Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 11th, 2005, 9:35 am

GeorgeC wrote:James, I can't let that go. You're taking me out of context.

My point is that everybody's up in arms over the destruction of plasticene figures and some sets when it could have been the CREATOR of Wallace & Gromit who was killed in a fire.

Now you tell me, is human life more important than property?!?!?!?...
Here's your context, and once again you're getting riled up by hypotheticals. We're not allowed to be upset about something unless someone died? We're not allowed to be upset about something because it could have been worse? That's ridiculous because no matter what happened it always could have been worse. "30 dead in a gasoline explosion? Calm down! At least it wasn't 90 dead!"

Once again, it's not the worst thing that happened in the world that day. But that doesn't mean it's not sad news.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 11th, 2005, 11:37 am

Okay so they are safe. Awesome, great, fantastic. The point is they ARE safe, and the story said they were safe, so there's no point even worrying about that since nothing did happen to them.

But things DID happen to sets and models and what not. As someone who draws as passionately as I do, I can tell you that I would be incredibly upset if all my drawings that I work so hard one were suddenly destroyed in something like this. I think it sucks that the original things they used for their movies are now gone. It is sad news.

And you really can't just say "Oh but it's okay because they are replacing them with new ones" because it's just not the same as having the originals.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2005, 1:16 pm

I love that everyone is suckered in to this "the characters from the movie survived" thing.

What Park is carrying around are "showcase" figures that can't do all the things the animatable versions can. Plus, as anyone knows, there are between 15-20 versions of a character made for a big movie like this, with many more replacable heads, arms,mouths, etc, on to p of that.

This is a story put out to provide some positive spin and serve as a "ahh, it's okay children" cover up for all those distressed kids (and adults).

And, going back to the point...yes, it's a real shame that this little piece of history has gone. No, people were not harmed, but when you think that this is being treated as Aarson (I'm gonna keep playing that tune!), then that's an amazingly spiteful thing to do to such talented people and the characters they created.

As Park said himself, there are far worse things going on out there, but the truth is that this didn't NEED to happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

This is such a shame. I'm so sorry for them. :( :(

I definetely want to see the movie now, and I'm happy for DW that it's doing well.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 11th, 2005, 2:50 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Now you tell me, is human life more important than property?!?!?!?
Of course human life is more important than property. But what we're trying to say is that no one was killed or hurt - we don't have anyone to be worried about. If someone WAS killed, then I'd have a problem with everyone being fussy over the art.
But things DID happen to sets and models and what not. As someone who draws as passionately as I do, I can tell you that I would be incredibly upset if all my drawings that I work so hard one were suddenly destroyed in something like this. I think it sucks that the original things they used for their movies are now gone. It is sad news.
LOL! I know exactly what you mean. I won't even let my mom throw out school papers that have a few doodles on them.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm

The fire may have been Aarson? But who would do such a thing (and no, I don't think it was JK)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2005, 6:12 pm

It definetely wasn't JK. He would never do such a thing.

He gets along very well with Aardman and has always treated them good.

(I know they had some problems with Tortoise and the Hare and whatnot, but every studio goes through stuff like that.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

W&G amazing!

Post by hcgulwell » October 18th, 2005, 10:57 am

:shock: :shock: well well this film truckin rocks loved the animation, the sets were beautiful, cheeky adult humor! wicked! havnt seen a feauture film for a while which i loved so much! :P :P :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 18th, 2005, 1:41 pm

Well, I saw this film on Saturday night and the cinema was packed at the time, so I was relagated to the front row. :shock:

Needless to say, I enjoyed this film. Whilst I don't agree with James in saying that it was one of the best non-Disney related animated films of the past 20 years, I still found it enjoyable. The characters were entertaining, the animation lovely and the plot very interesting.

Overall, a very good film. I hope that it gets a 2 disc special edition when it comes out on DVD! :mrgreen:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 22nd, 2005, 2:33 pm

Going to see it tommorow. Can't wait! :D

One of the elven key animators is speaking at the High Falls film festival (right by where I live), and I'm gonna go see her. (Unrelated, but my friend's dad knows this animator very well.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 23rd, 2005, 5:43 pm

Just got back from seeing it.

Pretty cute, and funny. Not as amazing as everyone made it out to be, but a good decent film nonetheless.

And, I might add, the rabbits were just so funny-looking I cracked up whenever I saw them. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TBHuusmann » November 2nd, 2005, 6:56 pm

Oky... know it's old news... But just couldn't get over GeorgeC's comments.... haha

Well why don't we burn down Disney's achive as well, who cares about how

-Mith Kahn (the greatest) made Shere Khan move so realistic that you almost lose your breath just looking at it!!!

-Frank Thomas made Bambi and pinocchio show emotions through drawings, that made people love them so much....

etc....

Or Warner Bros... Who needs looking at that boring Looney Tunes!!! Come on BURN IT...

What has Ken Harris offered to the animation world... Other then greatness!!
Or Tex Avery's weird way of doing crazy twist in his animation!!

ALL in ALL just burn it all and let's start over new...LOL

SORRY GeorgeC if I got very sad the day I heard the news.. all that work and animation history gone!! Some of us love animation and what people in the business have done... Watch the DVD "Frank and Ollie" and listen to what Frank said about the creating of an character.. It might understand why I'm sad that it's gone..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » November 9th, 2005, 11:21 pm

Wallace & Gromit was great. i loved it. i thought it was really funny. is it better than chicken run i dont know. i have not watched chicken run in such a long time i dont even know. i well have to rent it again. and find out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 12th, 2005, 6:33 pm

C'est super, j'aime Wallace and Gromit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 12th, 2005, 6:49 pm

fani wrote:C'est super, j'aime Wallace and Gromit.
It is super, I love Wallace and Gromit.

Eh. I still stink at French.