New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Ben » February 5th, 2023, 4:31 am

The D+ timeline puts it after Solo, which does and doesn’t make sense! ;)

I’ve heard there is a very good fan cutdown of Obi Kenobi that gets rid of the faff and presents it in a movie format. I haven’t seen it, but would be interested to, as it felt exactly as you said, which whole episodes doing nothing and such loose editing hat you could literally loose a second on every cut and trim a lot of fat just by doing that. I have the feeling that length was a desired element on that show, and it was artificially extended whole hoping we wouldn’t notice.

gaastra wrote:
February 4th, 2023, 10:36 pm
Uh-oh.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -to-rivals
Couldn’t read much past the first two paras, but again this makes sense. Fans will subscribe to D+ whatever, but not everyone can afford or want it. Certainly physical media is the overlooked underdog here: how many sets of Mandalorian and Obi-Wan would shift if they released them? I can imagine that they may save 4K exclusives to streaming, as they have done with some Searchlight titles, but I’d certainly pick up Blu-rays for some of the originals, such as Lady And The Tramp and Togo. And maybe there are others that don’t have the service but would want to catch the occasional film or series.

I think streamers are waking up to the fact that streaming alone isn’t a sustainable business. It’s not even "the new home video" quite yet. It’s basically the video rental business, which is ironically what it was born out of. And rentals existed, thrived and survived right alongside the traditional ecosystem of theatrical, on demand, physical, pay television, free-to-air and syndicated packages. Streaming fits right in there as a rental option, and their original movies are the new DTVs, which always did best in the rental market over sell-through anyway.

Nothing wrong with having exclusive series direct on the streamers, naturally, and keeping the, there for a good few months or a year, say, which would drive subs. But nothing wrong, either, in then letting those shows or films enter the usual ecosystem after a "premiere" period and let them also earn in the traditional revenue avenues. It’s a win-win for all, really.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 5th, 2023, 10:46 am

The answer is that Solo and Kenobi partially overlap.

I thought that Obi-Wan was before Solo, though they are both set "about a decade" into the Empire's reign. Solo feels like it occurs not long before A New Hope, while Leia is clearly at least several years away from those events in Kenobi.

However, the official timeline places the opening of Solo a full 10 years before the Battle of Yavin, and Kenobi 9 years, making Solo come first - if you look at the beginning of each story.

An infographic, which I think is official, places the early events of Solo (e.g. Han is expelled from the Academy) before Kenobi, and the later events of Solo after Kenobi, so some parts would be happening simultaneously.

Wookiepedia basically agrees, with the events of Solo sandwiching those in Kenobi.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeli ... 0%935_ABY)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 5th, 2023, 10:51 am

Also, gotta say that no amount of Kenobi editing is going to make Reva's slippery motivation any clearer or make more sense.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 17th, 2023, 2:03 pm

Dropping today: (last weeks was erased by the board :( )

🇺🇸:
Star Wars: The Bad Batch – New Episode (Season 2) 🌎
Marvel's Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
Mila in the Multiverse 🌎
Cesar Millan: Better Human Better Dog
Dian Fossey: Secrets in the Mist
Mars
SuperKitties
j-hope In The Box 🌎
Inside Airport Lost & Found
Making the Wish: Disney’s Newest Cruise Ship

🇬🇧:
Criminal Minds: Evolution – New Episode
NCIS – New Episode
The Resident – New Episode (Season 6)
Bob's Burgers - New Episode - (Season 13)
The Great North - New Episode (Season 3)
Big Sky - New Episode
Good Trouble – New Episode (Season 4)
Prime Time

🇨🇦:
The Simpsons – New Episode (Season 34)
Bob's Burgers - New Episode (Season 13)
How I Met Your Father – New Episode (Season 2)
The Hair Tales
Dollface - Season 2

🇦🇺:
Alaska Daily – New Episode
Abbott Elementary - New Episode (Season 2)
Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir - Season 1-3
Dance Moms
Dance Moms: Miami
Forged in Fire: Knife or Death
Forged in Fire
Wild Crime
Not Dead Yet – New Episode

Uneventful as always.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2023, 9:04 pm

Donut know what happened to last week's. Was that during our unplanned Forum outage?
Daniel wrote:
February 17th, 2023, 2:03 pm
Making the Wish: Disney’s Newest Cruise Ship
As my wife remarked this week: we are all suckers! Disney have us just where they want us, actually subscribing to watch commercials that then make us want to spend more money enjoying the stuff we are paying them to sell to us! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 18th, 2023, 2:46 pm

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Board kept crashing on me so never bothered to redo it. It's a weekly routine! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2023, 8:55 pm

And appreciated! But understood for last week. A seemingly invisible update became a little more, um, visible! Sorry 'bout that!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2023, 3:31 pm

Dropping today:

🇺🇸:
Star Wars: The Bad Batch – New Episode (Season 2) 🌎
Voices Rising: The Music Of Wakanda Forever 🌎
The Low Tone Club
To Catch a Smuggler
Ultimate Airport Dubai
Black Travel Across America
Blow Your Mind
Tini: The New Life of Violetta

🇬🇧:
NCIS – New Episode
The Resident – New Episode (Season 6)
Bob's Burgers - New Episode - (Season 13)
The Great North - New Episode (Season 3)
Big Sky - New Episode
Good Trouble – New Episode (Season 4)
Fleishman Is In Trouble

🇨🇦:
The Simpsons – New Episode (Season 34)
Bob's Burgers - New Episode (Season 13)
Trafficked with Mariana Van Zeller S3
Bruiser
Growing Up Wild

🇦🇺:
Alaska Daily – New Episode
Abbott Elementary - New Episode (Season 2)
Web of Death
Atlanta Plastic
Intervention
Pawn Stars
Stan Lee’s Superhumans: Seasons 1-3
Ice Road Truckers
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2023, 5:25 pm

(yawn)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 24th, 2023, 6:32 pm

Honestly, it's not just Disney+ that's yawn, all the steaming services I subscribed to are very lacklustre with their new material, regular TV is not much better and the movies in cinemas are currently void of constant must see movies being released. I know the way we consume entertainment is different these days but it feels like ages since a TV show/Movie has captured the world's population (well the Western World anyway) as a collective.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 24th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Latest Wall Street press is already claiming that streaming is "dying" as a new investment, which news gave aid and comfort to the physical-disc community.

Necessity is not only the mother of invention, it's the mother of economic bubbles, and the Lockdown made studios just a little TOO Bubble-delusional happy that they thought they'd each have their own personal Netflix and never have to put movies in expensive theaters again...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 24th, 2023, 9:42 pm

The Bad Batch has been so great this year.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 25th, 2023, 12:39 am

There is just too much content being produced, in addition to so much past content being kept available, for much to stand out. There are no new stories, and fewer and fewer ways left to tell them.

Would The Sopranos be a water cooler show today? Or Lost? I am doubtful. The audience has been fractured too much.

There may still be great shows out there, but they are part of an unrelenting flood of content that also contains massive amounts of mediocrity. And even great shows are hard-pressed to not seem derivative of something else we've seen before. That's the result of over 100 years of film, and 70 years of television.

And theatrical films? That's a whole other sad story, tied to pressure to stick with blockbusters and franchises. Still, something like Everything Everywhere All at Once can still surprise us and grab attention. But even that film is a combination of well-worn themes, and being part of the current zeitgeist of exploring the multiverse--- which is a sci-fi and comic book staple going back many decades, and far from novel in the current film landscape.

However, with so much choice, I never have trouble finding something to entertain me. That might be a 1934 film on Blu-ray, or the latest Marvel show on Disney+. Not everything can be groundreaking or original, but much can still be fun to watch.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2023, 4:01 am

But nothing is "special" anymore. We lament that in the filmmaking community, where the allure and lustre of it is also fading fast. Used to be we spend two to four years on a project and it got a big premiere, lots of attention for six months, and stuck around a year or so, hopefully made a bit of a splash and enjoyed life forevermore on video and television as a perennial.

Now you spend that same kind of time on something, for that is how long these things take to make, and it just ends up as a box, or "tile", in a sea of boxy tiles. There’s no premiere — just some kind of "first screening" at that, if you’re lucky — and then your project ends up as a swipeable option on a screen where, if it doesn’t grab an audience in the first five to ten minutes, that two/three years of wirk is just swished off dismissively, and that’s the end of that.

Content is dumped in batches, to a fragmented audience, as you say, that isn’t geared up to watch the 8pm on a Sunday night showing that everyone talks about the next morning. We all catch it at different times — if we even discover a series or film — which is why TV is becoming like the movie business. Used to be a big show, like Sopranos, got big because everyone was talking about it.

Now "big" shows are also based around franchises. Star Wars, Marvel. Old film titles we know that can be brought back in the hope they cut through the clutter and make themselves attractive to watch. Even Stranger Things is that Potter-style amalgamation of themes and tropes from genres we used to love that appeals direct to the nostalgia within us.

But nothing is "special" anymore. It’s just a poster box on a screen waiting for some bored pair of eyes to scroll through all the crud and discover it on their own, and then not really be able to have a conversation about it because no-one else in their community has discovered it, or may not even have that same subscription. We are so awash with content that, if each one is so special, then none of it is… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 25th, 2023, 5:03 am

Besides Only Murders in the Building, there's nothing on Disney+ that interests me. I plan to cancel my subscription in June and only renew it when the third season is released or whenever they decide to put Tiana and Moana (if that ever happens).