New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » April 5th, 2021, 8:40 am

All access does is cut into the box office and tick off theatres owners and pixar who has been reported is ticked at disney over luca. Raya was banned in some theatres including canadas biggest chain over it hurting it's box office and black widow may be also. Kong here and demon slayer overseas shows people will go back to the movies but not if the studios keep trying to hurt their own box office! How much more would kong have done if it wasn't on hbo max?

Movies are trying to recover but it's like the studios are doing everything it can to stop it!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm

The odd thing is...it doesn't seem HBO Max is impacting box office one way or the other.

WB by far seems to be handling the box office better than anyone else right now, as Kong did the best business it could possibly hope for in such a climate even with folks like me watching it on their laptops (theater isn't open here, and I'm not vaccinated anyway). Of course the big screen is the ideal way to watch such a film, but I will confess--despite my naysaying--that it was nice to be able to watch it "safely" at home, and I'm excited to do the same with Mortal Kombat--which looks awesome--in a few weeks.

With Disney+ (which I still don't have, for whatever reason), it seems Disney is only doing the "premiere access" for their more expensive blockbusters. It's safe to say that Raya must've cost a lot more to make than Soul or Luca otherwise they wouldn't be doing it this way. On the other hand--while I'm not knocking those who choose to do so--$30 is still a very extravagant price, especially since it costs more than the eventual Blu-ray will once it appears on store shelves. Then again, WB is making efforts to cooperate with theater chains even with the "same day releases" on streaming. Disney doesn't appear to be playing the same game, because they view themselves as powerful enough to set their own terms.

It will be interesting to find out if they keep doing this or not. WB has already announced they won't be doing the same HBO Max "same day" releases for their 2022 lineup, but if Disney's method proves profitable enough for them, who knows what they will do.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2021, 2:07 pm

I'm thinking the reason why Luca will be free is Pixar would rather take the loss and asterisk instead of a potential smudge on their record... which is kinda silly because it would be understandable given everything.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 5th, 2021, 2:11 pm

If I had to guess, I’d wager Pixar has no say in this. Disney still owns them at the end of the day.

I can’t imagine Pixar saying “please let our films be the only ones you don’t play in theaters at all.”
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Yeah, it’s totally Disney's call.

Interestingly, I don’t think Premiere Access (I’m going to spell it right even if Disney itself got it wrong) would have continued had a fair portion of people paid enough for Mulan and now Raya, although figures for Raya are apparently down on the more hyped and anticipated Mulan.

But now that the model has been proven to, not exactly "work", but give an extra little return, it may stick around a bit more than it might have been. But I still expect PA to die off slowly, once cinemas come back properly, and families get a little tired of paying $30 three, four, six times a year.

I fear Luca, like Soul, is getting the short end of the stick because it’s not an instantly sellable story or set of characters. After all, if the studio truly felt these were big ticket movies, they’d be asking for the full $30, or at least the $20 that other studios had seemed to settle on for their PVOD offerings.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 5th, 2021, 9:24 pm

That's my biggest gripe with what Disney is doing. They are picking and choosing which films require extra cost to access early on their streaming platform. I could understand their logic if all movies initially intended for cinema got the Access treatment, but they haven't and it's strange.

Here in Australia, if I can access it via the cinema I will. I still enjoy the movie experience that a cinema brings. And it is actually cheaper even with the food, than the $35 I get charged by + in Australia. And honestly, the financial plan must not be working that great since their movies still end up on PVOD sites about a month later, so paying for Access doens't seem to be bringing in long term permanent subscribers to +.

I think Disney needs to rethink their strategy especially for countries like Australia where Covid has been managed better and cinemas are legally back to 100% capacity. There is no reason for a movie like Luca (or even Soul to be honest) not to be trotted out to the cinema just because + is in Australia.

And look, I understand the whole business thing of Disney getting all my money instead of having to give some to a cinema (cause heaven forbid a major corporation helps another business out and helps with a country's employment), but not everyone has a cinema room with a massive arse screen in their house to get the movie experience.

I just can't see this model being super sustainable. Cause as Ben said eventually people will tire of paying $30 all the time to watch a blockbuster movie on their TV, when if they wait a couple months they can just purchase the home copy (however they want DVD, digital, VHS, stone tablet)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 6th, 2021, 5:10 am

The cinema experience with a great crowd enjoying a great movie beats anything, and I totally can’t see why places like Oz are not getting the full proper releases. It does entirely smack of Disney wanting every cent rather than sharing, which I do understand given how much else of its business has suffered, but doesn’t take into account a longterm projection for when things get back to normal and, as Bill says, cinemas and their staff are no more, basically because of this kind of "greed".

We are totally in awe of how Australia (and NZ) has handled Covid, and are still sorry when you guys had that (thankfully contained) contamination it was from a couple of dumb British idiots that travelled knowing one of them was ill! One would think we, as an island, would be able to pretty much do the same thing, but the Foolish UK (that’s an acronym!) gov have been playing catch-up since before this thing even took off! Grrr!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 9th, 2021, 4:03 am

Added today:

🇺🇸/🌎:
The Falcon And The Winter Soldier - Episode 4
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers - Episode 3
Secrets of Sulphur Springs - Episode 11
Future-Worm!
Kick Buttowki: Suburban Daredevil
Cesar Millan: The Real Story
Man of the House
Mark Twain and Me
Squanto: A Warrior's Tale

🇬🇧:
Dollface - Episode 6
neXt - Episode 5
Filthy Rich - Episode 1
Criminal Minds
Jim Henson's Dinosaurs
Dangerous Minds
Father of the Bride
Father of the Bride Part II
The Island at the Top of the World

🇨🇦:
Nomadland
Grown-ish - Episode 4 (Season 3)
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked

🇦🇺:
Grey's Anatomy – Episode 8 (Season 17)
Station 19 – Episode 2 (Season 4)
Grown-ish - Episode 9 (Season 3)
Family Guy – Episode 5 (Season 19)
Bob's Burgers – Episode 3 (Season 11)
Muppet Babies Reboot – Episodes 1-5 (Season 3)

⭐:
Helstrom - Episode 9
Solar Opposites - Episode 1 (Season 2)
Love, Victor - Episode 9
Big Sky - Episode 9

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 9th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Daniel wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 4:03 am
Added today:
I was going to make a joke about "Well, at least they...finally got around to the fan requests for it...in April?? :? "

But given the fact that 60's-90's live-action catalog doesn't show up on D+ unless it's either gotten a DMC Exclusive remastering or readied one for Blu-ray, does that mean the print may have been groomed for a DMC disc release around the more properly marketable October/November?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 10th, 2021, 3:42 pm

Recently removed titles: (US)

Ramona and Beezus
The Wolverine
Tron: Legacy

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 16th, 2021, 3:04 am

Added today:

🇺🇸/🌎
The Falcon And The Winter Soldier - Episode 5
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers - Episode 4
Big Shot - Episode 1
Earth Moods
Primal Survivor - Season 5
Treasure Buddies
White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf
The Kid Who Would Be King
Rio

🇬🇧:
Dollface – Episode 7
neXt – Episode 6
Filthy Rich – Episode 2
Grown-Ish – Seasons 1 & 2
The Runaways – Season 3
Baby's Day Out
The Big Year
Predators
Prometheus
Sunshine
Third Man on the Mountain

🇨🇦:
Grown-Ish - Episode 5 (Season 3)
American Dad - Season 16
Tut's Treasures: Hidden Secrets - Season 1
Secrets of Sulphur Springs
Rio 2

🇦🇺:
Grey's Anatomy - Episode 9 (Season 17)
Station 19 Episode 3 (Season 4)
Grown-ish - Episode 10 (Season 3)
Family Guy - Episode 6 (Season 19)
Bob's Burgers Episode 4 (Season 11)
Fancy Nancy
PJ Masks

⭐:
Helstrom - Episode 10 (Finale)
Solar Opposites - Episode 2 (Season 2)
Love, Victor - Episode 10 (Finale)
Big Sky - Episode 10

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 23rd, 2021, 3:35 am

Added today:

🇺🇸:
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier – Episode 6 (Finale)
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers – Episode 5
Big Shot – Episode 2
Puppy Dog Pals - Season 3
Liv and Maddie
Being the Queen
Secrets of The Whales
My Music Story: Sukimaswitch
Being the Queen
Baby's Day Out

🇬🇧:
Dollface – Episode 8
neXt – Episode 7
Filthy Rich – Episode 3
Fosse/Verdon
Genius – Seasons 1 & 2
Dino Ranch
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie

🇨🇦:
Grown-Ish – Episode 6 (Season 3)
Castle
Happy Endings
Lost
Light It Up

🇦🇺:
Family Guy – Episode 7 (Season 19)
Bob's Burgers – Episode 5 (Season 11)
Grey's Anatomy – Episode 10 (Season 17)
Station 19 – Episode 4 (Season 4)
Grown-ish – Episode 11 (Season 3)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 23rd, 2021, 3:07 pm

Kinda disappointing how Family Guy is on so many Dis + services in the world, except for the USA! :(.

Does anyone know if this might eventually change?? (I’m not getting Hulu just for commercial-entrenched FG!)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 23rd, 2021, 3:37 pm

Probably never, given that Disney is being pretty consistent on keeping the "adult" content they own (like Family Guy, American Dad) on Hulu, whereas Disney+ hosts their "family-friendly" stuff (with The Simpsons more or less being rebranded as a "Disney show" now).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2021, 8:13 pm

I would suspect that Hulu will eventually merge with D+, and may even be rebranded with the Star name.