Family Guy

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 7th, 2006, 2:53 pm

That's pretty neat - I'm no fan of Family Guy myself, and it's interesting to see what they're ripping off besides The Simpsons.

Although, the Death thing is stupid and Snoopy doesn't wear a red collar...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 7th, 2006, 3:52 pm

It's got to be a joke - they've got to be actually making fun of people who think that way about Family Guy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 7th, 2006, 5:14 pm

The Death thing in that blog is completely ridiculous though. South Park didn't invent... Death.
I think what he meant to say was NOT that MacFarlane was ripping off the image of Death--yeah, everyone knows that image. But what he was stealing was the concept of death being a regular character on a cartoon, and killing/reviving characters on an ongoing basis. I get his point, and I agree with a lot of what he says. (He should have been clearer about it though)

There's a BIG difference between "paying homage" to something and OUTRIGHT STEALING IT. There's a big difference between having pop-culture references to better illustrate a point and packing them in FOR ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER. SM takes jokes from the Simpsons, not references, but actual jokes, and reproduces them verbatim. That's simply unforgivable.

I absoulely LOVED LOVED LOVED the South Park ep and I can't wait to see Part II! :wink: IMO it's they're best episode ever, the funniest, the cleverest, the sharpest, the most thought-provoking. Is it worth it to stand up for the cause of free speech even if it might hurt people, or if it's for your own gain, or if it's simply for something that's simply too stupid and worthless to bother with in the first place? And they actually have the guts to put the whole self-reflexive subplot of Fox as standing in for Comedy Central with their own riff on Scientology. Absolutely brilliant. Matt and Trey, my hat goes off to you. They're showing an encore presentation of this next Wednesday, right before the concluding 2nd part. I reccommend it to ALL.

Best Lines: :P

Stan's dad (after destroying the TV when Family Guy comes on)

"It's all right now...it's dead!"

Cartman:

"Don't you ever, ever, EVER compare me to Family Guy!"

Fake Peter to Fake Brian:

"This is just like the time I got a job as a carrot cake!"

Fox President to George W:

"Sir...there's...something you should know about the writers of Family Guy!" *End of Episode, Tune in Next Week to Learn the Terrible Secret!*

:lol:

:lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 7th, 2006, 6:54 pm

I was pretty impressed at how Matt & Trey used Family Guy/Fox to make fun of the whole Comedy Central beaing wusses about the episodes of South Park they pulled.

But Carman's rant to Kyle about being compared to Family Guy WAS relating to Matt & Trey. They said that they have gotten compared to Family Guy before and they said it was like a punch in the balls.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2006, 12:43 am

But Carman's rant to Kyle about being compared to Family Guy WAS relating to Matt & Trey. They said that they have gotten compared to Family Guy before and they said it was like a punch in the balls.
Right, that's what makes it so interesting. On the surface it seems as though they're attacking Family Guy, and they are, but at the same time they question the whole idea of making a big spectacle of destroying something you don't like...or just leaving it alone.
Otherwise why have Cartman as their stand-in, why not Kyle or Stan? (who most viewers would identify with easier) After all, Cartman's the guy that no one really likes.... :roll: That's why the episode is so great on different levels. The moral of the story is that even though Matt and Trey HATE family guy and would prefer that it be off the air, they still defend free speech. That was my impression.

MacFarlane, in his wildest dreams, could never hope to produce anything this insightful. Trying would probably rupture his brain. His humor is along the lines of: "Hi. Me funny. You all laugh now. Ha ha."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Well I saw part II...it was hilarious! Ha! Family Guy is written by....manitees! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 12th, 2006, 11:52 pm

I didn't see that coming.

They got on EVERYONE, even themselves. Loved it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2006, 11:54 pm

Yeah, like "Oh that show used to be good but now it's just all political messages!"

They're awesome. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2006, 4:17 pm

I must see these shows. A friend has the first few from this season...looks like I'll pop around to his over Easter...! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 13th, 2006, 4:27 pm

The US iTunes Music Store has them available online for $1.99 each (or 11.99 for a season pass). Not sure about the UK version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm

I want Season 7! :P

I love the episode with Michael Jackson "No, you're ignorant!" and the one with J. Lo!!!! :D

Also I wanted to add that in the Family Guy ep Kyle also represented Matt and Trey, Kyle believes in free speech and won't let Cartman destroy Family Guy. Both Cartman and Kyle present a different side of the argument which is the great part.

And kudos kudos kudos to the Action Movie/Ben-Hur homage when Cartman and Kyle ride their trikes through the desert. It was a perfect and APPROPRIATE reference since Cartman and Kyle are finally having it out after their long rivalry. I think the whole point of that was to show how there's a big difference between a thoughtful pop-culture homage and a mindless reference that means nothing.

And Bart Simpson's appearance killed me! "Cowabunga, m*****f******!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2006, 8:28 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 14th, 2006, 8:53 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Wow this thing stays current: :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Wars_Part_I
Wikis can be good like that when you have enthusiastic people.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Nice to see James promoting the good side of Wikis... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 16th, 2006, 1:21 am

Why would I be interested in promoting wikis? I'm just stating the truth, man!

:)