Charlie Brown Specials

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Charlie Brown Specials

Post by Daniel » December 29th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Fascinating reads. One of the best indeed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 5th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Video from youtube. Some newspaper and tv guide ads for cartoon tv specials like smurfs, frosty and pac-man. Some Charlie browns ads in the video.

That flashbeagle tv guide ad! 80s at it's best! Lol.

Edit--Why do the youtube links not work on this site? Here is another link if that one doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cciw-DxJ0pk
Last edited by gaastra on January 8th, 2020, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 6th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I tried quoting your message and I think I know why the embedding is not working. You have a blank space before and after the Youtube link. When I remove them the video displays as it should. Picky formatting! Give it a try. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 8th, 2020, 6:46 pm

It works! Thanks! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Awesome!

Back to the video you posted, the song it starts out with is quite beautiful. Never heard it before. It's called "Forever Young" from Carol Parks. Sounds so nostalgic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 10th, 2020, 12:02 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 10th, 2020, 3:16 am

Peanuts was huge in Japan when I lived there as a little kid, in the 1970s .. in fact, the very first time I saw It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was on japanese TV (with japanese dialogue). I also saw Snoopy Come Home and Race For Your Life, CB (both in english language) in packed movie theaters over there. Peanuts books, toys and merch were in pretty much every store, too.

I was actually pleased upon our return to the U.S. to 'discover' that we had Peanuts here, too..! :lol:

------------

I first visited the Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa (and its neighboring ice rink) about five years ago; it's an amazing place. I highly recommend the ~1-hour detour, if you're ever in the San Francisco area and have some spare time. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 10th, 2020, 4:02 am

droosan wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 3:16 am
Peanuts was huge in Japan when I lived there as a little kid, in the 1970s .. in fact, the very first time I saw It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was on japanese TV (with japanese dialogue).
FTR, "Good grief" in Japanese is "Yare yare..."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 10th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Wow. Just wow. That museum is incredible. Love the character galleries. The café looks so inviting. I would lose myself in the gift shop! There's so much attention to detail and thought. Japan again does it right.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 11th, 2020, 10:30 am

I am so going to both places--- California and Japan--- to see these museums. Bucket list items for sure. We're hoping to go to Japan in a couple of years, and Snoopy is near the top of sites to see, along with the Studio Ghibli museum and park.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 14th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Both charlie brown valentine specials are on tonight on abc!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Caught them both. "Be My Valentine" is naturally my favorite of the two. Has so much heart. Love the part when Lucy watches the "Pawpet show" and when Schroeder is telling off Violet. Finally someone standing up for ol' Chuck and he stops it! Ugh! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 20th, 2020, 5:09 am

The era of Peanuts specials on 'free' OTA broadcast television may have just come to a sudden end ..

Apple TV has just secured exclusive rights to all of the classic specials. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2020, 6:19 am

At least it looks as if they’re free to stream for non subscribers for a couple of days, if I’m reading that correctly,

But, yeah, things like traditional TV airings will become a thing of the past. Wait for Warners to start restricting their Rankin/Bass library to HBOM, and probably The Grinch to follow. Does this mean Warners' home video rights expire for Peanuts as well?

I suppose Apple had the inside track given their production on that new show, but Disney's ABC does seem to have dropped the ball by not retaining the rights they have had for a while. Simpsons *and* Peanuts on D+ would have been quite the coup.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Rats! :(

I suspected something was up when I didn't see Pumpkin on my guide. Didn't even cross my mind it would go streaming. This sucks so much. Yes, I have the DVDs but seeing these specials on TV is tradition. And especially with the year we're having, takes away a little magic...