Disney Pixar's Elemental

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Pixar's Elemental

Post by ShyViolet » May 17th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Because the films themselves haven't actually been that good. Most are fine. But they're not great. Continuing to only focus on "representing cultures that haven’t really been explored all that much in animation" while not making good movies? That's a rut.
Yeah, but I really don’t think the filmmakers/producers purposely set out to make a mediocre film as long as it was diverse. Again, with respect, these are all assumptions.

I mean, if a film isn’t that great, it’s obviously going to lose money. Why would any studio in Hollywood be OK with losing money?
That's the point I and I think Eric are getting at. Just giving a second generation immigrant carte blanche to make any film they want does not deserve praise from anyone.
Yeah, but we don’t know any of this. In my opinion, it’s really not likely. :?
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 17th, 2022, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 17th, 2022, 3:28 pm

Farerb wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm
It's just weird to me that now Pixar is labeled as being stuck in a rut and not the decade they made 7 sequels and only 4 original movies, two of which were completely mediocre...
Not sure where you were, but EVERYBODY was complaining about that at the time! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 17th, 2022, 3:32 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 3:24 pm
...Again, with respect, these are all assumptions...

...Yeah, but we don’t know any of this...
You're right, so let's be clear! We're all just speculating and giving opinions based on what we think we know and what's on screen. That's about all we can do!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2022, 3:46 pm

A real "issue" with any of these films is that, whatever and wherever the singular writer-slash-director voice comes from, they are ultimately fashioned by committees and meddling studio execs. And these people come from *all* backgrounds, predominant or not.

As for the films being any "good", that’s always open to personal opinion. Or you can say, for a fact, that movies are not as "good" as they used to be:
Ben wrote: …the Disney and Pixar offerings of the year, even if nothing was really outstanding outstanding, perhaps after being spolied for too long where there are no real surprises anymore.
:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 18th, 2022, 12:28 am

Of the 10 Pixar films that have come out since Inside Out, the only one I consider outstanding is Coco. And my next best-liked one is Luca. Most of the others were mediocre at best. (And the three before Inside Out are among my least-liked Pixar films.)

So, what does that tell you about what I think of this discussion?

Were Good Dino, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Onward, and Soul better than Turning Red? That's subjective, but for me it's a hard "no."

I don't think the problem is soft-handing "diverse" talents. To think that is to overly focus on one or two films one didn't care for. The real issue is that the studio is pumping out a lot of product, and they're moving too fast to make them all good or even unique. In an era where there are increasingly fewer stories left to tell, I think the more personal ones can be the most involving.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2022, 5:14 am

Just to play devil's advocate, I will say that I think TS4 was better than Turning Red, simply as it probably has more replay value as part of that series overall, but as something to be *enjoyed* then Red was certainly "better" than any of the sequel movies, or any of the Cars films altogether. And out of that sampling above, I think Dory is perhaps the nadir of the studio, again outside the Cars flicks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2022, 12:32 pm

Farerb wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 2:16 pm
I can't wait for the fiery female character to be more assertive than you like and then you start claiming this movie doesn't have a real story or whatever.
So true. :lol:
EricJ wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 2:53 pm
Three Circle 7 contract-obligations
This is incorrect.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 18th, 2022, 1:12 pm

Randall wrote:
May 18th, 2022, 12:28 am
Of the 10 Pixar films that have come out since Inside Out, the only one I consider outstanding is Coco. And my next best-liked one is Luca. Most of the others were mediocre at best. (And the three before Inside Out are among my least-liked Pixar films.)
Although Coco seemed like the transitional film BETWEEN the "Alternate world" era and the "Family albums of my dear old ethnic grandmother" era, where, like Turning Red, the most enthusiastic reviews come from those who actually had a dear old abuelita, which isn't exactly the credit or fault of the filmmakers.
One could subjectively enjoy any movie if it reminded you of your mother.
Were Good Dino, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Onward, and Soul better than Turning Red? That's subjective, but for me it's a hard "no."
I'd agree (heartily) with all the others, but still give a point to Onward, for having an actual old-school Pixar plot.
Well-mined "Alternate world" premise? Maybe. But what got us in the 00's was a Pixar story still being able to pull a rabbit out of their hat in the last reel--in this case, the dragon battle and Ian's NAFTM epiphany about Dad & Barley--instead of chugging with the director's one self-indulgent personal-experience urge down the track.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 18th, 2022, 1:24 pm

I mean, Onward was also a very personal, semi-autobiographical story from the filmmakers.

But it’s not “ethnic” so I guess it doesn’t count as far as this ridicule goes. :roll:

(Seriously, let’s try to watch how we word things here)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 18th, 2022, 1:54 pm

Onward was one of the most basic and mediocre Pixar films.

"having an actual old-school Pixar plot" you mean the tired buddy comedy road trip?! The same one that was used for PatP, Frozen, Moana and Frozen II which you claimed had no plot?!? :lol:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 18th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Seriously, this "discussion" has gone on for three pages of comments now. Let's try to move on.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2022, 2:31 pm

Wade is essentially wearing a t-shirt of himself. That rocks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » May 18th, 2022, 2:48 pm

He looks like someone who will be voiced by Chris Pratt.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Or Chris Hemsworth. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2022, 9:09 pm

"Let’s change the subject"…?

No…let's get back, and stick, to the subject! ;)