Bionic Woman the new Knight Rider

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bionic Woman the new Knight Rider

Post by sleepynjaded » October 10th, 2007, 6:10 pm

has anyone been watching this show? it's definitely been growing on me since the first episode. good mix of sci-fi ideas and action...

my company helped make this site for the show: http://www.bat-test.com
definitely an addicting little game. hope you get hooked!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Hey, welcome back, sleepynjaded! :)

I've only seen the pilot, but I liked what I saw. Like you said, it has a good mixture of sci-fi and action.

Neat little game, btw!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2007, 8:36 am

I think we get it here in a month or so. Michelle Ryan's a Brit girl whose been on our screens a lot here in such running dramas as EastEnders and Jekyll, so it will be interesting to see her going American.

Of course, those original Bionic series were a hoot too, and I'm looking forward to seeing if this comes off better or worse given the vintages of each incarnation.

Smallville's plugging a gap, but that ends soon so I'm hoping for a bit of a Heroes knock-off, which wouldn't be a bad thing while we await the second season of that over here.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 14th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Ben,

It's gotten fairly bad reviews... but then again, the original "Bionic Woman" series wasn't very good, either. Ratings supposedly dropped at least 25% from the pilot episode and fanboys are really ragging on the show.

I'd be surprised is this show survives a full season.

Nobody questions that the lead actress is very good-looking and has a nice faux accent that's virtually undetectable. Thing is, she hasn't demonstrated to many people in the US that she IS a good actress and the show apparently has lousy writing.

(NOTE: I haven't seen the show, but this is what I understand from what I've read. The ratings decline are indisputable.)

<SIGH>

Network programming. More of the same tired **** I could do without. Very little originality.

This is exactly why I watch mostly cable networks and avoid the Big Four+Pseudo-Network (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and the teeny-weeny CW/ex-WB/ex-UPN) as much as possible. Mainstream corporations just don't produce good product most of the time. It's the same generic, formula-driven crap that I've gotten tired of...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Is Fox a mainstream network now? It's reputation over here is still that it's not as "solid" as the "big three" initials. Much more so than the non-existent-over-here WB/UPN-now-CW, but not as mainstream as the classic three.

I've heard some not too great things in the press, but I guess she's getting the benefit of the doubt here until it starts showing at least!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 14th, 2007, 7:16 pm

GeorgeC wrote:(NOTE: I haven't seen the show, but this is what I understand from what I've read. The ratings decline are indisputable.)
Also, because "purists" think this isn't THE Jamie Summers of the 70's, and not just because the rights to the original "Six Million" book, name and characters are tied up in legal limbo at the moment.

Basically, looked like the network wanted a series about a Put-Upon Single Mom With Superpowers--
And when we already have a season filled with wishful-empowerment female superspies, male TV viewers are starting to think, "And they call us 'geeks' for watching Battlestar Galactica?? :? "

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2007, 9:16 am

Since this thread isn't burning alive with love for the new Bionic Woman, I've done a title change and added THIS:
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Meet the new Knight Rider!

"All My Children" hunk Justin Bruening is set as the lead in NBC's two-hour backdoor pilot "Knight Rider," a "Transformers"-inspired sequel to the 1980s series, which is slated to air as a movie later in the season.

Bruening will play the son of Michael Knight, the character played by David Hasselhoff in the original series. And like father, like son, the choice of Bruening closely resembles Hasselhoff's casting a quarter-century ago.

Like Bruening, Hasselhoff was a soap star ("The Young & the Restless") with few other credits when he landed "Knight Rider." He was almost the same age as Bruening, who is 28.

Bruening also follows in the footsteps of fellow "Children" alum Josh Duhamel, who made the transition from soap actor to primetime leading man as the star of NBC's "Las Vegas."

Steve Shill is set to direct and co-exec produce "Rider," which was penned by Dave Andron. Doug Liman and Dave Bartis are executive producing for Universal Media Studios and Dutch Oven Prods. Andron serves as supervising producer.

Bruening plays Jamie Martin on "Children" and also had a role on the ABC soap "One Life to Live."

Wow! Doug Liman...that could be interesting. I'm not sure I like the TFs bent though...does this mean KITT will be an implausibly giant robot? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2007, 2:52 pm

Um, yay? Didn't help. ;)

I just got tired with the show. Its good, but not my cup of tea. My mom loves it though, plus she's a fan of the original, so that's saying something...