Over The Hedge

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Over The Hedge

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Okay folks, the teaser trailer's out...what do we think?

I thought it looked like fun. Typical DreamWorks, but fun. I got a Father Of The Pride meets A Bug's Life kinda vibe, but without Pride's crudity.

This feels more like Madagascar than Pride or Shrek, with some gorgeous animation on a couple of the characters.

And is that hedge called "Steve" after a famous "S" in DreamWorks, perchance?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 6th, 2005, 12:13 am

I loved the trailer :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ElFlorro » October 6th, 2005, 11:09 am

I loved the trailer, too. I thought the character design and animation is somewhat between traditional animation and real life images... I love the squirrel's animation especially

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 6th, 2005, 2:49 pm

Hey Mac I love your new avatar! I also like James Woods, (I guess that's a Family Guy referance too.) Even though Hades is really Katzenberg, not JW, but still.....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 6th, 2005, 3:38 pm

I thought the "Steve!" thing was funny. I really like the comic strip, though I don't get a chance to read it often. I hope the film lives up to the strip.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 6th, 2005, 9:03 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Hey Mac I love your new avatar! I also like James Woods, (I guess that's a Family Guy referance too.) Even though Hades is really Katzenberg, not JW, but still.....
What are you talking about? Hades WAS James Woods.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 6th, 2005, 9:22 pm

James Woods played Hades but it was really a Jeffrey Katzenberg impression, (not just in appearance but speaking voice, New York acceent and all) a la Ron and John's sniping about not being able to do Treasure Planet. (I think they did a similar thing in the ASIFA Aladdin reunion when either Ron or John sarcastically imitated Katzenberg saying about Gilbert Gottfried's Iago: "I don't know, his voice is kind of grating.")

I still think it was nasty of them. You could say Katzenberg did the same thing with Faarquad and everything, but it wasn't as sharp or as venhement a satire. Plus Shrek was parodying Disney overall, not just Eisner.

Hades isn't just a sleazy jerk, (or a pompous dictator like Lord Faarquad) he's down-and-dirty evil.

Here's Jim Hill's take: http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID115030-115034.asp
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 7th, 2005, 1:08 am

Okay so um wait what?

I'm... not sure what you're trying to get me to see here, other then they making fun of Katzenburg or something. If that's what it is... uhh okay?

All I was saying was that James Woods did do the voice of Hades... I don't really care about all that inside crap. I loved the character and I loved his voice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Venice Menace » October 13th, 2005, 3:07 pm

The HEDGE trailer is very funny. Can't wait to see Steve Carrell as HAMMY...

I also saw some footage at Comic-Con in San Diego this summer. Good stuff.

I think the film will hold its own against CARS next summer. It seems to appeal to a wider audience.

I hope it does well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2005, 4:49 pm

I'm... not sure what you're trying to get me to see here, other then they making fun of Katzenburg or something. If that's what it is... uhh okay?
Just that to me, Hades represents K more than James Woods, even though James Woods did the voice. If it were me, I'd've used the animated James Woods from the Simpsons. (Y'know where Woods takes over the Quick-E-Mart?)
Can't wait to see Steve Carrell as HAMMY...
I loved Steve Carrell in Anchorman.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 13th, 2005, 5:11 pm

ShyViolet wrote: the animated James Woods from the Simpsons. (Y'know where Woods takes over the Quick-E-Mart?)
O_O

WHAT

WHEN WAS THIS

EDIT: wait... was that the one where Apu and Homer go to that mountain top kwik-e-mart? If so... i thought that was some other actor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2005, 5:34 pm

EDIT: wait... was that the one where Apu and Homer go to that mountain top kwik-e-mart? If so... i thought that was some other actor.
Yeah that's the one. You didn't know that was James Woods? :) :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 13th, 2005, 5:43 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Yeah that's the one. You didn't know that was James Woods? :) :shock:
It's been YEARS since I've seen that episode. I was probably too young to realize the amazing at the time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Here's a pic: :wink:

(See, he really doesn't look that much like Hades!)
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 23rd, 2006, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 14th, 2005, 4:38 pm

The animation was great. For some reason I was expecting it to look more like "Madagascar" or something.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."