Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 24th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:That's your opinion, I guess, but I felt that "Sisterhood" had fleshed-out characters and honest emotions. As for the film you mentioned, I've never even heard of it.
Well that film you never heard of exists, find it at amazon.com, it's a film from the 70's and at least that film didn't have any overacting kid actors.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 24th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Last I checked, Amber Tamblyn wasn't some "Kid Actor".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 24th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Last I checked, Amber Tamblyn wasn't some "Kid Actor".
Whatever, tween, teen actors, whatever; they overact in any kids film especially this poor excuse for a chick flick.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Whatever, tween, teen actors, whatever; they overact in any kids film especially this poor excuse for a chick flick.
I admit I haven't seen Sisterhood yet but I have heard a lot of very good things about it, and I wouldn't say that "all" teen/tween actors are bad. Technically Christina Ricci was a teen actor (actress) at one point--and so were Kieran Culkin and Jessie Eisenberg (he was in Cursed but also The Squid and the Whale, the Emperor's Club and many others.) Plus Lindsey Lohan may be practically a headline now, but she DID do a very good job in Mean Girls.

Plus wasn't Amber Tamblyn one of the girls in the Ring? (2002) I always thought she did a great job. And Anna Paquin and Aaron Stanford (Rogue and Pyro) were very good in X-Men. (whoever played Bobby was O.K. I guess, but his character just wasn't all that interesting in the films, especially compared to the comics.)

Plus even though I don't think the Harry Potter films are the "greatest" films ever made, Rupert and Daniel are both quite talented. (hope no one holds it against me that I'm withholding that praise from Emma Watson. :wink: :roll: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 24th, 2006, 8:58 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
I admit I haven't seen Sisterhood yet but I have heard a lot of very good things about it, and I wouldn't say that "all" teen/tween actors are bad. Technically Christina Ricci was a teen actor (actress) at one point--and so were Kieran Culkin and Jessie Eisenberg (he was in Cursed but also The Squid and the Whale, the Emperor's Club and many others.) Plus Lindsey Lohan may be practically a headline now, but she DID do a very good job in Mean Girls.

Plus wasn't Amber Tamblyn one of the girls in the Ring? (2002) I always thought she did a great job. And Anna Paquin and Aaron Stanford (Rogue and Pyro) were very good in X-Men. (whoever played Bobby was O.K. I guess, but his character just wasn't all that interesting in the films, especially compared to the comics.)

Plus even though I don't think the Harry Potter films are the "greatest" films ever made, Rupert and Daniel are both quite talented. (hope no one holds it against me that I'm withholding that praise from Emma Watson. :wink: :roll: )
I'm talking about tween and teen actors in kids films or films aimed at teenagers like Mean Girls, Material Girls, Aquamarine and Sleepover including Sisterhood and my god those films are just a mess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Mean Girls,
Mean Girls was aimed at a pretty broad audience from what I remember, and was definetely not "a mess." :wink: :roll:

Plus nowadays practically every film is aimed at teens--they're the demographic everyone wants to please. X-Men, Superman, Nacho Libre, Anchorman, Meet the Fockers were all aimed at a broad audience, but ultimately the filmmakers want the tweens/teens to see them, since they have the most buying power.

Films like Sleepover, Aquamarine, Drive Me Crazy, etc...(also I wouldn't include Sisterhood in that category) are relatively scarce and their real audience is more around 8-11. Most teens/tweens aren't big fans of them either.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » September 24th, 2006, 9:07 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Mean Girls,
Mean Girls was aimed at a pretty broad audience from what I remember, and was definetely not "a mess." :wink: :roll:

Plus nowadays practically every film is aimed at teens--they're the demographic everyone wants to please. X-Men, Superman, Nacho Libre, Anchorman, Meet the Fockers were all aimed at a broad audience, but ultimately the filmmakers want the tweens/teens to see them.
I'm talking about kids films mostly, those kind of films are bad tell me something you like Materail Girls too? That movie is just bad, glad Snakes on a Plane ended up beating that Hilary Duff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

I'm talking about kids films mostly

Right, kid's films, like I said, about 8-11 years old. And there really aren't all that many of them, unless you watch the Disney channel. So really what do these films matter? Actors in those movies are mostly unknowns and have an extremely short half-life anway. I just see it as kid's stuff, like Barney or Olsen Twins movies.

I don't particularly "like" these kinds of films (although A Cinderella Story is fun in a stupid way) but kids do. So what? No one's forcing you to watch them, ya know. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2006, 8:05 am

Code...

Getting bored of asking you this.

Please don't quote long messages that you are replying to when they are right above your new post.

If there's a specific point, or the post is a good few removed from your new one, then fine, but otherwise it's a no-no, especially when you're only adding a two line comment.

It's not a reason to boot you, but I'm actually getting sick of repeating myself here. Get the picture?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 25th, 2006, 11:02 am

Code Horror, I have one question for you...

If you hate these "Kids" movies so much, THEN WHY THE HECK DO YOU SEE THEM?!?!?!

Whoops. I'm shouting again...