"The Wild"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » March 17th, 2006, 9:38 pm

i kind of didn't mind it either when it was first done in 04, but Disney chose to redesign it. as someone here said a few posts ago "Aslan" . there was no way we could have produced 1500 shots at an Aslan level. ya know.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 17th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, spaz. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » March 17th, 2006, 9:46 pm

thanks Mickey. it's been a few centuries since i've had time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MonkeyMeat » March 18th, 2006, 7:21 am

Spaz?

Shouldent you be driving a tank or something?

MattK

StPattys Wooooo..

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 18th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Look at the poster, then look at this still from the film:

Notice how it appears the lion won't look nearly that "Aslanish" in the actual movie.

As for me, I like this still:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » March 18th, 2006, 2:50 pm

hello there Mattk. the tank hasn't arrived yet so i'll have to put off crushing hippies Volkwagen vans for a while.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2006, 3:48 pm

I think the difference is building up relationships.

Disney had a first look deal with Vanguard, but I have a feeling they want to capitalise on the Core connection.

Perhaps Spaz can illuminate here, but it's no big secret that Vanguard's next has been passed over by the Mouse and is set up at DreamWorks...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » March 19th, 2006, 1:26 pm

we were approached to do The Wild and needed to find a facility that was established and could be super-sized to handle a big picture. Tippett was a natural decision seeing as though we got the Wild based on the Blockbuster stuff, but, Tippett was really on their own path and this production would have doninated the whole place. Core had a pretty good established record; i knew the guys there and alot of animators wanted to return to TO. building a Vancouver joint was an earlier idea seeing as though it was closer to SF, but, there were'nt any places around long enough to partner with. we were still putting up dry wall at Core when we started to pound out animation dailies in Nov. 03. it was very insane.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2006, 3:27 pm

So what's next for you and/or Core?

Does the marriage of the Lamp to the Mouse mean anything for potential upcoming projects?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » March 19th, 2006, 3:59 pm

there's no current relationship between the "Mouse-In-The-Lamp" and Core. Core is persuing other projects to feed their pipeline. it's fairly obvious that Disney has found what they were looking for , and subsequently so has Pixar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2006, 4:01 pm

True...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 19th, 2006, 9:03 pm

(I think it looks good anyway =P)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 20th, 2006, 7:39 am

I was just thinking of how similar Finding Nemo and The Wild are...You just made my day.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 20th, 2006, 8:21 am

How the heck are these films connected???

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by spaz » March 20th, 2006, 11:56 am

it seems it's always been this way. i remember long ago at a time when 90% of this industrys work force was skate boarding and watching Porky's movies, we were animating the pseudopod for the Abyss (18 shots , 72 seconds) at the Joint(ILM). we thought we were working on a unique idea. before the film was released in Jul. 89, 2 other "deep sea lab's invaded by serpenty creatures" popped up , Leviathan and Deep Star 6. the author of the original idea of course was Jim Cameron. he probably shopped it around at different studios , and they said they were'nt interested. at least weren't interested in not ripping him off and creating their own version. the same is true of Antz and Bugs Life. it's like a race for a patent. Edison versus Tesla. i personally had been working on "the Wild" for 2 years before i'd ever heard the name Madagaskar. Hollywood is a very odd dynamic of creativity, greed, imprisonment. you do the best you can under disfunctional circumstances.