AV Forum Member

Re: The DOCTOR WHO Thread

Post by Daniel » January 5th, 2023, 2:44 pm

Latest cover of Doctor Who magazine:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2023, 4:47 pm

Wow…so they’re still doing a Who mag, eh!? Cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » January 5th, 2023, 6:27 pm

Yeah, they never stopped - they're just a bit difficult to find in the US because of the disappearing brick & mortar stores.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 5th, 2023, 7:27 pm

The before issue had David Tennant on the cover and it sold like hot cakes!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2023, 8:56 pm

I think I probably still have my 70s Cyberman-era issues somewhere,though probably with pages falling out! I know I do have my sixth birthday birthday card from Tom Baker, though…found that not long ago and keep that safe! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2023, 9:26 pm

That’s awesome! :)

I had the Yearbook (basically an expanded DW magazine) editions from 1992 and 1993. Read the mags too (a friend was actually able to order them from the UK). The mags had these awesome “shorts” called Brief Encounters (short stories).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 6th, 2023, 12:23 am

Okay, I'll ask, because I want you know (apologies if I was told before and have forgotten)--- Ben, how did it happen that Tom Baker gave you a birthday card on your sixth birthday?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2023, 6:11 am

Back when Elstree and Borehamwood was a *real* hub of film and TV back in the day, you never knew who you might bump into. Roger Moore buying groceries, Harrison Ford in the video rental shop, etc. And this was before "security" stopped these things from happening. I guess Tom Baker was one of them, in town for some reason (this was before Who was shot at Elstree but maybe they were doing locations?) but he was there, and so was I. He was making loads of personal appearances around the country at that time, at the height of original Who's popularity, so naturally went around with a stash of Who stuff for just such the occasion, so I had a quick meet and greet and I guess it must have been around my birthday as out of his merch that he was pushing at the time (as a short-lived personal business he had as a way of making a bit of extra Who money on the side; again something that would obviously never happen today!) I got a birthday card, which he signed to me from him. I’m sure I mentioned this before, but it’s also the reason that he remains "my" Doctor. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2023, 1:47 pm

That's so awesome! Here's the follow-up encounter you posted:
Ben wrote:
April 24th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Bumped into Tom Baker a few weeks back. We were in a book store in London and his big booming voice bellowed out "have you got any of those erotic Chinese prints?"

The store manager guided him to a selection but he wasn't impressed enough to buy. It was just such a mad moment to walk into the store and feel someone coming in behind me. When I turned, it was Baker, with a big jolly smile on his face. I was nearly tempted to remind him that I'd met him before, when I was a young lad and he was in Doctor Who, but the moment passed.

It was just hysterical to hear him call out across the store for what he was after, though! I was, of course, in the movie section (where I picked up a cool book on King Kong, Laurel and Hardy, and an animated shorts encyclopedia).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2023, 7:00 pm

Do you know…I had absolutely no recollection of that at all! I do actually know what bookshop that would have been (taken Jeremie and Rand there, too, when they were over) and still have those three books. I didn’t remember Baker, but it sounds like just the kind of thing that would happen! On your re-posting what he said I can vaguely recall it, and it’s jogged my memory. I guess he just likes erotic Chinese prints! Thanks for the reminder! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2023, 2:31 pm

Jemma Redgrave returns as Kate Lethbridge-Stewart, and Aneurin Barnard joins as Roger ap Gwilliam:

ImageImage

Nice to see Kate back!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2023, 4:08 pm

Peter Capaldi trying on Jon Pertwee's "Planet of the Daleks" jacket.

Wholesome! Peter is rocking that jacket and the look of pure joy on both of their faces! Just lovely.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2023, 4:10 pm

Ooh, suits you, sir, suits you! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Season 9 on Blu minisode announcement:

These are always so amazing! Beautiful tributes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 27th, 2023, 2:52 pm

Set photos:

Cool sneakers!