Thundercats

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 10:07 pm

The New Archies: I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it.
It was O.K., nothing special. It was basically just the Archie world except all of them pre-teens, Jughead a nerd and Veronica the popular girl, etc....and set in the late 80's of course. :wink: :roll:

I pretty much forget about its existence until a topic like this reminds me.... :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Re: Thundercats in Live-action

Please tell me this is a joke!!! :(

What is it with the 80's anyway? :roll: :P

I liked them but I'm not desperate to re-live them through 60% CGI /live-action films that don't remotely resemble their source material....:(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Megagents » July 22nd, 2007, 3:40 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Plus, Snarf is now their leader!

The animation will be re-designed in an psudo-Anime Teen Titans style.

(I know this sounds horrendous, and it is, but it's kind of funny too because the original show was also somewhat inspired by Japanese animation, but only slightly.)
Well saying psudo and teen titans style was uncalled for, just one will do.

Also I thought it was made in Japan but was shown in America. I know that sounds dumb but that's what I've heard, I really wish I knew if T-Cats were an American or Japanese cartoon. I also heard the same about Transformers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 22nd, 2007, 7:42 pm

Thundercats was a Rankin-Bass production .. an american studio, which primarily did the scripts, designs, layout, and key timing; while the bulk of the 'animation' for the show itself was done by a variety of studios in Japan.

Thundercats did air in both Japan and the U.S., but it is considered an 'american' show (since the principal creative was done here) .. it was not a 'pre-existing' anime show which was 'imported' to the U.S., as was the case with Robotech.

----------------

Transformers is a bit more complex; the toys came first, manufactured by Takara in Japan as "Micro Change" toys; robot action figures which could be folded to change into everyday objects. Hasbro imported the toys to the U.S. in 1984 and re-branded them as "Transformers".

Hasbro tapped Jim Shooter of Marvel Comics to create a 'back story' for the toys, which became the storyline for both the comic book and the animated series. The TV series was produced by Sunbow Productions (an american animation studio) in a similar manner to Thundercats; the scripts, designs, and key creative were done in the U.S., and the bulk of finished animation was done by various studios in Japan. Sunbow produced the 1986 Transformers: The Movie in much the same way.

So, Transformers is considered an 'american' animated show, though it is based on a pre-existing japanese toy line.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 24th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Eh,

I stopped caring about Hollywood doing this stuff to old properties.

The masses rule, the nerds drool. Or spew biley drool.

The masses made Transformers a hit in spite of a paper-thin plot based on a poorly animated series made to sell neat toys. (And yes, the toys ARE still neat today! But I speak of the original and recently updated originals, not the awful movie designs.) Heck, even the out-of-date car designs (like Hot Rod) on the original series were better-designed than the "revamped" robots in the new movie.

Hollywood will continue to stop doing remakes when people stop going to them.

...Or when more people wake up and actually take a look at the source material these remakes are based on.

There's no question to my mind that at least 75% of the original shows are BETTER than the remakes.

Transformers is the exception to the rule that these remakes WILL ultimately bomb because they're soulless corporate creations that lack the spark and humanity that their predecessors had. Otherwise the remake of Honeymooners would have eclipsed the Jackie Gleason original... just like the Will Smith Wild, Wild West was "better" than the '60s Wild, Wild West... just as The Beverly Hillbillies Movie was "better" than the original TV show... just as The Underdog movie will be "better" than the cartoon 'cuz it's live-action.

Does nobody else see a trend here? :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2007, 8:32 am

Yeah, they all stink! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JEANYLASER » September 22nd, 2007, 8:15 pm

I love the thundercats because of Lion-o he is the leader.
JEANY SANCHEZ

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 22nd, 2007, 10:57 pm

Welcome, JEANYLASER! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 11th, 2007, 5:57 pm

(sorry didn't read all the posts but...) Oh noz I loved the thundercats. Why does everything always have to change. I can understand them making a new series and trying to revamp it to get others to like it but *sighs* it seems so different. And in the same style as teen titans?? I really hope they don't do that, oh how dreadful that would be (not a tt style fan >.<). Why do they have to redo it? Can't they just come up with a new idea losely based on it? Ugh I did like the redo of tmnt, I liked how they made it more like the comic books and and little darker than the original cartoons but I don't have much faith a thundercats remake will fare very well. To me it just doesn't seem like something that will do well because it will upset older fans and from the sounds of it not something kids will dig. But that is hard to say. I could be very wrong, especially since there isn't that much information out on it. Thanks for the update, but time will just have to tell what it will be like.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lonlonman » December 9th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Hoagiebot wrote:
Interesting! I think on some other board (AICN) or Animation Nation, some guy wrote how he never realized how sexy Cheetarah was as a kid!
That just goes to show you that everyone has their own personal set of tastes when it comes to what they find attractive. While I have drawn a few cheetah-girls of my own over the years, if I had to pick my favorite cheetah girl drawn by somebody else it would probably be Fred Perry's character Britanny Diggers from the Antarctic Press comic book "Gold Digger." You can see two pics of her at the fllowing links:

Cover of "Gold Digger Color Remix #1"

Page 2 of "Gold Digger Volume 2 #66"

Britanny is definitely the kind of catgirl that I like-- athletic but still soft and feminine. Cheetara just goes way too overboard on the muscles for me.

Not to contradict you friend.....but at one time...britanny was muscular....she had ripped abs and biceps that did bulged somewhat it was later on that Fred decided to tone down on her muscles a little and make her a little more on the busty side.if you have doubts...then check out the for mentioned gold digger remix#1 and see for yourself. 8)

To answer your question about cartoon updates:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo: I loved it when I was a kid, and I still think that it is pretty good now. Fred always accusing Red Herring of every single crime was a great running gag, and I thought that having Shaggy and Scooby dress up as Commander McCool and Mellow Mutt (might have gotten those superhero names wrong) was also pretty hilarious! I thought that a Pup Named Scooby Doo was a great update because the show had a lot of cute charm to it and while it went off in its own direction it kept much of the spirit of the original show.

Muppet Babies: It has been a very long time since I have seen this show, but I loved it as a kid and even used to buy the Muppet Babies comic books at the time. This show was very creative and had great writing. This show was actually entertaining to watch, unlike today's Baby Looney Tunes. In fact, Muppet Babies kicks the ever-loving crap out of Baby Looney Tunes, hands down!

Flinstone Kids: Captain Caveman was O.K., but I didn't care for the rest of the show. However the Flinstone Kids was still better than Baby Looney Tunes.

The New Archies: I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it. By the way, did I mention that I don't like Baby Looney Tunes?

Since you didn't mention this cartoon, I'll add it in-- I loved the "Real Adventures of Johnny Quest" that came out in the late 90's. I love the original Johnny Quest too (as well as Venture Bros.), but I thought that the reinvented 90's show was great in its own right. One of the villains in that show, Ezekial Rage, was just creepily awesome! His whole backstory of his family getting killed in some Central American country while he was on a CIA mission causing him to go insane was just great! You had to feel for the guy-- his family got blown into bite-sized chunks and his government abandoned him, but at the same time you had to hate him because he kept on trying to bring about the end of the world after he went psycho! A fantastic villain!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 22nd, 2010, 11:58 pm

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... discovery/

Sad news about the fate of a series writer of "Thundercats."

Things are not looking good at all...

Be very, very careful about who you invite into your personal space if circumstances force you to take on roommates!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 26th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Oh that is terrible. :(
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2010, 3:54 pm

ThunderCats...Oh!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oh no....Thundercats are now "kewl!"

Post by droosan » August 1st, 2011, 5:02 am

I very much enjoyed the premiere episode of ThunderCats .. this series is off to a great start..!

But I had to go looking for the episode on YouTube, since Cartoon Network has decided to run the show on Friday nights only .. there are no 'repeats' of any episodes scheduled during the week. :|

Meanwhile, other 'new' CN shows such as Adventure Time, Regular Show, The Looney Tunes Show and The Amazing World of Gumball (all of which I also enjoy, to varying degrees) get several repeats each, throughout the week.

Heck, even the late-great Sym-Bionic Titan got one repeat, on the weekends.

Spoilers hidden here!
As 'reboots' go, this one seems to have made most of its changes for the better..!

Re-imagining Thundera as a kingdom on Third Earth makes for a more cohesive environment .. and Mumm-Ra feels like much less of a 'tacked-on' villain than before; I love that the Eye of Thundera in the Sword of Omens has become a cursed stone which was stolen from him during antiquity.

Tygra is Lion-O's older (and better-liked!) brother .. yet, Lion-O is heir to the throne..? Something doesn't 'add-up', there. :?

The junk dealer Lion-O visits after the opening scene has some 'Ro-Bear Berbil' parts scattered around his shop. :lol: Also: yay for non-talking Snarf..! :mrgreen: Even WilyKit and WilyKat were pretty sympathetic; I look forward to them meeting-up with the rest of the ThunderCats, later.

Very cool to see that Lion-O's compassion led to one of the Lizards helping him to escape. At least the bad guys may have some shades of grey, this time around.

The destruction of Thundera -- and the fact that the ThunderCats were its only survivors -- is something that had happened prior to the first episode in the original series. Seeing it destroyed makes that aspect of the story much more powerful. :o

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 1st, 2011, 12:21 pm

Hey,

I thought there were no political ads allowed on the Boards, Droo!

You know half of us can't stand the Boopster's positions on colorization (she's for it!), anthromorphic characters, and Goofy's being allowed to own dogs (slavery in this day and age???)!

Say "NO" to Betty!

Vote Popeye... He's for a strong defense, legalized steroi-- er, "cabbage" use, and doesn't objectify flagpoles! He loves brush handles like Olive Oyle and Taylor Swift!