Barbie live action film

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Barbie live action film

Post by Daniel » April 7th, 2023, 4:12 pm

They released a Barbie Selfie Generator to mimic the character posters. What a genius marketing move.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 8th, 2023, 4:11 am

Oh, THAT'S what those nonsensical memes flooding Twitter are about!
I was looking at them as "Um....o-kayyy? :? "

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 24th, 2023, 3:43 pm

Lobby display allows fans to become a mint-in-box doll:

That is so cool!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2023, 5:05 pm

That is marketing genius.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2023, 3:38 pm

Description of what was shown:
Discussing Film wrote:CinemaCon got a look at a new trailer for Greta Gerwig’s Barbie. The footage kicks off with Margot Robbie’s Barbie living her best life in Barbie Land, waking up every morning to the same comical routine and hanging out with her fellow Barbies and Kens. They have beach and disco night parties where they break out into synchronized dance numbers. Margot’s Barbie accidently breaks the mood one day when she asks her fellow dolls if they’ve ever thought about death while dancing in a hilarious needle scratch moment.

From that moment on, our main Barbie starts to experience side effects from her curiosity, which includes her heel-shaped feet going flat like normal humans. This, of course, scares the living hell out of her fellow dolls. Her friends encourage her to visit “the Weird Barbie” who lives on top of this hill in a zany and bizarre dollhouse. The Weird Barbie is played by Kate McKinnon and is dressed in a mix match of different colorful outfits while also stuck doing the splits with her legs. She knows the truth about their world and offers our main Barbie a choice like in The Matrix – choose the pink heel to stay in Barbie Land or choose a dirty sandal to learn the origins of being a doll. Margot’s Barbie just wants to go back to her simple life but the Weird Barbie forces her to take the sandal.

Margot’s Barbie is next seen in the desert driving out of Barbie Land in her pink convertible. Ken surprises her by secretly sneaking in the back seat to tag along for the ride since they’re an inseparable dup. From there on, the two explore reality while behaving like their pastiche selves, from roller skating at the Santa Monica Pier to getting arrested by the police for causing all kinds of humorous mischief. Will Ferrell, who is the CEO of the company that invented all the dolls and runs Barbie Land in secrecy, discovers that two of their subjects have escaped and launches a full search mission. America Ferrera’s character is a suit who works for Ferrell and joins in on the search.

As Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling cause chaos in reality, the rest of the Barbies and Kens back home start to grow suspicious and ask questions. A Barbie vs. Ken war soon ensues within all their confusion. This trailer finally sheds more light on what the actual plot of Greta Gerwig’s Barbie is going to be. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling’s adventures in the real world will more than likely take up most of the second half of the movie while the rest of the Barbies and Kens run amok back in Barbie Land. Will Ferrell and America Ferrera will also have to come to terms with their own creations in the dolls as they lose control of their toy empire. John Cena’s merman Ken with long hair is briefly seen in Barbie Land at the beach. Maybe he’s a partner to Dua Lipa’s Mermaid Barbie?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 29th, 2023, 2:50 am

Will Ferrell, who is the CEO of the company that invented all the dolls and runs Barbie Land in secrecy
---
Ferrell and America Ferrera will also have to come to terms with their own creations in the dolls as they lose control of their toy empire.
...Okay, who had "Lego Movie" in their betting pool, somebody just collected!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 29th, 2023, 3:50 am

Why, that would be…me! ;)
Ben wrote:
April 5th, 2023, 4:03 am
From the character posters above, I love how they are going with this, and the trailer pays it off: multiple Barbies and Kens? Cool idea. Obviously it is going to ultimately just be about one particular Barbie, and Ken, by the look of it, but looks like wherever they are (and whoever is playing with them??) has a lot of the differently available dolls. Is this another Lego Movie set-up? Is Ferrell the same/similar businessman character? Is this all set in a Mattel development lab? Lots of fun questions! Hope the eventual movie is as bonkers but potentially brilliant as it looks…!
Still a bunch of questions — will this ultimately be a crossover? Seems a bit coinkidink that he’s playing such a similar character for the same studio. Might be a joke reference, like "I gave up Lego" or even a "I hate Lego" nod, seeing that Lego has moved its license, I think to Universal. Interesting to see how they make the Enchanted premise work, given that there’s presumably no "magic spells" involved this time…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2023, 4:12 am

I was first! ;)
Daniel wrote:
April 11th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Will Ferrell joins the cast. Plot twist, the whole film is the sister of Finn from The Lego Movie playing with her Barbies and Will is playing their dad again! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 29th, 2023, 12:04 pm

That was a year ago, I never remembered that! Plus I took it that you were making a sardonic jokey comment, I thought, while I was making a connection. Not that it matters! Unless he literally *is* playing the dad to Finn's sister! I’d have to give you that. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2023, 2:36 pm

He could also be a long lost sibling. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2023, 4:39 am

The family that CEOs together, plays together. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 25th, 2023, 1:12 pm

New trailer:

Looks so awesome, loved the music. Ken's mugshot. :lol: I like how Barbie floats from her house, similar to how a little kid would pick up Barbie and put her in the car. Fun detail. They used the song!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2023, 4:58 am

If only briefly, how, really, could they not!? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 26th, 2023, 6:33 pm

Apparently, Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice (whoever that is) have teamed up with Aqua to recreate the song as Barbie World for the film. That snippet of the song almost confirms the dread I got when I read about the collaboration.

I know a lot of people are getting excited with each trailer dropped, but they are having the opposite effect. Like I found that was a chore to sit through. It is giving me the vibes that the humour is of the Will Ferrell style, and I am not a fan of that humour. I will check it out, but maybe on home release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 26th, 2023, 6:54 pm

Yeah, I really wish they would've just let Aqua do it all themselves. I don't know who Ice Spice is either, but can't stand Nicki Minaj.