The Twilight Zone

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The Twilight Zone

Post by Randall » July 2nd, 2019, 1:17 am

I only wish I was buying the Blu-rays now, as the price has gone down considerably!

But I know what you mean about the "shared experience" of watching it "live."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 8th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:15 pm
There's just something special about it airing on network telly and knowing other people are watching it. It's tradition! Or was... even though I always get exhausted watching. 'Tis the principle! ;
Seeing it turn up on Amazon Prime, the new Peele-cashin episodes are available for streaming in color, or...B&W!
Apparently, CBSAA wanted to address underwhelmed viewer complaints, and felt the show would be "more like the original", and have that grittier Rod Serling feel, if it was in 50's B&W.
(One smells desperation. :? )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 9th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Yep, like Black and White will fix everything! It's a cool idea, but one that probably should've been an option from the get-go. Feels like trying to appease fans of the original instead of maintaining their artistic integrity.

Might benefit a few episodes, and for others may do the opposite! One that comes to mind is "A Traveler". There's some truly beautiful things that pop in color, like the Northern Lights, the snow and Christmas lights. It would just be sterile in Black and White.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Second favorite TZ ending ever!! :) (The first is from The Dummy)

(Posted by CBS)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 5th, 2019, 2:01 pm

"It's a cookbook!"

One of the best plot twists EVER! ;)

Always intrigues me how Patty was able to decipher the books cover in mere hours when Mr. Chambers couldn't after trying for weeks on end.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 5th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Oh definitely! :)

Yeah, I also never quite understood how she was even able to decipher it in the first place. Not just because there’s not even a semblance of a clue as to what sound each letter makes, but, as Mr. Chambers said, the Kanamits are no doubt about: “Five hundred times as intelligent,” as humans. (And...there’s also telepathic! :? )

I also always wondered how Patty even figured out that it was a cookbook. I guess it had... “recipes” for how to cook humans??? “Make sure they don’t lose weight because they won’t be as tasty then.” Creepy! :shock: :shock: :shock:

(Also The Simps parody is so brilliant!)

Aliens: We have every possible TV channel in the known universe!
Bart: Do you have HBO?
Aliens: No, that costs extra.

:P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2019, 2:44 pm

In honor of the 60th Anniversary, six episodes are coming to theatres for a special one-night only celebration. Way cool! Nice selection. The only one I could take or leave is "The Invaders", not really one of my favorites. Imagine had they chosen "The Midnight Sun"..! :o still, it would be neat to see "Walking Distance". That's another huge favorite of mine. The music, the ending, how much that episode relates. If that's not enough, a brand new documentary, too!

Well, my local theatre is screening it. Not too surprising since I just went to one recently. Getting the chance to see these masterpieces on the big screen, with that surround sound... it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Definitely going to try!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2019, 5:36 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 4:38 pm
(Also The Simps parody is so brilliant!)
Aliens: We have every possible TV channel in the known universe!
Bart: Do you have HBO?
Aliens: No, that costs extra.
Lisa: "It's a cookbook!": ("How to Cook Humans")
Alien: (dusts off cover: "How to Cook FOR Humans")
Lisa: ("How to Cook FORTY Humans")
Alien ("How to Cook FOR Forty Humans")

That was back before Matt Groening considered himself hiply superior to all vintage sci-fi ever made in Futurama, and could still do reasonably funny and non-passive-aggressive deconstructions of "what's the whole big deal about TZ anyway?"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 29th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Love that book title cover joke too. :). Plus I think James Earl Jones played “Zerach the preparer” who helped cook the dinner and was crying because the Simps didn’t like it. :cry:

(At least I think so....been SO LONG since I’ve watched that ep.)

That same Halloween ep also did “It’s a Good Life” with Bart in the Bill Mumy/Bad Seed role. Another great twist on a well-known horror story (Monkey’s Paw was kinda “meh.”)

The only one I could take or leave is "The Invaders", not really one of my favorites.
Yeah...I was never too much into that one either. Actually, the stuff with the mute old woman trying to defend herself from the tiny alien ships was pretty cool (especially since there’s no dialogue). But the conclusion felt really forced and tacked on. The kind of twist you would see in a lame fantasy movie from the last 20 years.

The whole plot including the twist ending:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invad ... ight_Zone)

Like I said...felt really tacked on. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 1st, 2019, 1:57 pm

From your link:
Wikipedia wrote:When the episode was adapted for the Twilight Zone Radio Dramas, starring Kathy Garver,[3] the story was changed from an old non-speaking woman to an elderly couple.
News to me! Since I can barely stomach the eppy, never did bother with the Radio Drama. On the surface, sounds like an improvement. Although it brings to mind "The Trade-Ins"... I'll need to give a listen!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 1st, 2019, 11:00 pm

Interesting, although I still do kind of like the “mute” idea. The big problem was that even with a very atmospheric feel, the episode basically has nowhere to go, so a very stale “twist” is almost hurriedly tacked on.

It might be better with an elderly couple who can actually give voice to their thoughts. Hard to say, though. The premise itself is interesting enough, but if nothing really different is done with it, it just peters out, as we saw in the original ep.

SPOILER ALERT

(Also, I’ve always wondered: if the tiny spaceships were actually humans from Earth, why did they keep attacking the woman? I mean I understand that she’s a scary giant and all, but couldn’t they just fly out of there right away instead of scaring her into taking a (giant-sized) axe and destroying their ship/killing one of their crewman? And did they really have to shoot her with that ray gun thing that made spots break out on her arms?? Ugh. :roll:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 10th, 2019, 11:48 am

REALLY REALLY REALLY fascinating JoBlo video on the TZ big-screen movie from 1983; specifically the horrifically tragic helicopter accident that killed actor Vic Morrow (who played the racist guy) and the two young children in the John Landis segment.

I didn’t even know so much of this stuff...really worth watching. (Just FYI some graphic descriptions/images from the helicopter accident. :| )

https://youtu.be/f2NcLN1AT-s

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 15th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Check out the box set coming from France in December. In France, the series is known as The Fourth Dimension. I love the book. Too bad it's in French!

https://www.amazon.fr/Quatri%C3%A8me-Di ... 1914433e62

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 16th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Ooh...purdy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 16th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Trippy! I like!

From what I gather, the book is a 60 page episode guide. That's still pretty nifty. In addition, the box set includes a bonus DVD and a 20 page booklet written by Martin Winkler.