American Dad

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 28th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Wow, wrong with the same sentence twice! It's amazing how one little word changes the whole thing. I meant just because robbing a bank is not as bad as killing someone, it's still very bad.

I think you're missing that they don't just lampoon controversial issues. They make fun of issues that are sensitive as human life to people, things that will not just offend but hurt. I already gave examples. And they disensitize us. If they can make fun of all that without wincing, it's like, well, why even care about those issues, why take them seriously, it's all funny and no big deal.

I did have a feeling that Seth did have less control of the American Dad, because the stories did seem more balanced, even religiously, and altogether less offensive than Family Guy (but like I said, bad is still bad). It really is the better show in content and how it's written, though.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: American Dad

Post by Dacey » March 29th, 2011, 3:56 pm

I know that it's cliche to say, but with "American Dad," it's always been the story that comes first, with the jokes written around it. With "Family Guy," it's the other way around, as you know that they must have a huge box of those "cutaway" gags that they're looking for ways to use.

Simply put, AD remains the most consistent show of Fox's animated shows in terms of quality. "Simpsons" has been all over the place, and some of FG's more recent eps have been really, really bad ("German Guy" just wasn't funny. At all). My only complain about AD this season is the lack of Hayley, who despite being featured in a couple of eps has almost vanished from the show. I was happy to see her & Jeff involved in a funny subplot this week, but I'm worried that she's going to fade back into the background next week. Even worse, I'm worried that the writers are going to undo her marriage to Jeff, as up until this week he hadn't been seen at all since the Christmas special.

And Dust, for the final time, just because I don't agree with you 100% on something doesn't mean that I "don't get" what you're trying to say. Everyone has their own opinion about these things, you know.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 30th, 2011, 12:37 am

The second they started the scene with Steve and his friends with the ottoman, I knew what was coming. I actually saw the original clip on Tosh.0. The things you find on the internet...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 12th, 2011, 12:21 pm

This week's B-story involving Stan and Francine pranking each other was REALLY funny. Probably one of the best of the season.

I'm also enjoying how the principal character is becoming a darker and more twisted character with every episode he's been in lately. Hopefully they won't take it "too far," but so far, so good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."