Head of Cartoon Network resigns over ATHF bomb scare

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Head of Cartoon Network resigns over ATHF bomb scare

Post by SupremeBlisseyFan » February 9th, 2007, 4:32 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070209/ap_ ... us_devices

Jim Samples, head of Cartoon Network, has resigned following the recent incident in Boston where suspicious electronic devices turned out to be ads for the network's Adult Swim show Aqua Teen Hunger Force. A successor was not named in the internal memo announcing Samples' resignation.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 13th, 2007, 2:37 pm

Good riddance.

Wanted to wait a few days before I piped in.

The whole ATHF movie scare was paramount stupidity on the part of the guys who okayed this "genius" of marketing.

Hopefully, the next guy who heads Cartoon Network has a better notion of what the FIRST HALF of "Cartoon" Network means and programs the channel appropriately...

... not to mention more common sense regarding the law.

CN's been going downhill for quite a while now because the head guys of the network have basic contempt for classic animation and don't seem to understand it SHOULDN'T be a live-action network or a dumping ground for shows (90% of the original Flash-drawn animation of Adult Swim) that belong on YouTube, NOT television.

I don't know that CN will get better or that better management will come along and return CN to better days and better programs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 13th, 2007, 4:43 pm

CN's been going downhill for quite a while now because the head guys of the network have basic contempt for classic animation and don't seem to understand it SHOULDN'T be a live-action network or a dumping ground for shows (90% of the original Flash-drawn animation of Adult Swim) that belong on YouTube, NOT television.

I so agree George!!!! :( :!:

Especially the last bit about the YouTube-type shows!!! :x
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 15th, 2007, 3:23 pm

Adult Swim is brilliant and always has been. Have either of you two seen their new series, "Saul of the Mole Men"? It's a deliberately tacky throwback to the old Sid and Marty Krofft style adventure shows and it's pretty funny stuff. On topic, I think that Jim Samples was unfairly railroaded into resigning because the Boston officials were too stupid to comprehend that a Lite-Brite is not a bomb. To reiterate a point I made elsewhere, those things were hanging up for at least TWO WEEKS before anyone said anything, so what does that tell you? That most people have the common sense to know if something looks dangerous or not. And that's all I have to say about that.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 17th, 2007, 3:06 pm

This was one of those stories that I read in the paper, and I was like, "Wait, did this really happen? Surely, it couldn't have". But, of course, I was wrong. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."