The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The Simpsons

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2020, 11:18 am

I don't think this was necessarily Disney. This has been brewing for a while, with Azaria and Groening and the rest reportedly in agreement.

While not personally offended by Apu (actually, I love Apu!), I can sympathize with those who found him offensive. After all, it's not up to me to tell someone whether or not he or she should be offended. Those of us who are white males in particular don't always realize the affect these racial caricatures can have, particularly when there are so few other examples of certain minorities in popular entertainment. I am a big believer in representation, and that representation needs to skew positive while we are still making those strides.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 20th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Yeah, I definitely understand how critics of the character feel; it couldn’t have been fun to be called “Apu” as a kid just because you were Indian—but as said earlier Apu was in many ways a very positive character. (And I think our society is much more receptive to respecting other cultures/diversity than it was 25 years ago; couldn’t we just group Apu with other movie/TV characters that are somewhat dated now but still a part of our culture in other respects?)

From what I understand, (at least from reading about the documentary) Kondabolu didn’t really want Apu removed as much as he wanted some kind of dialogue about how the character is written. Since Apu is already a multi-dimensional character, I think the makers of the show (especially Azaria himself) would have been open to Kondabolu’s input about the development of the character and the qualities Kondabolu finds offensive. I guess I just don’t understand why they couldn’t just do that instead of removing the character completely (or maybe just Azaria, it’s not really clear right now) but on the other hand I do understand that times have changed.

One more thing: (and I don’t mean to get too political) I really wish the critics of the show had done their homework on Azaria’s background. He also has Eastern/Mediterranean roots; his parents were both Sephardic Jews from Spain and Greece. Also, he grew up speaking Ladino, which is basically a combination of Spanish, Hebrew, and Arabic. So in a sense he’s already familiar with “Eastern” culture to some extent (and I realize it’s not quite the same as Indian). I don’t think this really matters THAT much, but in my opinion it should be taken into account while discussing this issue.

(Full disclosure: I’m actually Sephardic as well; Iraqi Jewish specifically. Mediterranean/Middle Eastern culture is not the same as Indian culture of course, but there quite a few parallels. So this issue’s a bit personal for me...like I said, I DO understand where Kondabolu and other critics are coming from...I just wish they would factor in other issues that in my opinion have some effect on this situation.)

Again: Not trying to get political, these are just my opinions.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 20th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Your opinions are good and valid, Vi.

Apu may still show up, though voiced by someone of true Indian heritage. I'd be fine with that. In cases where someone's ethnicity is so much a part of the character, that might be the best way to go.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2020, 3:47 am

REALLY cool interview with Al Jean!! Actually makes me want to start watching the series again (maybe ;)).

https://www.slashfilm.com/al-jean-interview/

Even a tiny nugget on another Simpsons movie: actually seems a little more certain than it did before! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2020, 5:28 am

Anyone interested in absolutely mint copies of the Season One and Two DVD box sets? I’m having a bit of a clear out of some titles I don’t need anymore, and these are available. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2020, 6:45 am

Doesn't your library take them? (I can see them not taking Season 20, but pristine 1 & 2?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2020, 11:41 am

I would take up that offer if I didn't already own them! Those were actually my first TV on DVD purchases.

If no takers maybe try out a car boot sale? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2020, 11:47 am

They’re Region 1 NTSC, so not immediately playable here for everyone, except for collectors or you guys back in the US. But I’ll shift 'em somehow. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2020, 6:18 pm

According to The Independent, The Simpsons will be remaining on Sky rather than switching to D+.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 55721.html

Although it’s unclear at the moment, apparently all Disney films, (including Pixar and MCU) will also remain on Sky until 2021.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 29th, 2020, 8:21 pm

I'll take them, Ben! I don't have them and would love them if they still need a home! :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 21st, 2020, 5:06 pm

Hilarious clip from “Bart of Darkness”!

https://youtu.be/vHyZdHl87lk

“Let us celebrate our new arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk.”

Works for me! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 22nd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Doh'eth!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 9th, 2020, 5:18 pm

New Simpsons short (starring Maggie!) to premiere on D+ TOMORROW! :)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-si ... 234575703/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 9th, 2020, 10:54 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 5:18 pm
New Simpsons short (starring Maggie!) to premiere on D+ TOMORROW! :)
It's the same short that played in theaters with Onward's opening (assuming you went out to see it two weeks before the Quarantine), and it still jars a bit with the Pixar style--
Even for a "cuddly" Maggie episode, Groening's arrogant everyone's-a-hypocritical-jerk misanthrope humor is the polar opposite of Pixar's populistic optimism and cuddly sentiments. This one really needed one of D+'s Spark shorts to get its big screen break.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2020, 3:52 pm

I don’t even know how to describe this vid...it’s just so hysterically funny. :) Let’s just say, it involves Jeff Goldblum and the Simpsons. (And no, not the episode where he guest starred as Troy Mclure’s agent.)

https://youtu.be/ZDkqJuUYBaw

(This was first posted exactly two years ago and got pulled by YouTube because apparently Bill Oakley didn’t like having his writing co-opted by Goldblum performing part of it. But then the vid got re-posted and has been there since; there hasn’t been any word from Oakley or The Simpsons producers about it, so I assume it’s ok to post.)