The Twilight Zone

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Twilight Zone

Post by ShyViolet » February 16th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Very interesting (if a bit technical) vid explaining some of the editing of the "It's a Good Life" segment of the '83 film. There's not a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff from the TZ movie, so I thought it was cool. :)

Even though this ending wasn't exactly Joe Dante's first choice (Warners vetoed his "they all die" house explodes bit as way too dark) I still love it...brings back a lot of memories from when I first saw it at 13. It's my favorite segment out of the four (although in my opinion Mumy outdoes Licht in terms of terrifying).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 16th, 2021, 7:33 pm

Awesome. I remember doing a cut once, which had a live effect insert, and we did an impromptu run-through to see if the idea would work...and it was awesome. We went back to master it properly, and we could never quite get it as frame perfect as it was on that kind of thrown together first version, so I can totally relate here. Happy accidents.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 18th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Oh. My. God. :shock:

I had no IDEA about ANY of this!!!!!

https://www.cbr.com/donnie-darko-creato ... ight-zone/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 19th, 2021, 1:16 pm

I meant to bring up the biopic but I get so lazy and forget!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2021, 8:04 pm

No prob Dan! :wink:

Anyway, can’t express how excited I am for this! :) :) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2021, 12:43 am

Reboot has been canceled. Didn't see that coming. Oh well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2021, 6:23 am

Because it wasn’t good!? ;)

Writing was on the wall when it got all those lacklustre comments. Surely the Zone should have seen than coming...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2021, 7:05 pm

“Saw it comin’!” -Bender on “The Scary Door.”

:P

I never really got a chance to properly watch these, but I certainly wasn’t encouraged by all those negative comments from pretty much all over the internet. The one I kept seeing was “heavy handed”. Which very much put me off. Rod may have had a few that suffered from this flaw, but his best ones were so brilliantly and effortlessly dramatic without being in the least didactic. (Eye of the Beholder, Midnight Sun, the Dummy, etc...). That was probably the best aspect of the Zone...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 25th, 2021, 8:04 pm

Did they HAVE more than two episodes? All I ever heard about was the Comic episode, and the Trump-kid episode.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2021, 8:16 pm

They at least had a couple more, including what I wrote about my reaction somewhere above...but this is a show that totally seemed to miss out on making any kind of impact.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 27th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Season 2 was getting somewhat better buzz. I saw all of Season 1 and just didn't find it that good. Episodes started out promising and than got preachy towards the end. Can't say I will honestly miss it. Now to wait for the next reboot. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 31st, 2021, 12:19 am

William Shatner (just celebrated his 90th birthday! :)) watching himself in “Nick of Time”, his debut ep on the original TZ. (Scroll down for vid.)

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/william-sha ... ight-zone/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 31st, 2021, 2:16 am

And "Nick of Time"'s a much better episode than the other one he's been culturally stuck with by people who don't watch the series.

(Just saw a preview for Shatner doing one of those "Old-folks" comedies that Robert DeNiro or Diane Keaton usually do, only here it was Shatner and an equally old Christopher Lloyd, to depress us 80's survivors. Have to admit, he's doing pretty well for 90.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm

It's National Twilight Zone Day! No-one knows the exact reason why, it just is. To mark the occasion, Syfy is airing an all day marathon. Yep, you know I'm watching!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 11th, 2021, 3:29 pm

All right! 8) I didn’t even know that was a thing. Hope you enjoy!