The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Simpsons

Post by Daniel » July 19th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Here's the poster for the episode:

Nice! :)

Feels like almost all Treehouse posters are neat. Episodes are a different matter, though my biggest complaint is they just feel too rushed...

Anyhoo, I'm curious about the "Stranger Things" parody. Haven't actually seen an episode but know enough about it. "The Shape of Water" is an interesting choice. It's not really horror per se, though it does have some horror-like elements so it could work. It's also a callback to another recent Treehouse. Don't think they've said what the Homer and Mr. Teeny one is about... you know what first came to mind? The Twilight Zone episode "Eye of The Beholder". Interesting twist if it is. Would be so cool! Its been forever since they've done Twilight. They chose a good one if so. Now they just need to do "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" with Lisa and Marge!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 19th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Awesome poster Dan, thanks for linking! :)

Yeah, IIRC they also did “To Serve Man” back in Season 2 (with James Earl Jones!) plus “It’s a good life” with Bart (who else??) in the Bill Mumy role. (Also “Clown Without Pity” from season 4 was partially based on “Living Doll” aka Talking Tina.)

Don't think they've said what the Homer and Mr. Teeny one is about... you know what first came to mind? The Twilight Zone episode "Eye of The Beholder". Interesting twist if it is. Would be so cool! Its been forever since they've done Twilight. They chose a good one if so. Now they just need to do "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" with Lisa and Marge!
Oh my God Dan that is so brilliant! . And Lisa is so perfect for Marilyn!!

“And the nicest part of all, Allison...I look just like you!”

:?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 20th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Yep, referenced oh so many times... "It's like something out of that Twilighty show about that Zone" ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Season 19 is finally getting a DVD release. Woo-hoo!

This is the first post movie season, with the exception of a few hold-overs. Has its share of good and bad episodes, one for instance... "That 90's Show". The commentary for that one should be a hoot. :lol:

One issue I had with the season overall is it had a bit too many death fake outs. When one really happened it didn't have a strong as impact as it should have. Aside from that, it contains a few of my favorites; "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind", "Apocalypse Cow" and "All About Lisa".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Speaking of The Movie...Matt Groening had something to say regarding that:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 15096.html

Also cute mini-short! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Rare short feature on The Tracy Ullman shorts. (Matt Groening is so young! :wink: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 5th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Cool. Tracey's attempt at Bart reminds me more of one of the Happy Little Elves or Itchy & Scratchy when they lost their edge. "Lemonade". ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 5th, 2019, 4:18 pm

“They share, they share...they share and love and share...love love love...share share share...the Itchy and Scratchy show.” :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 19th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Details on Olivia Coleman's character in the upcoming season. Article wrote what I was gonna say: "Sounds familiar to the Michelle Pfeiffer episode". Actually reminds me of a bunch of episodes, but Mindy came to mind first!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 23rd, 2019, 7:12 pm

Simpsons meet and greet at D23:

Pretty impressive Walt getup, even has a Mickey plush to boot!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

Daniel wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 7:12 pm
Simpsons meet and greet at D23:
Although to save time, they used the characters from Universal.
(So, is this going to be another Marvel thing all over again, at the parks?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 28th, 2019, 12:47 am

Well, it’s official: Apu is staying put.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/26 ... f-the-show

I definitely understand where those who find him offensive are coming from, but I do think it’s important to keep in mind that the entire series is a SATIRE and that everyone and everything is up for grabs in that respect. (Homer in the Malibu Stacey ep: “I’m a white male, age 18-49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!”) Law enforcement, the Education system, the news media OF COURSE (Kent Brockman says hi!), well...every single part of society.

And even with his flaws (overcharging, taking Marge to court for accidental shoplifting) Apu is in most ways AN EXTREMELY POSITIVE CHARACTER. He’s superhumanly hard-working, polite, knowledgeable, wise, and after selling Homer spoiled meat wants nothing more than to atone for what he did. And he stays true to his Indian heritage even when it would mean his deportation.

Mr. Burns: So, for once, the rich white man is in control!

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 28th, 2019, 1:05 am

One of my fave Apu moments (actually a fave series moment)
:D

https://youtu.be/ik0BPKM9WQg

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 28th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I see nothing wrong with Apu. It's a silly character on a silly show about silly things that happen. As you said, they poke fun at everyone and everything. I can't muster up any energy to be offended by The Simpsons. I haven't watched the show in ages, but I like Apu, and I'm glad they're keeping him around.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 29th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Happy to have confirmation from Mr. Groening. The whole thing really was Much Apu About Nothing. It was so blown out of proportion. The show has already lost a great deal of characters because of deaths, would've been a huge loss to lose such a memorable one mainly because of one person and one silly documentary.