DreamWorks' Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DreamWorks' Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken

Post by Daniel » March 16th, 2023, 2:50 pm

Poster and trailer for their upcoming film:

Heh, kind of feels like an Ursula origin story from her perspective! Not a big fan of the character design, or the animation with the noodly limbs, but I'm kind of intrigued. Looks fun. Cutting it pretty close to the release date, though! (June 30th)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks' Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken

Post by GeffreyDrogon » March 16th, 2023, 5:05 pm

The trailer was incredible! This film really looks interesting, despite its announcement and trailer coming out only a few months from its release date!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2023, 5:22 pm

How bizarre is this!? Totally not on anyone's radar as far as I am aware? Strange mix of really "simplistic" bendy animation and sone pretty awesome visuals. Intrigued too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 17th, 2023, 5:00 am

Darn, and I was just WONDERING what had happened to the old-skool 00s DreamWorks, with their "Don't pick on me! :cry: " bully obsessions and their neurotic need to pick lunchroom fights with Disney.
Thought all that baggage went out the door with Katzenberg when he left.

(Unless the new Universal masters feel they "have" to keep the Shrek Traditions alive...You ask, how do these traditions get started?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 17th, 2023, 6:02 am

Yeah, pretty direct references there, not least in the Pat Carroll-esque voice and obvious mermaid coloring. My own question is how Ruby passes as a human when she's blue!? There doesn’t seem to be a mechanism in place to suggest everyone else sees her as "normal", but that might have been a cool additional Mermaid-esque touch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by blackcauldron85 » March 17th, 2023, 8:25 am

I wondered how Ruby passes as a human when she's blue, too.

"Shiny" from Moana has been in my head since I saw the trailer, with all the bioluminescence! I was surprised at the mermaid's pretty red hair. I think this looks fun; DreamWorks has been putting out impressive movies lately.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 17th, 2023, 3:21 pm

I'm thinking Ruby is using magic to walk around undetected. That, or the kids don't really care. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 18th, 2023, 11:56 am

It's very disappointing to see DreamWorks go this route again. Basically, this is "Wicked Little Mermaid," complete with Ariel look-alike, all done up Pixar-style. It still looks like it could be a good watch, regardless, but I'm with Eric on this one. DW should be better than this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » March 18th, 2023, 12:08 pm

Yeah, I didn't care about it too. I guess we're in the "early 2000s" nostalgia era so people are nostalgic about DreamWorks crapping on Disney films again, I've never been a fan of that so this film is obviously not for me.
I also didn't fail to notice that this is basically a Turning Red+Luca knock off. Not to mention that I already got the "bland CGI kids movie" from it regardless. To be honest, I hope it bombs so this won't become a trend again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » March 18th, 2023, 1:00 pm

Farerb wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 12:08 pm
Yeah, I didn't care about it too. I guess we're in the "early 2000s" nostalgia era so people are nostalgic about DreamWorks crapping on Disney films again, I've never been a fan of that so this film is obviously not for me.
I also didn't fail to notice that this is basically a Turning Red+Luca knock off. Not to mention that I already got the "bland CGI kids movie" from it regardless. To be honest, I hope it bombs so this won't become a trend again.
You're right!

Though I do like the visuals and how the trailer didn't lean heavily on jokes and pop culture references, it does feel like a jab at Disney. Doesn't help that the last few Disney/Pixar films haven't been that great, from what I've heard.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2023, 2:59 pm

If only Disney had their own mermaid movie coming out this year… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by blackcauldron85 » March 19th, 2023, 7:39 am

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 1:00 pm
Farerb wrote:
March 18th, 2023, 12:08 pm
I guess we're in the "early 2000s" nostalgia era so people are nostalgic about DreamWorks crapping on Disney films again, I've never been a fan of that so this film is obviously not for me.
Though I do like the visuals and how the trailer didn't lean heavily on jokes and pop culture references, it does feel like a jab at Disney.
Back in the early '00s, I wouldn't even watch DreamWorks movies (except Shrek 2 since my friend wanted to see it) because of Disney not doing as well financially (I'm loyal!) and DW making fun of Disney. But for the past decade, I have been checking out most DW films and have been mostly pleasantly surprised. I also liked that the trailer didn't have the pop culture references... I'm still a bit concerned about the Ariel lookalike, but I think this looks fun and am cautiously optimistic.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 19th, 2023, 12:38 pm

*shrugs*

I like the Ariel lookalike.

Also the majority of DW films from that era didn’t make fun of Disney at all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 19th, 2023, 12:46 pm

So, it's one of those "show half the movie in the trailer" trailers. Ironic a evil mermaid movie is coming out same year as disneys live action little mermaid film. I also am asking "how does she look human blue?"

Film is giving me pre shrek dreamworks vibe. Feels like an early 90s cg movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 19th, 2023, 11:39 pm

Dacey wrote:
March 19th, 2023, 12:38 pm
Also the majority of DW films from that era didn’t make fun of Disney at all.
Well, the Aztec film that came out around the same time as "Emperor's New Groove" didn't, and the horse movie that came out around the same time as "Home on the Range" didn't... :P