Batman: The Animated Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Justice League & Batman Beyond get sets in March 2006

Post by GeorgeC » December 8th, 2005, 3:47 am

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=7480

WB is finally doing boxsets for both Justice and Batman Beyond beginning March next year.

It had been rumored for a while that sets were coming for both shows.

People that have the original single disc releases of these shows might want to hold onto their Justice League discs.

As was the case with the first Superfriends DVD set, extras from the previous single DVD releases appear to have NOT been replicated on the DVD sets.

If you really want the audio commentary for the Justice League pilot ("Secret Origins"), you should probably hold onto the original single DVD.

Personally, I DIDN'T like Justice League in its first season. The show really didn't get good until Season 2 when the writers figured out how to do the show. Superman in particular was portrayed a lot better, too, from Season 2 onward.

I'm NOT a fan at all of Batman Beyond in spite of owning Return of the Joker and the original pilot on DVD. I just can't see anybody else as Batman besides Bruce Wayne. The main character of BB was rarely written as anything other than a whiny, angst-ridden teen and it was hard to sympathize with him.

I MIGHT get JL for the sake of completeness (I'm DEFINITELY getting the later JL and JLU seasons), but I'm skipping Batman Beyond... If people had problems with the character designs in Batman: Gotham Knights (aka The New Batman Adventures recently released as Batman: Volume 4 on Tuesday), the designs in BB are even more bland and colorless if you can imagine! Of course, the scripts were worse than Batman: GK, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 8th, 2005, 4:37 pm

I REALLY want Batman:TAS Season 4. :) (Or Gotham Knights)

It seems like the stories are really daring and outrageous compared to the earlier ones. (not that it makes them better or anything.)

I might get Batman Beyond sometime down the line, just out of curiosity even though it's weird to see Bruce Wayne as an old man. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 18th, 2005, 11:15 pm

A bit off-topic, but I've been watching the superb new 2-disc set for Tim Burton's Batman, and...

You Batman:TAS fans may be interested to know (as I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere) that Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their roles in a storyboard sequence from a scene that was never shot for the movie (a Robin intro). Pretty cool. I sure smiled when I heard those familiar voices come out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 29th, 2005, 1:55 pm

The set is VERY cool. I really like "Mad Love" and "Growing Pains".
Plus "Double Talk" (with the vantriliquest) and "Nothing to Fear" with Scarecrow. (new, scarier design.)

"Old Wounds" was a letdown. It's just like "Oh, O.K," so that's why Nightwing left. You never even got to see how he became Nightwing in the first place. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Batman and Superman: WB Animated Shows

Post by Movie-Man » April 17th, 2006, 8:33 pm

So, is anybody here familiar with this show? If so, post your thoughts about the series here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Yes, of course! :o About a year ago I think the topic of this show came up. I LOVE this show and I currently own Volume III and IV of the seires. Volume IV is the New Adventures/Gotham Knights version.

My favorite episode is "Perchance to Dream" where Bruce wakes up in a world where his parents never died and he never became Batman. That one really messed with your head.... :wink:

I also like the "Baby-Doll" one, "His Silicon Soul", and the Clayface episodes. Plus the origin of Two-Face two-parter RULED. :D

"Heart of Ice" is also one of my faves. Love Mark Hammil as the sleazy CEO of GothCorp.

Banned
Banned

Superman: The Animated Series

Post by Movie-Man » April 18th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Is anybody here familiar with this show from the same crew who did B:TAS? If so, post your thoughts about the show here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2006, 6:50 pm

We already have multiple threads going on about the merits of the Batman and Superman animated shows, so I've melded them together here as we don't need two more!

Please continue a discussion here - thanks!

Banned
Banned

Batman Beyond

Post by Movie-Man » April 19th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Is anybody here familiar with this animated show created by Bruce Timm and co.? And if so, post your thoughts about the show here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Russell_Reyes » June 15th, 2006, 4:38 am

i actually like the new batman in terms of directing and stuff, but what i REALLY cant stand are the horrible soundtrack and horrible character designs... The Joker used to look like a crazy man-clown who kept it cool by wearing that suit and hair... Now he looks like a regular-ol lunatic

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 26th, 2006, 6:39 pm

One thing I really don't get, kinda dumb question:

How come ever time Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is shown on HBO, it's the EDITED version that was first released, with
Robin throwing the gun away and pushing Joker into the electrical wires. How lame was that? In the actual version, which you can get in any store now, Robin shoots the Joker. The Joker says "That's not funny..." collapses and dies. There are other changes too.
HBO can show anything they want...so why are the showing the muted version of this film? (I don't care much since I already own the unedited version...it's just weird is all.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2006, 5:33 am

Sometimes the masters sent out to broadcasters come from a separate unit of the company. It's quite common to have a TV edition that is shown all the time and for a Director's Cut or Special Edition or Unrated/Uncut film to have a completely different catalog reference.

It's also why WHV can continue to sell uncut copies of the DVD when only the cut version is in wide distribution.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2006, 7:52 pm

You Batman:TAS fans may be interested to know (as I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere) that Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their roles in a storyboard sequence from a scene that was never shot for the movie (a Robin intro). Pretty cool. I sure smiled when I heard those familiar voices come out.
Yeah...I finally saw this. Pretty cool, all right! :D

But still I'm glad they left Robin out of Batman '89 and Bats '92....he just would not have fit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 8th, 2006, 8:02 am

GeorgeC wrote: To be sure, it wasn't as bad as Batman Beyond and certainly The Batman animated series (the current in-production Batman series) is 100 times worse than the average episode of even Batman Beyond.
I love Batman Beyond :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 8th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Your not alone Eric! I'm a huge Fan of Batman Beyond :) I even have the complete first season on dvd ;)

How is it bad? Its a futuristic look at Gotham, and you get to see someone 'new' put on the mask. Everything about it worked! Story, music, and animation.

Ever saw The Return of The Joker? That movie is beyond awesome! :D It was also nice seeing the Joker looking like his original self.

Oh, and if anyone ever saw the last season of Justice League Unlimited. There was an episode that had a HUGE revelation of Batman Beyond revealed! I'm still a little shocked, but I kinda suspected it ;)

*Big spoiler*
Terry is Batman's son! :shock: for anyone who's curious as to how, and why here's a link that should help... http://www.tv.com/justice-league-unlimi ... recap.html