didn't have high hopes for the movie. I did see it and thought it was okay.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2005, 8:47 am

It made something like $80m in America alone, so that was the moeny back for making the film. Internationally, it did about the same if not more, so that was P&A covered and a bit of profit. Total DVD sales - not including the 2-disc that was put out around the world and will come to region 1 eventually - is pretty much pure profit, so of course a sequel is in the works!

Never caught it myself, though it's on PPV at the moment in the UK, so might try and catch it before it goes, just to have seen it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 8th, 2005, 6:48 pm

I'm not saying the "Garfield" movie was great. The storyline wasn't strong, and the villain annoys the heck outta me. But I liked Bill Murray, and the film had its moments of comedy (For some reason I find the dancing scene really funny).

I think that the sequel could be better because the first film was all set-up. And since the animators have more experience this time around, Garfield himself might be on camera more.

Sometimes you can be surprised. Case in point, I didn't care much for the first "Stuart Little" but found myself really enjoying the sequel.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2005, 10:29 am

Hmmm... Know what you mean by Stuart Little.

I liked the first, but the second really pushed the awwwe factor for me! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 10th, 2005, 11:51 am

The sequel had friggen JAMES WOODS as the voice of the Hawk.
JAMES.
WOODS.
That just SCREAMS awesome.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 10th, 2005, 12:30 pm

It was actually a falcon, wasn't it?

And NATHAN LANE usually screams AWESOME too. The strange thing is that I only found him funny in the sequel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 10th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Hawk, falcon, whatever.
Point is, it was JAMES FRIGGEN WOODS.
Best Hades ever.

And yes. Nathan Lane owns.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 11th, 2005, 12:01 am

I totally agree with the above! :wink:

"i can't believe it, I'm arguing with lunch."

:lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 11th, 2005, 5:29 pm

James Woods' performance for Hercules was one of the best voice acting performances in the history of animation, and lifted the character up to par with timeless Disney Villains like Madame Medusa, Cruella DeVil and Captain Hook if you ask me!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 11th, 2005, 6:36 pm

I think that's because he balanced the "charming, charismatic" side of Hades with the quietly menacing side very well. He was likable, but quite evil as well.

"WHAT? THE FATES ARE HERE AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME????!!!!" (Blue hair turns flaming red)

"Hades, Lord of the Dead. How ya doin'?"

In the TV cartoon Hercules, (which he also voiced) Hades was a lot more innocuous, more like a "funny villain" than a really evil one. He just kept annoying the gods on mount Olympous by trying to upstage Zeus or hatching up another plan to mess with Hercules. He was more comic relief than anything.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!