Re: The Simpsons

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2021, 9:48 pm

So then I says to Mabel, I says... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 2nd, 2021, 10:33 pm

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 3rd, 2021, 2:07 am

Goofy already showed up in some Simpsons episode where he is the dog who goes to "the farm upstairs" in a Lady and the Tramp "parody." As he dies he says "this place is no picnic, but it sure beats working for Disney."

The episode sucked.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 3rd, 2021, 4:01 am

Technically he says that line after surviving the gas chamber. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2021, 4:08 am

He doesn’t look *too* different, though. They haven’t fuzzed with him too much. Fun that both have the same pants though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 4th, 2021, 1:14 am

Dacey wrote:
November 3rd, 2021, 2:07 am
Goofy already showed up in some Simpsons episode where he is the dog who goes to "the farm upstairs" in a Lady and the Tramp "parody." As he dies he says "this place is no picnic, but it sure beats working for Disney."

The episode sucked.
I'm guessing that was during the Simpsons circa-00's "Our enemies must be punished" phase, where they went after Mad Magazine, the Internet, and anyone else who dared say the show was unfunny, and then launched into a few dozen Disney and Disney Parks deconstructions after the Studios park turned down their idea for a 4D motion-simulator Simpsons ride.
(Better Universal than them... :roll: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 12th, 2022, 3:07 pm

This week marked the 25th anniversary of the day Poochie died on his way to his home planet! The cast and crew reflect on the legacy of "Itchy, Scratchy and Poochie", its origins, influences, and provide commentary on their feelings regarding fan entitlement and the long-lasting criticism of the series later years.

When I came across the article I saw a thread link to No Homers Club that linked to us! Sad how misinformation spreads. Reading that again just reminds me how idiotic it sounds...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 13th, 2022, 3:31 am

I have very mixed feelings about this ep…of course it’s extremely entertaining and written in the same blazingly clever style as the rest of Classic Simpsons eps were…but seriously…the number of times these writers/show runners pat themselves on the back, both here as well as on the episode’s actual commentary, is a little too often with a bit too much indignant defensiveness for my taste.

Actually when I saw it during its first airing I thought they were sort of poking fun at themselves as well as the fans (“What else is on?”) especially with “Roy”, the “new character.” They basically admit now that it was mostly their “sweet revenge” (my wording) against the fans. Animation director Steve Moore rightly points out that with all the commercials shown during an episode, (and did these writers actually forget how much this show was merchandised?) fans weren’t EXACTLY given “thousands of hours of entertainment for free.” (It becomes even more obvious when you think about how much Simpsons stuff Comic Book Guy as well as real-life fans bought, which played and still plays a quite important part of keeping the show going. “If anything, YOU owe THEM!” Uh-huh, whatever. :roll:)
So to have a show that still brings lightness and thought-provoking storylines — after 33 years we’re still culturally relevant. That is mind-boggling.
—-Nancy

Culturally relevant? I assume she never watched “That Nineties Show”, or about 65%-75% of episodes from the last twenty or so years. :?

(I know I know …I haven’t seen too many either. I think I think I’ve seen enough, though. “Kidney Trouble” and “Homer vs. Dignity” in Season 10 basically sealed the deal for me. And I did watch The Simpsons movie, both on HBO, Cinemax, and Disney + MANY MANY MANY times. So, not exactly “free.” ;).)

Also what’s kinda weird is that ISP came out the same season as “Homer’s Enemy,” hands-down THE most self-critical, self-dissecting episode in the entire series. Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder. (J/K ;))
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 14th, 2022, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 14th, 2022, 4:25 pm

Daniel wrote:
February 12th, 2022, 3:07 pm

When I came across the article I saw a thread link to No Homers Club that linked to us! Sad how misinformation spreads. Reading that again just reminds me how idiotic it sounds...
That's actually very alarming. I know it's not like we were quoted in an actual article or anything here, but I hate for us to be the "source" of anything like this.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2022, 3:23 pm

Thankfully my post is right underneath. I'm surprised no one on there pointed out the other inaccuracy I didn't correct.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 19th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Today marks the family's 35th anniversary in existence, as they made their debut on "The Tracey Ullman Show" on this date.

They haven't changed a bit, have they? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 19th, 2022, 3:10 pm

Hilarious that if that appeared like that nowadays, it wouldn’t stand a chance!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2022, 3:29 pm

Fascinating retrospective from GQ:

“The Simpsons’ second life”

https://www.gq.com/story/the-simpsons-second-life

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 24th, 2022, 3:08 pm

Although the Simpsons Movie has become a bit dated, I still very much enjoy watching certain parts. One is those awesome credits!! :). I LOVE seeing the voice actors’ names next to their characters! So great that they finally got some real recognition.

https://youtu.be/P5YesnRzCqU

“Ooh, floor popcorn!”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2022, 3:29 pm

Yes, before some of the roles were taken away because of the whole race situation. My hope is that whenever we do get a sequel, that's just ignored and characters get their original voice back. I miss Apu and don't like any of the new voices. It's so distracting and disheartening. :(