"The Wild"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

"The Wild"

Post by PatrickvD » September 29th, 2005, 5:41 pm

okay... I hate being a negative nancy but this has to be discussed.

I had hopes for The Wild not being a total Madagascar rip-off, but after seeing the new images, not only were those hopes trashed, my jaw was on the floor at the sight of the craptastic quality. Will it be interactive and will we receive game controllers upon entering the theater? This looks like a videogame. a lame one. Is this like Valiant, a mistake that's going to be churned out as quickly as possible just to get rid of it?

Exactly what is this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » September 29th, 2005, 5:57 pm

It looks more like roughly shaded production pics than actual film shots. I'm sure these are still WIP shots. Basic light and no shadows... Remember all those roughly rendered shots from early The Incredibles sneak peeks ?
As for Madagascar comparision I think DW flick visually has much more edge (hehe - no only literally). This one is more rounded and smooth and I suppose it will be finally rendered in much more realistic, less stilized look/mood.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » September 29th, 2005, 5:59 pm

Kaszubas wrote:It looks more like roughly shaded production pics than actual film shots. I'm sure these are still WIP shots. Basic light and no shadows... Remember all those roughly rendered shots from early The Incredibles sneak peeks ?
As for Madagascar comparision I think DW flick visually has much more edge (hehe - no only literally). This one is more rounded and smooth and I suppose it will be finally rendered in much more realistic, less stilized look/mood.
I understand it's early rought stuff I guess... but still... freaky photorealistic penguins... not working for me :roll: :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » September 29th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Let's wait for final look... It's too early to judge it from what we've seen so far - a few WIP stills - nothing about style of animation. Nothing about mood of story. Nothing about characters. Now it looks more fluffy and soft (maybe also in the narration style) - more clasically "disneyish" ;) Not so cartoony and exagerated faces makes emotions a little harder to read, but still - we have to see at least some small bites of animation.

My personal favourite upcoming Disney CG flick is still Wilbur Robinson - wonderful lighting, animation and character design :) ...and as for talking animals flick Sony's "Open season" looks cute. Nice, mild toned, quite cool color scheme for backgrounds.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » September 29th, 2005, 6:42 pm

AWFUL!!!

Question: Is it a disney feature or a animated movie distributed by Disney like Vaillant this year???

Ih ope it is second choice as they could release it under another label than Disney... Disgusting!!!!!!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parody » September 29th, 2005, 6:58 pm

Kinoo wrote:AWFUL!!!

Question: Is it a disney feature or a animated movie distributed by Disney like Vaillant this year???

Ih ope it is second choice as they could release it under another label than Disney... Disgusting!!!!!!
Um you do realise that those 2 images are previs renders, right? I mean even The Incredibles previs looked awful compared to the final shots...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2005, 7:18 pm

Yeah, these are previs renders.

The intention of the film is to go for totally photorealistic animation. I'd say they're actually off to a good start!

The film is being made by CORE Digital up in Canada and will be released by Disney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » September 29th, 2005, 8:56 pm

I am amazed. When will the Disney bashing stop? Everytime they release ANYTHING everyone just goes bashing it... Argh. Just wait and see! Freaks.
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by minicooper » September 29th, 2005, 10:29 pm

Well Spaz likes it...! Tell him it sucks. You choose the 2 pics out of the 6 that are obviously not like the others. Of course they're previz work. The sky is grey and they don't have any shadows. What can you tell from an image that size anyway. Post a 2K and I'll give you my opinion. :shock:
Hollywood must be stopped!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 30th, 2005, 8:23 am

Jens wrote:I am amazed. When will the Disney bashing stop? Everytime they release ANYTHING everyone just goes bashing it... Argh. Just wait and see! Freaks.
Jens, I think that you should calm down a little. I know you from other animation boards and you just appear to shove down the opinion that "if you like Disney you should like anything from them". It is true that you should never a judge a book by its cover, but you're also doing this habit with opinions. For example, let's take a look at what you wrote about a DVD review on the UD press release for Tarzan 2...
Oh my god Luke... I have never ever read a review of yours that is so the opposite of my opinion. I mean, come on? Did you have a bad day today or what? Tarzan II isn't all bad... OK, there are a few moments where it's really obvious that the movie is aiming for kids, but the movie has it's good points too. The scene that you found so "unintentionally humorous" is one of the best scenes every made in a DTV. If that didn't get to you even a little (knowing the history of Tarzan and his mother from the original movie AND the piece in Tarzan II), I don't know what you were thinking when you saw this movie.

Of course, it's a lot easier to draw a certain conclusion when you see some things in the beginning of the movie that you don't like (sure, I wouldn't have liked the movie either if I did that too) than to contradict yourself and saying that some things are very good and some things are very bad... I understand. Just don't forget that a lot of people are now probably hesitating to even SEE the movie (and therefore will never know how good or bad it is), as YOU think it's not worthy to the original movie. Oh well, I guess that's life?
Looking over that, you seem as if you don't want any negative views on Disney at all and are just trying to force opinions down everyone's throats. Saying that the reviewer must have had a bad day when watching the film and having a go at him for writing his thoughts on the subject in a possibly wildly read review seems somewhat extremist to me. You're being twice as stubborn as the people who supposedly aren't "proper Disney fans". And calling everyone who bashed the movie in this thread "freaks" is rather rude, when they could just be saying that the animation just needs work on (I haven't seen anyone saying that the story will be poopy).

On the topic of those screencaps, I have to admit that the animation in The Wild may need a bit of work on it as it seems a bit clunky so far from the screencaps, regardless of if they are WIP shots, as the character designs do look a bit awkrawd so far. And please, that giraffe is scaring me.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2005, 9:49 am

It seems your biting comments have raised enough hoopla and caused Disney to contact us and ask for them to be removed.

They were concerned that the images were being mistaken for finished product, but then again maybe they shouldn't release such images until they are completed?

You'll have to wait until The Empror's New Groove DVD is released until we can resume this discussion.

Anyway, that's why they are gone...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » September 30th, 2005, 11:50 am

So they're taking a photorealistic approach.? WORST NEWS EVER! That is the most intuile thing to do in Animation, what's the point? When animation try to look realistic with graphics it ends up very bad, people looking like zombies (FInal Fantasy and Polar Express)... Bad idea! I'd love an original and cartoony design like American Dog and Rapunzel (See JENS i'm NOT bashing everything Disney, just a matter called TASTE and OBJECTIVITY which you seems not to have concerning Disney products.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Okay, this thread will be closed if people don't calm down.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 30th, 2005, 2:30 pm

Disney CONTACTED this place because a FEW people were freaking out about it?

INTERNET. SERIOUS BUSINESS!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 30th, 2005, 3:18 pm

It was my bad for not clarifying that the pictures were not final production stills.