Batman: The Animated Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 10th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Yeah, I saw that episode of JLU and my jaw hit the floor! I always thought BB got a bad rap. I'm always telling people that "Return of the Joker" is the best Batman movie ever, but they look at me weird when I say that. Oh well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Your jaw to? ;)

"Return of The Joker" IMO is the best Batman movie ever! Even better than another favorite of mine, "Mystery of The Batwoman" :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2006, 7:46 pm

I knew Dan would have to love that too. Isn't <I>Catwoman</I> generally regarded as the <I>worst</I> of the Bat-animated "features"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 10th, 2006, 7:49 pm

No way, Batman: The Movie is still best in my book! :P

"Holy costumed party! That's the Penguin!" :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Ben wrote:I knew Dan would have to love that too.
You know me so well Ben :)
Ben wrote: Isn't <I>Catwoman</I> generally regarded as the <I>worst</I> of the Bat-animated "features"?
Its Batwoman Ben ;)

I really don't recall :? I remember a critique from Ew giving it a C.

I thought it was great, though. You get to see Bane (from Batman and Robin) and the Penguin (new model). Not to mention the whole mystery of who is 'Batwoman'.

Lets just say, I was surprised :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2006, 8:55 pm

You must have been surprised three times! ;)

Yes, B...my mistake.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2006, 9:43 pm

:shock: You have heard about it, haven't you Ben? ;)

Aww, now you won't be surprised :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 11th, 2006, 1:54 am

Batwoman is my least fave of them--it didn't have direct involvement from Bruce Timms or any of the other people who did the "DC Animated Universe" (which refers for those who don't know to the DC animated series set in the same loose unvierse from Batman TAS thru to Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, and JL/JLU) even though it's set in that universe and I find it just very very very MEH. But ti's not horrendous or anything

return of the Joker is fabulous especially in its unedited director's version.

On the DCAUniverse forum Batman Beyond has started getting a lot of praise--many noting how it is actually in many ways more adult than theother cartoons (and Timms and co were clever--the WB wanted basically a teen take on Batman to appeal to Buffy;'s young initial audiences--and actuallya sked for them to just turn Batman into a teenager--they found a much more creative solution)

E

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 2:44 am

Very, very meh? I beg to differ ;)
EricMontreal26 wrote:return of the Joker is fabulous especially in its unedited director's version.
Ooh, thanks for mentioning that! :P I have the regular dvd version, so what exacly makes the unedited version better? I mean, the regular seems very graphic already, so there's more? :?

I've seen it recently for 10 dollars, so I want to know if its worth double dipping :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 11th, 2006, 7:12 am

To be honest, I think...
even if there were no other differences between the two versions, the unedited flashback, containing Robin's mental breakdown and Joker's death, is worth the $10 bucks. It's a powerful scene.
If you want a full list of the differences in the edited and unedited versions of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, you'll definitely want to check out this site.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 5:55 pm

OH MY GOSH DJ YOU NEVER SAW THE UNEDITED VERSION!!! RUN TO WAL-MART RIGHT NOW! :shock: (J/K :P )

But seriously, it's quite different. I read about the whole thing (as well as the whole story, which I guess blew the ending, but oh well) beforehand, but the unedited version is much more graphic, you see Robin's torture *shudder* :shock: more clearly as well WHAT A COMPLETE B*****D the Joker really is. and most imporantly Robin's final confrontation with the Joker which is completely different than the edited version, and also makes a whole lot more sense when you add things up! Seriously, it's one of my favorite movies ever (altough I do wish Matt Valencia had gotten to act more, I still don't think his "laughter" was all that convincing) and it's hard to forget once you've watched it....the right version that is. :wink:

It also got me a little more into Batman Beyond which I had very little interest in before. :roll:

Also, I think in Batwoman Eliot Marienthal plays Robin, he also did Hogarth's voice in The Iron Giant! :)

(I even wrote a short commentary on BB: ROTJ film's themes, which I might post sometime. :wink: :oops:)

Once you see the unedited version, you'll understand why I wanted Harley dead! :twisted:
Last edited by ShyViolet on December 12th, 2006, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 9:38 pm

I'm speechless :shock:

Big thanks for the site, Josh! I read it and I'm amazed at what got cut out. Nifty website!

And Vi, nope I've never seen the unedited version, (but you never asked ;))

I already saw the few differences, and wow, lets just say it sounds a lot better than the edited version!

It also sounds more graphic :?
showing poor Robin getting tortured. And seeing the Joker getting killed a different way. Which btw, I thought his original death was lame,
Oh and Vi, no wonder I never got what you had against Harley, maybe when I finally see it I'll get what you mean
All in all, I'm so double dipping! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 12th, 2006, 2:20 am

Ya it'd definetly worth a double dip--while I don't necesarily think more graphic is better in this case the edited version is just like a neutered version of the real movie.

(I say that while never actually having seen the edited version :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 12th, 2006, 2:34 am

How funny Eric! :D I've only seen the edited version, while you've only seen the unedited version.

Weired... ;)

We both need to catch up :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 12th, 2006, 5:34 am

What's really funny is (I think I mentioned it before) that whenever BB: ROTJ is shown on HBO, it's the edited, censored version! :roll: :roll: WTF?????

Someone here, I think it was Ben, said that sometimes different companies have different prints of a certain film and that's probably the version that HBO had, so that's what they showed.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!