Disney's Wish

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Wish

Post by Daniel » April 27th, 2023, 1:26 pm

Kinda expected the style to go a little further, the character designs don't look that far removed from recent films. Backgrounds are gorgeous, though. The garden shot is reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. In fact there were so many callbacks. Valentino's voice will take some getting used to. Song sounds good, and I already love that little star!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2023, 3:59 pm

I’m feeling quite a Tangled vibe, which is no bad thing. Looking forward to seeing more and hearing some songs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foualier » April 27th, 2023, 4:07 pm

From what I see the watercolor feeling is extremely subtil. It's more noticeable in the distant backgrounds (skies, sea), and almost non-existent in closeups. I didn't believe in that watercolor idea anyway. CGI and watercolor are total opposites, they mix like water and oil. Visually, I'm underwhelmed. They're not taking any real risk. But this is just a teaser.
The cheering crowd with arms in the air immediately made me think of the crowd in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Of course this is a fantasy world but I'm getting tired of that mishmash in costuming, with no clear time period.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 27th, 2023, 4:19 pm

Ben wrote:
April 27th, 2023, 3:59 pm
I’m feeling quite a Tangled vibe, which is no bad thing. Looking forward to seeing more and hearing some songs.
I'm actually getting more Frozen vibes than Tangled, which makes sense cause Chris Buck is the director and Jennifer Lee is the screenwriter. It also doesn't feel as irreverent as Tangled did.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Sorry…wasn’t clear. I was thinking more visually, the colouring and environments. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2023, 3:56 am

Wait, what happened to her guitar? And why does she have a goat instead of a flying jag--

--Ohh, this ISN'T the Elena of Avalor Movie! Okay, that explains it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » April 28th, 2023, 4:11 am

The background characters here look disastrous:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2023, 4:24 am

Maybe not a final render? It’s just a quick shot with magic dust flying through it, so obviously not meant to be scrutinised. Reminds me of that painting that the cleaners ruined and tried to cover up! :lol:

Don’t worry…this is just previz. It’ll look better in the 2028 live-action remake.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 29th, 2023, 12:25 pm

Lots to worry about here (first sentence of the film description: "In Wish, Asha, a sharp-witted idealist..." Ugh). But for now will just add that I'm not loving the poster. Should have combined the logo (which I do like) and the poster background for something more like this:

wish2.jpg
wish2.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 5787 times

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 29th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Maybe theirs was more of a teaser, and the logo will "solidify" over the next few months/couple more posters…? I thought it might also be cool if the title was written in the Walt font, though that’s probably too obvious and perhaps best saved for something more core-Disney, like an "all star" magic movie with a cast of characters from across the decades. The Search For Mickey Mouse would have been pretty cool for this 95 years of Mickey/100 years of Disney year, but I guess Wish will have to do… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2023, 3:28 pm

I like the poster as-is, all the sparkles forming the logo. Brings to mind Fantasia.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2023, 4:38 am

Bingo! Was scratching my head to work out what it reminded of! Definite 40s vibe.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 16th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Teaser has been added to Disney+ and the first TV spot aired during "American Idol" this past Sunday.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2023, 4:17 pm

Adding the teaser to D+ muddies the waters, donchathink? That’s not making the clear distinction between cinema and home release! That’s just a big "don’t worry, it’ll be coming to D+ eventually" advert!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 16th, 2023, 6:27 pm

Not really, they do it with all new releases.