New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2022, 4:20 am

Well, this sounds…good?

I’m astounded that they don’t mention the comics, and Fun And Fancy Free!? One of Mickey's defining screen appearances surely? Musketeers is a more understanding omission as a DTV, though even that remains arguably Mickey's last current "hurrah" as a feature-length outing, ironically until this new doc. And a shame the much ballyhooed new "short" is just that — short! I was looking forward to that, hoping for another Get A Horse, but I guess it’s a "through the years" type thing, which could also be cool.

It’s on the list!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 4th, 2022, 9:32 am

Yeah, certainly worth viewing the new doc, but it's not the end all and be all on Mickey. The short itself only runs a minute (they spend far more time talking about it!). Great seeing him so nicely animated by three of the greats, but it only spotlights a very small number of older classics - certainly not showing too many variations.

The neatest part of the show, aside from Marceline, may have been the coverage of the "mid-century modern" commercials, with the bizarre (but cool) design they used. I'm so glad I have a few of those on a Thunderbean disc; they blew my wee mind.

I also watched the new Mickey stop motion Christmas special, which was quite worth it, too. I'd probably also stick with "good" on that one, but quite nicely done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 4th, 2022, 12:49 pm

"First oswald short for generations!"

Oh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 4th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Ben wrote:
December 4th, 2022, 4:20 am
Musketeers is a more understanding omission as a DTV, though even that remains arguably Mickey's last current "hurrah" as a feature-length outing, ironically until this new doc.
Musketeers did so well, DisneyToons reportedly wanted to do a feature/DTV of the trio in "Around the World in 80 Days" (with Minnie as the Indian Shirley MacLaine), but budgets, schedules, story and in-house Toons troubles never quite panned out.

That would have been good (as I remember Prince & the Pauper blowing away its double feature with Rescuers Down Under), but again, Mickey history at Disney is still in-fighting between the guardians of History and the artists of Deconstruction.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 4th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Musketeers creators confirmed they tried to get it in theatres also but was turned down as mickey was a "risk". This led to "mickey is a risk?" talk on the forums talking against disneys words (yup they even did it than as well!)

https://animatedviews.com/2004/the-thre ... l-release/

Also, there was an all-animated mickey mouse and roger rabbit road trip movie planned a decade ago, but it went into movie limbo and died.

https://insidethemagic.net/2013/02/roge ... he-stooge/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2022, 8:56 pm

And The Search For Mickey Mouse mystery, intended to be the 50th animated feature.

We need a new Fantasia too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 5th, 2022, 2:46 am

I feel with all the shorts that were released soon after the rumoured 3rd Fantasia movie was nixed, we could cobble the 3rd movie together. Not saying I don't want another Fantasia, just that we technically have one in bits and pieces.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 5th, 2022, 5:17 am

Oh, there’s a heap of material for a third Fantasia, which could naturally be a combination of moments from the first and second films. The reason F2K is much shorter than F40 is that three sequences from F40 were intended to be in there too, but these were nixed due to several reasons (restoration costs, converting to Imax, perceived "boredom" for modern audiences…), meaning F2K was much shorter than intended.

Whenever I run F2K to an appreciative audience here, I play the four or five intended F3 shorts in the programme, and it’s still not as long as F40. So you could ostensibly do a version of F2K with the new shorts in there, though that would be largely redundant as an actual viewing experience. Better would be to do something like a "Fantasia Celebration" and mix parts of both films with the newer shorts, maybe with a completed Clair de Lune (which I run in the intermission of F40 when we watch that anyway)?

Of course, a new and exclusive sequence would be phenomenal, and I can’t believe D+ doesn’t make more of the Fantasia concept considering all the music themed shorts in the library, and even incorporating bits from the lesser-seen later "poor man's Fantasias", Make Mine Music and Melody Time (which Walt himself combined in a never again released contractual 1955 final RKO feature Music Land that itself got dropped from the official list in the 1985 reshaping of what made up the official features).

So there’s plenty that could make for a great Disney music feature. Maybe we'll get "Fantasia100" in 2040 (it’s not *so* far away, especially considering F2K took twenty years!) that builds on this idea, mixing the old, the "unused" shorts and, hopefully, one or two new sequences. That would be a neat and fitting tribute.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 5th, 2022, 11:14 pm

Just out of curiosity, what were the other "intended" F3 (aka Fantasia 2007) shorts besides Little Match Girl?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 6th, 2022, 3:32 am

From the Wikipedia page for Fantasia 2000:

Development on a third film began in 2002 under the working title Fantasia 2006. Plans were made to include One by One by Pixote Hunt and The Little Matchgirl by Roger Allers in the film before the project was cancelled in 2004 for unknown reasons, with the proposed segments instead being released as standalone short films.

Destino is an animated short film released in 2003 by The Walt Disney Company. Destino is unique in that its production began in 1945, 58 years before its eventual completion. The project was originally a collaboration between Walt Disney and Spanish surrealist painter Salvador Dalí, and features music written by Mexican songwriter Armando Domínguez and performed by Dora Luz. In 1999, Walt Disney's nephew, Roy E. Disney, while working on Fantasia 2000, unearthed the dormant project and decided to bring it back to life.

Lorenzo is a 2004 American animated short film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation about a cat named Lorenzo who is "dismayed to discover that his tail has developed a personality of its own". The short was directed by Mike Gabriel and produced by Baker Bloodworth. It premiered at the Florida Film Festival on March 6, 2004 and later appeared as a feature before the film Raising Helen; however, it did not appear on the DVD release of the film. Work on the film began in 1943, but was shelved. It was later found along with Destino.

One by One is a traditionally animated short film directed by Pixote Hunt and released by Walt Disney Pictures on August 31, 2004, as an extra feature on the DVD release of The Lion King II: Simba's Pride Special Edition.

The Little Match Girl is a 2006 animated short film directed by Roger Allers and produced by Don Hahn. It is based on an original story by Hans Christian Andersen entitled The Little Girl with the Matches or The Little Match Girl, published in 1845.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2022, 5:17 am

Yes, F3 was actually Fantasia 2006, before being pushed year and then abandoned. One By One was the first one we could actually see on home video, being finished up and used as an extra on the Simba's Pride DVD. Although also shoved on the Blu-ray, it’s never been issued in HD as far as I can see, although Destino got shoved onto F2K's Blu (with a good feature-length doc) and the two others were released on the quite nice but vastly imperfect Disney Animation Shorts Collection:

https://animatedviews.com/2015/disney-a ... ort-films/

So we know these four are complete and exist, but what else was developed for the also-abandoned Fantasia World, or even as far back as early 80s Musicana projects? There’s surely a wealth of material ripe for more Fantasias, but my real hope would be for a Fantasia100 that acts part-retrospective, part "new" programme.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2022, 5:03 pm

So this is all nice and clear…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235277497/

…not.

I don’t know how I feel about ad-supported subscriptions. The whole point of moving away from linear television was to pay a fee that replaces ad revenue for the provider and removes the ads for the viewer…! It’s not our fault that Disney got greedy and raised the price too high too fast!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2022, 6:00 pm

Or "ad supported." Having seen the article, now I know what you meant.

Seems clear to me. Those that wish to keep a lower price point are given the option. And after losing $1.5B last year, D+ obviously needs to do something to stay viable.

I just renewed at $10/month for the Canadian version, which includes the Hulu-like Star portal. It'll be interesting to see how they price things in the future here and in the UK. For now, I'm quite satisfied. We get lots of use out of our sub.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2022, 7:00 pm

Let’s just see how long that "lower" price point lasts. As the non-ads version increases price, they’re not going to keep the lite version down indefinitely…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 9th, 2022, 12:06 pm

Dropping today:

🇺🇸:
The Santa Clauses – New Episode 🌎
Willow - New Episode 🌎
The Mysterious Benedict Society – New Episode/Finale (Season 2) 🌎
The Villains of Valley View – New Episodes
Alice's Wonderland Bakery – 5 Episodes
Animal Fight Night - Season 1-6
Beyond Magic with DMC
Botswana
Gigantosaurus - New Episodes
Brahmāstra Part One
Retrograde
Area 51: The CIA's Secret
Ocean's Breath
Shark vs. Tuna
CMA Country Christmas
Night at the Museum: Kahmunrah Rises Again 🌎
The Muppet Christmas Carol – Extended Edition 🌎
Idina Menzel: Which Way To The Stage? 🌎

🇬🇧:
The Walking Dead – New Episode (Season 11)
9-1-1: Lone Star – New Episode (Season 3)
May It Please the Court – New Episode
NCIS: Hawaii – New Episodes
What We Do In The Shadows – New Episode (Season 4)
Women In Taipei – New Episode
Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War – New Episode
Grey's Anatomy – New Episode (Season 19)
Black Rock Shooter Dawn Fall - New Episode
Station 19 – New Episode (Season 6)
Family Guy – New Episode (Season 21)
Criminal Minds: Evolution – New Episode
Weekend Family Christmas
Amsterdam
Mickey Saves Christmas

🇨🇦:
Reboot – New Episode
Reasonable Doubt - New Episode
Tell Me Lies
Reservation Dogs - New Episode (Season 2)
Shadow Detective
The Simpsons – New Episode (Season 34)
Bob's Burgers - New Episode (Season 13)
Family Guy - New Episode (Season 21)
The Great North - New Episode (Season 3)
Little Demon - New Episode
Mickey Mouse Funhouse - Premiere
Fleishman Is In Trouble – New Episode
Welcome To Chippendales – New Episode
Muppet Babies - Season 3
Quantico
It's a Wonderful Binge

🇦🇺:
Women In Taipei – New Episode
The Simpsons - New Episode (Season 34)
Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War – New Episode
Grey's Anatomy - New Episode (Season 19)
Station 19 - New Episode (Season 6)
Abbott Elementary - New Episode (Season 2)
Big Sky - New Episode (Season 3)
The First Responders – New Episode
Edge of the Unknown with Jimmy Chin
The Incredible Dr. Pol: Season 20
For Life
Evil Genius
Future Man
The American Rescue Dog Show