The Year Without a Santa Claus

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

The Year Without a Santa Claus

Post by Josh » December 6th, 2006, 12:53 am

For Animated News, I've been trying to find more info on NBC's live-action update of The Year Without a Santa Claus. Without much luck, I ended up trying YouTube.

You know those delightful musical numbers "Snow Miser" and "Heat Miser" from the 1974 Rankin/Bass classic? Yeah...

Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed. I've been hoping for several years that Warner Bros. would go all-out on a live-action adaptation of The Year Without a Santa Claus. In that regard, I think it might have been fun to see Jim Carrey as Snow Miser and Jack Black as Heat Miser.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 6th, 2006, 1:26 am

I was just about to suggest making this its own thread Mickey :)

As you, I'm somewhat dissapointed on many levels. Growing up with the timeless Rankin/Bass special, it's impossible to understand the feeling it bestowed in me, let alone explain.

From what I've seen, both the link and commercials, it seems very different and that doesn't mean good. Truth be told, I think you got something with suggesting Jim Carrey as Snow Miser. In fact, I could easily picture him in that role. :P

Regardless, of what I think. I'm gonna tune in and see what NBC churnes out! Whether its good or bad, remains to be unknown ;)

Btw... If worse comes to worse, 'ABC Family' will at least be airing the original classic, countless times this month :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2006, 2:15 am

LOL....isn't that the song Schwartzenegger sang in Batman and Robin while making his Henchmen watch the cartoon and sing it too?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2006, 2:16 am

LOL....isn't that the song Schwartzenegger sang in Batman and Robin while making his Henchmen watch the cartoon and sing it too? :)

Are you sure Schumaker didn't also direct this one?

And OMG, more Harvey Fierstein singing???? Haven't we suffered enough???
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 6th, 2006, 10:34 am

This was, originally, a theatrical production, if I'm correct.

And there were rumors back in 2002 that Jim Carrey would play both Heat Miser and Snow Miser (which might've been fun).

In the end, we get a straight-to-TV production that, from what I've seen, just doesn't look that good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 6th, 2006, 4:13 pm

ShyViolet wrote:LOL....isn't that the song Schwartzenegger sang in Batman and Robin while making his Henchmen watch the cartoon and sing it too? :)
You are correct Vi! :P That was actually one of the few things I liked in Batman and Robin! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Schwartzenegger (wearing some kind of bathrobe and fuzzy slippers): "C'mon, sing, sing!" (pronounced: "Siyang, siyang!")

:lol:

Funnily enough, the set design and costumes of that TV Christmas film actually reminds me of Batman and Robin for some reason....Very Schumaker-ish..... :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 7th, 2006, 5:51 am

ShyViolet wrote:Funnily enough, the set design and costumes of that TV Christmas film actually reminds me of Batman and Robin for some reason....Very Schumaker-ish..... :roll:
I thought the exact same thing. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 7th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Mickey got his name changed??? Now he's Josh? :shock:

At least you kept the avatar ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2006, 6:19 pm

I think it's his real name. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 7th, 2006, 7:24 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I think it's his real name. :)
I know silly, I meant his screename :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2006, 2:58 am

Yep, with the launch of Views, we've all switched to real names. Notice how mine changed from my nickname "Ben" to my real name, um... "Ben"? :)

Josh is "the writer formerly known as Mickey". ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 8th, 2006, 11:13 am

Gosh.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2006, 1:45 pm

No... <B>J</B>osh. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 8th, 2006, 11:37 pm

If only Daniel or Jake was my real name ;)

Btw... Tomorrow on ABC Family their airing the original Rankin/Bass special (5:00pm) along with a dozen of other specials, including The Polar Express.

8)