Curious George

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Curious George

Post by GeorgeC » October 3rd, 2005, 5:05 pm

I just don't get it.

Are Hollywood studios trying to kill off family movies?

Why debut a movie FEATURING ONE OF THE WORLD'S MOST POPULAR CHILDREN'S BOOK CHARACTERS in the middle of February (2006)?

This just doesn't make sense!

Yes, it could still be a lousy film even if debuted in May, June, November, or December, but it seems debuting OFF the film blockbuster season is a guarantee the film won't make as much money as it COULD have or be seen by as many people.

Granted, I don't know the specifics of when this film will debut in other countries but it does not make sense to treat an icon like this in the U.S.

And yes, Curious George WAS one of my favorite characters in my childhood.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 3rd, 2005, 5:30 pm

Please keep in mind that Return to Neverland ($48,423,368) and Jungle Book 2 ($47,887,943) did better than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within ($32,131,830), Treasure Planet ($38,120,554), and Valiant ($18,855,124). Meanwhile, in terms of star power, Hitch ($177,575,142) did better than I, Robot ($144,795,350), both starring Wil Smith. My point is that marketing, delivering what the people want, and going up against competition may have more to do with how a movie performs than its release date. And speaking of competition, Curious George will be going against The Pink Panther and Cheating Death: Final Destination 3, during the February 10th weekend.

Looking at the images from Curious George, I'd say that it's pretty obvious the film is going after the same audiences that went to see the Disney sequels and Pooh movies, rather than the Finding Nemo and Lilo & Stitch crowd. Hence, like DreamWorks took Disney's usual early November release date, for Bee Movie, Universal took Disney's standard February release date, for Curious George.
Last edited by Josh on October 3rd, 2005, 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » October 3rd, 2005, 5:31 pm

well.....I'll tell you why, it's not computer animated. Hollywood execs don't think like normal people... they think in numbers and all that sort of things... Curious George (in short 'CG', how funny :D ) was probaply one of the last 2d projects in active development before Hollywood decided it was a good idea to stop making these movies. I'll definitely go see it. Looks fun.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2005, 10:31 pm

I agree that, as a beloved children's book, they are going more for the younger set that Disney has scored so well with in February.

With Pink Panther dead in the water anyway, George will have the lucrative family market to itself, what with the final (?) Final Destination flick coming out and going for the older teens who don't remember the book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 4th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Mickey wrote: Looking at the images from Curious George, I'd say that it's pretty obvious the film is going after the same audiences that went to see the Disney sequels and Pooh movies, rather than the Finding Nemo and Lilo & Stitch crowd. Hence, like DreamWorks took Disney's usual early November release date, for Bee Movie, Universal took Disney's standard February release date, for Curious George.
Yup. Those were my thoughts.
Curious George (in short 'CG', how funny ) was probaply one of the last 2d projects in active development before Hollywood decided it was a good idea to stop making these movies.
We still have the Simpsons movie to look foward to! :D :roll:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 5th, 2005, 1:12 am

I'm really not looking forward to The Simpsons movie.

Not if they use the same writers they have the past 6-7 years...

Everything gets tired past a certain point (5-7 years?) and should be put to rest for at least 10 years...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2005, 1:50 pm

I recently saw part of an episode (the town builds a cemetary right next to their house, outside Lisa's window.) I couldn't believe what I was watching was the Simpsons.

It barely resembled any of the MEDIOCRE Simpsons episodes, let alone the great ones. (I like even the episodes that aren't that good.) The jokes were either dumb, flat, or just incomprehensible. The timing was totally off. Plus of course it began with Homer's big idea to do something stupid. After all, what other way can there be to begin an episode? Everyone seemed very out of character, including Lisa, and why would someone with a scientific mind like hers be THAT scared to sleep next to a cemetary? Would she really be so scared that she'd need to sleep with Homer and Marge? I doubt it.

I can't help wondering if maybe it was writing like this that led to all those stand-offs between the Simpsons cast and Fox, not only salary issues. In my opinion, just make the movie and call it a day! :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » October 5th, 2005, 3:11 pm

I still enjoy The Simpsons, ditto for South Park, thank God they made a movie for that one when the series was at the peak of their popularity (peak of quality came after the movie and it is still in it in my opinion) What I fear for the Simpsons is that it might not be working if they stretch it into feature length, getting through a season set can be tiring sometimes, one episode at a time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 5th, 2005, 8:47 pm

What I really want is just one more quality 2-D film. A good traditionally animated film with a great story that looks good, too. I just don't think C.G. Or the Simpsons is gonna satisfy that wish.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Meg - did you see Triplets Of Belleville?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 5th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Ben wrote:Meg - did you see Triplets Of Belleville?
But one of the criteria was a "great story"...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2005, 5:20 am

Ouch...

How about "different from the norm"...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 6th, 2005, 11:41 am

I hated the simpsons for like... the past 3 season or something. (The last good season was when they had the "Trilogy of error" episode). And then after not wathing it for those few season I went back to watching it, and they seemed to be getting their spark back.

South Park is one of those shows that does the impossible: It gets FUNNIER as it goes on. Seriously, It's so amazing. And Matt & Trey are geniouses.

I think a simpsons movie could work, but they need to get their act together a little first.

Also I can't wait to see ATHF in theaters :D

What was the topic again?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 6th, 2005, 3:35 pm

Ben wrote:Meg - did you see Triplets Of Belleville?
No. It's hard to see that kind of stuff when you're the only person you know who wants to see it, let alone the only person who knows what the heck it is, anyway.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2005, 6:22 pm

It's on DVD, y'know... ;)

Seriously, though many here didn't like it, I found it very brave and a break from the norm (which no-one can deny).

I would post what I thought of the film in its US DVD form, but DVD Toons seems to be down right now.