Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 12th, 2007, 1:41 am

Was that the time travelling one?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 12th, 2007, 2:31 am

Yes, it was! The title for the eppy was Meet the Quagmires.

Loved the Jetson's cutaway, the Back to Future reference, and the fact that Brian got to sing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » June 13th, 2007, 12:17 pm

I LOVED the season finale, Meet the Quagmires.

Brian singing that Rick Astley song was just brilliant. Peter bumping into the chicken, the jetsons gag, Peter dancing to Beverly Hills Cop... I could go on and on, this episode made me laugh out loud all the way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 14th, 2007, 3:58 am

PatrickvD wrote:Peter bumping into the chicken
Now that was funny! :lol:

I also loved the Roger cameo at the end.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 18th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Funny!!! Even though it just replaces the lyrics to the FCC song, I still love it!

Also, FYI, Volume V comes out on DVD today!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 15th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Has anyone heard about this? Like, how is this even possible?? :? :?:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012787
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2007, 5:40 pm

Well, these shows would have been written and recorded months ago, so his involvement is not technically needed.

Where he's missing out is as a creator/exec producer, who would normally oversee any final revisions to lines, make timing cuts, etc, and generally approve the final ink and painted, fully mixed version that gets archived on tape.

Since he's a writer, he can't be seen to take on those producer roles without a conflict of interest, which is why he's not involved. But, to be fair to Fox, they have a business to run and if they can continue production (and don't forget that he would have been involved and approved story and voices early on) without too much disruption, then so be it.

I'm actually for the writers here, but once that part is done, productions usually head off in their own directions. It's only because he usually oversees everything from beginning to end that it's in anyway unusual, but the rest of the crews, producers, etc, are still in check and doing their job, so these are unlikely to stick out as anything odd in the long run.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 16th, 2007, 4:06 am

Without going into too much detail, yeah that's pretty accurate.

From my understanding, the episodes themselves are nearly complete, they just need to be "ok'd" AND - this is where I'm hearing mix stories - all of Peter's and Brian's lines to be recorded or need to be finished along with other random characters. I'm pretty sure its the latter, but you never know.

I actually do support Seth for doing this. With the strike and all, I've heard so much about how the writers are paid etc. I feel kind of bad for them.

With Fox, I'm mixed. On one side, I totally see where thier coming from. *November sweeps* but the other is like, that's not right.

I don't know, I have a bad feeling about this. With this new news, I'm worried about the future of FG. :( Should be interesting this Sunday, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Well Seth is between a rock and a hard place. He can't write and should be in the strike, but he's also aware that Fox have product they can put out that he's technically already approved in the original writing and recording.

Nope, I would be very shocked if Brian and Peter's lines haven't been laid down in some form. As well all know, animation is done to the voices, so they would have been recorded. What can happen on a show like this (and South Park and Simpsons) is the swapping of a line late in the game, but this would be either a different reading of the same line or a similarly timed one that would fit the animation well enough.

Usually this is basically because the coreator/exec wants to nit-pick over something that could well have worked one way or the other. He just won't get the chance to do this on these few shows.

But to say he wasn't "involved" in them is, well, a little "stoopid". :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 17th, 2007, 2:54 am

When you put it that way, yeah. ;)

True Ben, and that's what I'm kind of worried about. Its gonna be pretty weired watching an episode with the original voices, then all of sudden it changes to god only knows what. I mean, the characters ARE Seth!

What worries me most, is its being done against Seth's wishes. We already established that Fox is well within their right to do so, but providing when the strike ends, Seth might not even come back. Which could possibly mean new voices for the remainder of the season/series...

I'm just hoping for the best. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 18th, 2007, 11:54 pm

This writer's strike is causing all sorts of drama. I just watched Family Guy tonight and I think it was supposed to be a new episode. All i have to say is it was the best family guy I have seen in a long time. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 19th, 2007, 2:15 am

Yeah, it was a new episode. Haven't seen it yet, so I can't say how it was. Glad you liked it, though! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 13th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Did anyone catch that Blue Harvest special a few months back? If you did and enjoyed it, (in my case loved!) it comes out on DVD this Tuesday. (1/15) Prices for the regular edition are: $14.99 at Circuit City and $12.99 at Best Buy. Obvious choice be BB. If you're interested in the Special Edition, well, every retailer seems to be selling it at the same price, $24.99.

I'll be getting the SE, since it will probably not be in the season boxset, ala Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. Not that it would be a complete waste either way, since it comes with cool goodies, like a T-shirt. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » May 10th, 2008, 12:07 pm

I saw Blue Harvest, yeah. It was ok, but a lot of it just wasn't very funny. That said, there were some incredible laugh-out-loud moments.

It certainly doesn't hold a candle to the Robot Chicken Star Wars special - that thing's in a league of its own.

Anyways, do you guys know how Family Guy is actually animated? I got this link from google: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/102413 but I'm not sure how reliable it is. I'm pretty sure it's animated by computer, but I'd like to hear it from a source which is more reliable :P.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Blue Harvest just ran here on "official" TV. ;)

I thought it was fun, but I'm still torn on spoofs that basically re-run the original and just add jokes. Essentially, although there were several big laughs in there, most of the smiles came just from recognising the scene they were lifting.

I thought it was fun they recognised the Robot Chicken one...that's now on my list to see too. :)