Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates: The Movie

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates: The Movie

Post by ShyViolet » January 4th, 2007, 5:11 am

I haven't heard of this: Has anyone here seen it?

It's very cool! TV movie of the whole Microsoft/Apple rivalry, etc...

This scene takes place in 1984, right before Steve Jobs resigns from Apple.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » January 4th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Is this with Anthony Michael Hall? I saw one with him that was a Jobs/Gates TV movie bio type thing, but that was years ago.

Was okay, but they didn't really pull out the knives in it. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 4th, 2007, 3:31 pm

Is this with Anthony Michael Hall? I saw one with him that was a Jobs/Gates TV movie bio type thing,
Yes, that's it. I didn't know about it then. I really liked what I saw above, however. :)

Yup, that's the one Uli. I happen to be a sucker for films like this--"based on a true story about media figures"--if it's interesting AND DONE WELL.

The Late Shift was kind of like that (I enjoyed it) but I think this looks much better.

They were going to make a film on Showtime called Two Blind Mikes about two years ago based on the Eisner/Ovitz thing but I wonder what happened to that? I thought it might be interesting but personally I don't find the whole drama all that enticing...there's nothing really "big" about the case IMO other than the fact that he got paid 90 million or something....big deal, it happens all the time in Hollywood. :roll: From a human level, it seems pretty dull.

I'd much rather see a film on Eisner vs. the other guy who was fired....:wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 4th, 2007, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 4th, 2007, 3:42 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I'd much rather see a film on Eisner vs. the other guy who was fired....:wink:
Now, that would be a great tv movie :lol:

Perhaps, Roy, JK?? Hmm, Vi ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 4th, 2007, 7:54 pm

It would so rule! :) I bet it could win an Emmy. :P

I personally think Aaron Eckhart is ONLY one who could play Michael Eisner--he could effortlessly go from the 80's "nice guy" Eisner to the corporate micro-manager. He would be amazing. (Just watch Thank You For Smoking if you don't believe me. :wink:)

Brian Dennehy as Roy E Disney.

James Franco as Katzenberg. (they could age him a little bit, Gary Sinese was the same age Franco is now when he played Harry Truman. Anyway if you wanted to do a biopic thing, you'd need them to start out young.)

BTW I thought both actors in Pirates of the Silicon Valley did a great job, especially Noah Wyle as Steve Jobs! That was incredible, he really pulled off Job's voice and mannerisms.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2007, 8:59 am

The Late Shift was the Leno/Letterman movie, right? If so, then Pirates Of Silicon Valley is very much like that so you'd probably enjoy it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2007, 5:36 pm

Thanks Ben. :) Also, I think the Pirates film is even more resonent and meaningful today than it was seven years ago--with the ipod, itunes, Steve Jobs' ascension into Disney, etc....Jobs' line "We're better than you are. We have better stuff." is so appropriate to what's happening now, and so is the parallel between Bill Gates' Microsoft and the "Big Brother" 1984 scenario/commercial. :?

I love films like this because they make these living-legend guys out to be complicated and 3-dimensional, which is something you almost NEVER get in the news media, not in articles OR poorly-written books.

(iSteve copies some passages word for word from The Second Coming of Steve Jobs. :roll:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » January 7th, 2007, 4:06 am

I LOVE this movie. Have a copy that I love to break out. Very interesting and informative. It came at just the right time too in between the comings of Steve Jobs as you put it above. I'd love to see a sequel though as I think the rivalry is as intensive as ever despite the fact that they've gone separate ways.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Yes, I never even knew all that, even from just that clip, I learned a lot. I love learning about computer history.

They both did a great job--were either of them nominated for an Emmy or Golden Globe or anything? Noah Wyle is a standout.

(Although I have to admit that the part when he goes: "You're stealing from us!!!!???" is kind of funny in a weird way. :P)

One thing I don't get: How come when TV movies take on "true story" type films, they're almost ALWAYS dismissed as sensationalistic, but when Hollywood movies do it they get a bunch of Oscars?? :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 5th, 2007, 3:21 am

It appears Steve Jobs recently made an appearance on SNL, in an effort to promote the iPhone.

Yes, I know that's not the real Steve Jobs. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 5th, 2007, 10:35 am

Thanks Josh! :) That was awesome! :D

Really, really funny! :lol: Especially the last part!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 5th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Glad you enjoyed the video, Vi! :)

Here is Steve's first appearance on the show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lastunicorn » February 21st, 2007, 12:20 pm

It'd be interesting to see a re-hashing of the Jobs vs. Gates movie now that Apple's been brought to a higher public consciousness thanks to the iPod and a ridiculous amount of product placement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 2:04 am

Yeah, a sequel! That would rule.....:wink:

Plus all those Apple Mac/PC ads....:) :P

(And to think, when that movie came out, the first ipod was still about four years away! :?)

It's so funny seeing Anthony Michael Hall playing Bill Gates though....on the one hand he does a great job...he plays Gates almost like a pathological sociopath bent on success...at the same time however I keep expecting him to say: "Can you describe the ruckus, Sir?"
:P :lol:

:wink: