The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 2nd, 2007, 6:19 pm

You have to remember though, this was under the 'Scully' era and around the same time John started sending his scripts from home; where they were, from what I've heard, re-written.

It really makes you think how this episode would've been, had it not been changed. :?

Sorry to hear this was one of the reasons you stopped watching, Vi. I probably would've too, if I didn't love it so much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 3rd, 2007, 8:38 pm

Good point Dan! :)

I wonder if the Scully regime was one of the things that made Schwartzwelder (as well as other great writers like David S Cohen and George Meyer) leave the show?

Sorry to hear this was one of the reasons you stopped watching, Vi. I probably would've too, if I didn't love it so much.
Yeah thanks Dan, it's OK, I realize that it was done when the show was in a major slump and they did recover later.

It tarnished some of what I felt for the show, but they did have some great eps after.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 5th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Old interview with Al Jean: :)

http://tv.ign.com/articles/730/730162p1.html

IGN TV: Is there a character you have particular affection for or like writing for?

Jean: I've always liked writing for Lisa and for Comic Book Guy.

IGN TV: Maybe you can do a big Lisa/Comic Book Guy adventure episode.

Jean: We should! That would be my ideal episode.

OMG this would so rule!!! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » August 5th, 2007, 11:56 pm

Granted, I think it's way past its prime and should be "put out to pasture" or shot dead like a horse with a broken leg that won't heal, but the Suits at Fox and BrooksFilms (Matt Groening, James Brooks, et al) like rollling around in all that cash like Montgomery Burns.
Agreed. The show isn't nearly as good now as it once was. The least Fox could do is let it die with dignity...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 6th, 2007, 4:03 am

Read it before, but forgot that little bit. That would indeed rule! :)
ShyViolet wrote:I wonder if the Scully regime was one of the things that made Schwartzwelder (as well as other great writers like David S Cohen and George Meyer) leave the show?
As much as I would like to say yes, I don't think its fair putting the full blaim on Scully. Wouldn't doubt it, though. ;)
ShyViolet wrote:I realize that it was done when the show was in a major slump and they did recover later.
Did you realize this on your own, or did I have any part in it? Just curious. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2007, 7:34 am

Maybe they should can the show at the next milestone and resort to just doing the movies, with more care and attention being put into those. It could be a long running series, allowing them to branch out on other TV projects.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 6th, 2007, 4:40 pm

They only have 2 seasons left before they match the record for longest-running episodic television program, currently held by Gunsmoke, which ran for 20 years (1955-1975).

Though, technically, Gunsmoke had already existed as a radio program for three years before the TV show began.

So, maybe they'll do 24 seasons of The Simpsons, just to be safe. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 7th, 2007, 4:29 am

What about the shorts from Tracy Ullman Show? Those should count for something, right? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 7th, 2007, 4:54 am

Good point; there were 3 seasons' worth of Simpsons 'shorts' on The Tracey Ullman Show .. but if all those segments were put together, they'd add up to what .. 50 minutes, if that ..? :P :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Both! :) :P

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 7th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Aww, really? Shucks. :)

Btw, season 10 comes out today!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 8th, 2007, 4:55 pm

48 minutes, to be exact. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2007, 1:28 am

I saw it today. :wink: It's only 36 dollars (off from 49) at FYE!! :)

(Guess you get what you pay for....just kidding! :P :wink:)

I'll definetlely be getting it sometime down the line.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 9th, 2007, 3:26 am

Likewise, Vi, since its not really a high priority for me; And the fact that I just got the seasons I was missing a few weeks ago! :P

But 36$? What a rip-off! Target and Best Buy have it for 30$! (Each with their own possible savings)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2007, 6:28 am

48:26 actually. You forgot the fade outs.