Disney Pixar's Elemental

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney Pixar's Elemental

Post by James » May 18th, 2022, 9:53 pm

Dacey wrote:
May 18th, 2022, 1:24 pm
...But it’s not “ethnic” so I guess it doesn’t count as far as this ridicule goes. :roll:

(Seriously, let’s try to watch how we word things here)
Agreed for all sides.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 19th, 2022, 1:15 am

Reading the synopsis I instantly thought of Zootopia and seeing the concept art I thought of Inside Out. And I am here for it cause it sounds like it has the potential to explore the world. As long as the story is strong and enjoyable I'm happy for the same beats to hit. I mean there is a reason why rom-coms are enjoyed by many people, you know the ending before you even buy the ticket but it's the journey getting there that makes it worth watching (most of the time).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 13th, 2022, 4:20 pm

Here's the concept pic again since it got lost with all the hijacking:

It appears there are water slides for the water people and wind turbines for the air people. So cute and imaginative so far.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 1:51 pm

Image and info:

Deadline wrote:Disney’s Pixar today named the lead voice actors for its upcoming animated feature, Elemental. The film’s director Peter Sohn and producer Denise Ream, who previously collaborated on The Good Dinosaur, announced the castings, as they brought to the stage actors Mamoudou Athie (Jurassic World Dominion) and Leah Lewis (The Half of It).

Inspired by Sohn’s childhood in New York, Elemental journeys alongside an unlikely pair, Ember (Lewis) and Wade (Athie), in a city where fire, water, land and air-residents live together. The fiery young woman and the go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: how much they actually have in common.

“The idea [for Elemental] started with my parents. As immigrants to the U.S. from Korea in the ’70s, they had no family, nothing. But they managed to create a life here in New York,” Sohn said in introducing the film. “And just like them, many people have left their people and families to a new land, with hopes and dreams, all mixing into one big salad bowl of cultures, languages and neighborhoods.”

Ream went on to describe the story as one “about anyone who’s ever made a sacrifice or taken a risk, set it in the hustle and bustle of the city, but with a twist.”
Osmosis Jones totally came to mind. They look awesome in the still and it sounds like a love story. Really liking this so far.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 10th, 2022, 5:50 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Osmosis Jones as well.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 10th, 2022, 5:52 pm

The director was apparently an animator on Osmosis.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 10th, 2022, 7:10 pm

This looks fine, but I'm wondering if Pixar intends to always stay locked into its signature cuddly look. Shall innovative character design be left to Sony?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 17th, 2022, 12:02 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 17th, 2022, 12:12 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2022, 1:05 pm

Coming to Disney+ Aug 11. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 17th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Ben wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 1:05 pm
Coming to Disney+ Aug 11. ;)
I noticed you planted that on my birthday. Nice!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2022, 3:37 am

Ah! :)

I just went for a likely timeframe (it’ll probably be around late July), but saw this is also apparently something called National Son and Daughter Day — yeah, who knew? — so thought it was cheesy enough that Disney would arbitrarily pick it to drop a family movie! But, yeah, it would be cool for it to drop around then for your day! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 18th, 2022, 2:45 pm

The train schedule is designed like a periodic table! Love little details like that. Song used is "Hell N Back" by Bakar. Fantastic choice, catchy and relaxing. Very colorful and so many interesting characters. Think it looks cute.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2022, 3:54 am

I did love the names, very cute. I got quite an "adult", or maybe that should be mature vibe, from this, which I’m hoping supplements the usual soft 'n' squishy, roundy-bouncy Pixar designs and animation. Walking through the train — my, she really does have hot legs, don’t she? ;) — I did enjoy a couple of the gags, but it all felt like bits of things we’ve seen before, mostly from Inside Out and Soul, but the way the voices sounded at the end is more "grow up" than we usually get in a Pixar outing, and I’m hoping that’s a touch that maybe gives this a bit more gravitas over the more obvious and almost now traditional, er, elements…!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 19th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Loved seeing the clouds again from "Partly Cloudy", which makes sense since Peter Sohn also directed that. If you really think about, aside from WALL-E and the beginning of Up, Pixar doesn't really have a straight up romance film. This has so much potential.