South Park

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2010, 4:50 am

I'm not sure where we are alongside you guys in the States, but totally by accident I saw two episodes of two shows this week: Simpsons' Treehouse Of Horror, which was billed as "new", and South Park, also "new".

The Simpsons, which featured a Psycho spoof and goodness knows what else (I've put it out of my mind) was tired, labored, obvious and just plain unfunny. I don't think I even cracked half a smirk once.

But I have to say that South Park, where Coon And Friends set out to save the lives of those caught in a building on fire, didn't actually make me laugh the way it used to either. I did see another episode about a month ago that was funny in the old style, but this superhero one also seemed to me to be pretty run of the mill.

Although having said that, run of the mill South Park is still funnier than most of the other stuff on TV...the last few Family Guys haven't been as randomly funny as they once were, but SP still made me chuckle a handful of times, even if I wasn't rolling about on the floor as some shows have had me doing (figuratively speaking!).

AV Team
AV Team

Re: South Park

Post by Dacey » November 9th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I'm not sure which ToH special you saw, Ben, but the one that we just got here in the US was mediocre at best. There were laughs, sure, but I was expecting more from it. Especially from the "Twilight" parody, which promised to be really funny, but instead wasn't much of a spoof of "Twilight" at all. And the "Jamunji" parody just should've been completely re-written.

I am of the opinion, though, that "The Simpsons" still remains the best of the animated primetime shows. I can't speak of the older episodes, as I haven't seen them yet (gonna buy the box sets...someday), but the newer episodes I've seen have been pretty amusing overall. Not always perfect or anything, but enjoyable.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 9th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Sounds like Ben saw last years special "XX", which they also re-aired before the new one. Eh, on the whole both are mixed bags. Dacey basically hit the nail on the head for this years THoH.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Yep, XX was it. I didn't bother staying on to watch this year's after that, not only for the lack of laughs but because something else was starting on another channel!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 15th, 2019, 12:20 am

Al Gore on "ManBearPig", via the Daily Show. Lol. (Man, is he a good sport! :o )

I remember finding the original ep from thirteen years ago ( :shock: ) really funny, but haven't watched the follow-up yet. But I will ASAP! :)

"I am super serial!"
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 15th, 2019, 12:56 am

That was one of the only episodes the South Park creators ever non-ironically apologized for.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2020, 2:56 pm

A pandemic special is airing this week:

Haven't seen an episode in years, but I'm kind of exited for this! The normality of it all. Hope it delivers!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2020, 5:16 pm

This should be good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Yes, definitely epic!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 28th, 2020, 2:42 pm

If Kenny doesn't die from Covid this special will be for naught! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 28th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Lol! I didn’t even know they were still doing the: “Oh my God, he killed Kenny!” thing. Ha ha. :P

(Or at least killing Kenny.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Ok, that was a great episode! :D

Kenny died of a Covid related death. (not really, that makes sense if you've seen it!) You know, if I was younger and in school, I think I would've been just like Cartman! Catchy song he sung. Loved him holding his 6 foot stick. I need one of those! "Do not quote the president in front of my son"! Ha! Trying to get Butters to Build a Bear! Mickey Mouse! Jab at Mulan. Amazing how it summed up the year so far, even the fires!

The whole weed and mustache thing seemed a little out there, but I still enjoyed. Hope we don't have to wait too long for the next episode/special!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 20th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Another pandemic special! Yay!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Promo: (mild language)

Hilarious! Bet Cartman will refuse the vaccine. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 24th, 2021, 1:41 am

Pretty insightful analysis video on South Park. Amazingly, the guy who did this is a teenager...

[EDIT: Warning for some pretty strong language and visual content, which goes without saying when dealing with South Park, but still…]