The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Simpsons

Post by ShyViolet » August 29th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Yeah, I’m very glad they stuck to their guns. Apu is an AWESOME character with so many great qualities (obviously a tech genius from the anti-immigration ep, kind and sensitive and the # 1 “eligible bachelor” of Springfield as shown in the first Manjula ep.)

After all, why else would so many women have bid on him?? ;)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 29th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Also HAD to share this classic moment!

(A character suddenly breaking into song on a TV show or movie may not seem as “completely and utterly insane” today because of the dominance of ironic humor, but in 1993, everyone was like “WHAT THE...” :shock: Lol.)

https://youtu.be/7s7YR9wS8eg

“Who needs the Quick-E-Mart?” :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 7th, 2019, 8:14 pm

I'm not really a Pop collector (thankfully), but these Treehouse variants are wicked!!

Lisa's kinda meh, the rest are fab! They nailed Fly-Bart, even broke away from the traditional eye. He's probably my favorite. Love Homer Kong with tiny Marge too .. or should I say bathing beauty? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Lol. “I covered that up pretty well!”

:P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Love your new av Dan: “Quoth the Raven: Eat my shorts!”

:P

BTW, the Halloween ep with Fly-Bart STILL scares me whenever I even think about it. (Seriously.). Some parts in the beginning are funny: “I’d be stupid not to do this!” plus ANYTHING with Frink is automatically hilarious, but when Bart’s body gets the fly head and constantly craves sugar...for some reason that really unsettles me. (Bart’s head on a tiny fly body not so much.).

The only other becoming-a-fly-craving-sugar story that’s scarier is Jeff Goldblum’s slow mutation in The Fly. “Do you always take coffee with your sugar?” That and watching him vomit on the donut... :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 14th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Yeah, kind of grosses me out when Homer kisses Fly-Bart on the head. Or the fact that Lisa would share her toothbrush with him! Eww. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 20th, 2019, 3:59 am

Daniel wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Lisa's kinda meh, the rest are fab! They nailed Fly-Bart, even broke away from the traditional eye. He's probably my favorite. Love Homer Kong with tiny Marge too .. or should I say bathing beauty? ;)
Aww, that’s cute, I like that you referred to him as “Homer Kong.” I’ve only seen him referred to as “King Homer” vis a vis the title. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 24th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Yep, think it has a nicer ring to it and sounds more recognizable. The real way just makes me think of Homer in a crown. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 7th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Wow, The Simpsons are dear to my heart and always will be, but even I wouldn’t shell out this much for twenty seasons:

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/fox-preps ... -simpsons/

I mean, imagine having to arrange for special financing just to BUY A DVD SET!!! :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 7th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Yikes! Don't these companies know any other number below 5-0-0!? :shock:

Sounds like essentially a repack of the DVDs already out, so just a pointless cash grab. But as Smithers would say, "But it has a new box!" I want it! I want it!" :lol:

Yeah, no. Very easy pass. And I say that as someone who has seen all the episodes included..! Maybe if it was for the COMPLETE series, but since the show is still going and already missing the seasons that followed, this is worthless -- more so if you already own all or some of the season sets. I'm only missing like five... Cheaper to just finish off what I have.

Besides, the artwork isn't anything to write home about. They've had much prettier art on the inside of previous sets.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2019, 5:24 pm

And then shell out again for The Complete Thirty Seasons, and then the eventual Blu-ray remasters...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Limited to 1000 units, and they may have trouble getting rid of those. I bought the first nine seasons, and only watched just over four so far (though I'd seen most episodes from the first 8 seasons when broadcast), so I don't think I need to go for this. For series with so many seasons, I prefer single-season sets anyhow; much more manageable. And with many of the seasons available at Wal-Mart for about 10 bucks, I don't see any value in having the mega-set.

Now, a HD remaster on the other hand...! Those old DVDs don't look all that great these days.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 7th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Daniel wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:10 pm
Sounds like essentially a repack of the DVDs already out, so just a pointless cash grab. But as Smithers would say, "But it has a new box!" I want it! I want it!" :lol:
Oh God I am SO like that when comes to different editions of my favorite books :oops: (say, movie tie-in version vs. original cover). Also, some editions have a new foreword or afterward, etc...but even if they only have a different cover, they just look so pretty! How can you possibly choose?? Lol. ;)

The whole DVD packaging issue kinda reminds me of when Season 6 was first released (2005 or 2006) and it wasn’t in a box but in a Homer head-shaped plastic container or something like that. Fans were SO ****** off that it wasn’t in a box (I agreed with them, actually, that Homer box was really tacky and not at all secure) that Fox released an extra set, this time in a normal box. There was even a short message to fans on the bottom, something like: “Don’t worry, boxes will be released for every season as an alternative to the character faces, with nothing different to annoy or terrify you!” Lol. :)

Here’s what the Homer packaging looked like:

https://www.amazon.com/Simpsons-Century ... B01GWDHJ98

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2019, 11:48 pm

I had that Homer head, but fans could write in for a replacement box, so I have that now instead.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 8th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Same, although I never had the heart to chuck it away. Been meaning to repurpose and hang it. It's on my to-do pile. :P