The Twilight Zone

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The Twilight Zone

Post by Ben » September 8th, 2020, 8:37 pm

I think the kids in ET mimic the TZ theme when they go out into the yard after Elliott tells them he saw something out back. That was a year and a half earlier, in '82.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 9th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Yep, here's the scene:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 9th, 2020, 3:27 pm

You RULE, Dan!! :)

Cultural osmosis has always played a part in spreading TV/film references throughout the decades. I knew the term “the Twilight Zone” and its general meaning wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before I EVER watched an episode. (Saw my first marathon at twelve I think.). I think I even knew the name Rod Serling beforehand too.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2020, 3:27 pm

A very good edit of all the verses sung in "Come Wander With Me":

There's always been versions floating around but none complete like this one. Pretty sweet! It's a great episode. The music, the brooding atmosphere. Bonnie Beecher gives a terrific performance. Such a hauntingly beautiful song. One of my favorites, yadda yadda yadda. ;)

Fun fact: this was the final episode to be filmed. "The Bewitchin' Pool" was the last to broadcast.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Daniel wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 3:27 pm
A very good edit of all the verses sung in "Come Wander With Me":
And it's kind of lonely being the only TZ fan able to figure out the PLOT of that episode.
Having to explain it to all the other fans every single time gets sort of old after a while. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » October 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Are you sure? you don't seem to be right very often.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 11th, 2020, 1:46 pm

That's an understatement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Ok, I realize this article is like a month old, but thought it was kinda interesting in that it details the real possibility of Jordan Peele producing another movie for 2022. I really think it’s going to be a TZ film! :) (Well, it’s possible, anyway.)

(Consequently, listening to “Midnight Special” right now. Lol. :))

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/jorda ... 234597702/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Midnight Special...now there’s a movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 18th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Couple of colorized pics someone posted: (Mr. Henry Bemis from "Time Enough at Last" and Marsha White from "The After Hours".)

ImageImage

Amazing!! They both look good in color. For years I've always wished they would colorize a few episodes. I felt the same way with "I Love Lucy" and that finally became a reality! They're not perfect, but gosh are they gorgeous. And it's fun seeing what color some things are. Like experiencing them anew. Since there's a drought in original programming it would've been a treat if CBS colorized an episode. "A Stop at Willoughby" would really benefit if they went the partial route like what was done to "Miniature". I like to pretend when I watch that episode. A guy can dream...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Wow, that is pretty neat! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 19th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Did some research and found a website that lets you upload a black and white picture and colorize it via AI. Probably how the ones above were done. Since I mentioned Willoughby I found a good picture to experiment on. Here's the original followed by the color edit:

Willoughybycolor.jpg
Willoughybycolor.jpg (346.44 KiB) Viewed 5352 times

Wow. The grass, trees, clothes, horsies! In my mind I pictured them black. If you look closely you can see where the program struggles with some elements. Like the tree, bench and lady's dress. Still, pretty remarkable and gives an idea. Imagine with real effort. Surreal!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 19th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Would love to see The Bewitchin’ Pool in color. I really loved your idea, Dan, of making it like the Wizard of Oz and only colorizing the secret world, but I think it might also be cool to colorize the children’s “real” home—that pool/mansion would no doubt look even more luxurious, thus emphasizing the theme that having fancy possessions without real love does not bring happiness. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 20th, 2020, 2:41 pm

So very true. Shame we never got interior shots, we only ever saw them outside by the pool. -- The very same pool that appeared in "Queen of the Nile" and "The Trouble with Templeton". Fun fact. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 20th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Oh wow, I didn’t even know that. :)