Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 17th, 2008, 11:46 pm

I still think the Justice League Season 1 Blu-Ray set is a test.

We'll see what happens based on sales of it.

They could probably remaster the 90's Batman to Blu-Ray considering it was a cel-animated show.

Had the '92-'95 Batman not been shot on film, then it would stay standard def. Pretty sure it was at least shot on 16mm film if not 35mm.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2008, 7:39 am

My point was that common practice meant while television animation was <I>shot</I> on film (yes, usually 16mm), each sequence was transfered to video for editing, with titles and graphics added on video before final output mastering <I>to video</I>.

In the early-mid 90s, this would have been either the broadcast BetaSP format or the digital version, DigiBeta, both still standard def 525 (NTSC) or 625 (in PAL) line formats.

So...going to HD for any of these shows <I>should</I> mean going back to the original 16mm, re-cutting and mastering each program...that's quite an expense unless they factor in future HD TV screenings and maybe even possibly reframe things for widescreen.

Anyway, what I was saying is, without going back and essentially re-making these from the various elements, I didn't think the final versions of these shows, <I>as was</I>, were anything more than SD.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 18th, 2008, 8:45 am

BUT, if WB kept the 16mm or 35mm Batman '92-'95 was shot on, that still means they can do a high def transfer of it. That's better than having nothing to work from for hi-def.

Otherwise, the alternative is upscanning what's available (if at all) in a digital format. That's been done with a few Japanese shows. The problem with upscanning is that you lose detail from the standard def version. That's been talked about with the 3-4 anime series that have been upscanned. There's been so little done in hi-def digital in Japan that a lot of shows made digitally prior to the past 3 years have had to be upscanned.

This shouldn't be the case with any show was cel-animated (done non-digitally, processed on film).

Sure, money's going to have to be spent to scan film for the hi-def masters, but they're going to have to do it anyway if the films are still available and they think they can still make money off of the shows.

We'll see what happens with Batman. I don't think the show will be re-released on Blu Ray anytime soon. I think WB will stick to newer shows (Justice League and beyond) on Blu Ray and just reissue some of the older shows in Complete Series DVD editions like what's being planned for both Flintstones and Batman. Re-issues on Blu Ray are still a bit early in the game.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Titles, plot synopses and air dates for the first three episodes revealed. November 14th can't come fast enough! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 20th, 2008, 11:50 pm

"Friday, Nov. 21: "Terror on Dinosaur Island! " - Batman and Plastic Man thwart Gorilla Grodd's plot to devolve humans into primates. "

Not that they can't re-invent the wheel...but i vaguely remember a VERY similar plot from a Justice League episode...anybody? Back me up on this one?

on the other hand, i can't WAIT for this one:

"Friday, Nov. 28 :"Evil Under the Sea!" - Batman aids Aquaman as Ocean Master and Black Manta team up to assassinate him. "

Bout time they tapped into the Black Manta stories!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 21st, 2008, 12:34 am

ALL Grodd stories involve turning humans into primates, don't they? ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 21st, 2008, 12:45 am

Pretty much.

Does he really do anything else? :wink:

I am surprised, though, that it's a Batman/Plastic Man team-up instead of a Batman/Flash team-up.

Grodd is a Flash villain.

The series will at least by interesting to look at.

I pretty much hated everything about the last Batman series starting with the writing and ending with the character designs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 21st, 2008, 6:02 pm

Are you referring to the Batman/Superman series? I wasn't a fan at first but certain characters really grew on me and others i found to be an improvement on the original Batman TAS. For example, the noose-around-the-neck Scarecrow was quite possibly one of the best changes, IMHO.

Penguin on the other hand...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2008, 6:04 pm

Think George was referring to "The Batman", an apparently kid-ccentric version of the character that actually turned out to be quite violent given the few episodes I saw. However, it fell between the stools and didn't please kids or adults, despite a few seasons, it seems.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 21st, 2008, 6:05 pm

I'm pretty sure George meant The Batman, can't say I don't agree.

I was actually OK with Penguin, Stego, it was Joker that really bothered me. Thank goodness that was changed for the Batman Beyond movie!

Edit, curse you Ben! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 21st, 2008, 6:13 pm

Ahh yes...i completely forgot about "The Batman", 'prolly cuz i really didn't bother to watch it more than a few times.

As for the Joker redesign, Daniel, that was one of the changes that eventually grew on me, but i completely agree that the version that ended up in the "Return of the Joker" and Justice League was by far the best incarnation from that period.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 23rd, 2008, 12:03 am

Character models for Batman: The Brave and the Bold are up here -

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

All I can say is NNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCEEEE! Me like!

The only one that's kind of weird is Red Tornado. Why the aluminum shoulder pads? Guess I shouldn't be complaining. This will be the first time that Red Tornado and (a) Blue Beetle will be animated.

As to the last posts, the Batman show I DIDN'T like was The Batman.

I can't emphasize how bad I thought that show was, top to bottom. I'll leave it at that.

As to my favorite Batman, it's still the 1992-1995 Batman animated series with Batman: Mask of the Phantasm still being my favorite all-time Batman movie, animated OR live-action.

I didn't like the 1997-1999 Batman animated follow-up as much in spite of excellent episodes like "Old Wounds," "Over The Edge," and "Mad Love." I had problems with the darkened focus of the writing (Batman became the Frank Millerized jerk he's been since 1986!!), the fact that the show practically became "freak of the week" as opposed to hard-boiled crime-fighting, and had problems with the character redesigns. Everything was too dark and desaturated of color! Way too many black-and-grey character designs. I also didn't care for the Joker redesign because it made his eyes look too much like a Jawa's and the red lips disappeared. Thankfully, the Joker was redesigned for the Batman Beyond movie and Justice League.

Still, even the 1997-1999 Batman animated Joker wasn't as bad as the Rastafarian(!) Joker design used for The Batman.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 23rd, 2008, 1:03 am

GeorgeC wrote:This will be the first time that Red Tornado and (a) Blue Beetle will be animated.

As to my favorite Batman, it's still the 1992-1995 Batman animated series with Batman: Mask of the Phantasm still being my favorite all-time Batman movie, animated OR live-action.

I didn't like the 1997-1999 Batman animated follow-up as much in spite of excellent episodes like "Old Wounds," "Over The Edge," and "Mad Love." I had problems with the darkened focus of the writing (Batman became the Frank Millerized jerk he's been since 1986!!), the fact that the show practically became "freak of the week" as opposed to hard-boiled crime-fighting, and had problems with the character redesigns.
George, did you not see Red Tornado in Justice League Unlimited?

I agree, MotP definitely set the bar for bat-flicks.

You're right about those episodes ("Over the Edge" remains a personal fav) and the lack of crime-fighting. I was never really able to put my finger on it, but i think "freak of the week" describes it best! I didn't have any issues with the darkness of the show, though i must say the original series did seem to have an excellent balance throughout that was not recaptured later.

I found that despite what was lacking, they did an excellent job of experimenting with combining characters ("Girl's Nite" and "Holiday Knights") and twisting the existing stories making for some memorable moments i.e. Clayface's "daughter" in "Growing Pains."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 23rd, 2008, 12:58 pm

D'Oh! Forgot Reddy was in Justice League Unlimited!

He only appeared in 2 or 3 episodes and was never a major focus, though. The character only talked in one episode, too.

I know he was in the episode where Circe turned Wonder Woman into Wonder Pig and also fought off a half-dozen "Samurai" clones in another episode. Very powerful character, but definitely underused in the DC Universe for over 20 years. He's the closest thing DC has to The Vision.

Plastic Man did get mentioned in an episode of JLU (Elongated Man complained about him duplicating HIS powers) but was never shown on-screen. The rights for Plastic Man were tied up because of a development deal for a new animated series that never progressed past a pilot that's occasionally leaked on YouTube.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 23rd, 2008, 11:51 pm

You're right about how underused he was. As i recall he had a very mechanical sounding voice (i assume he's a robot?). If memory serves, he attempted to fight off The Android and got a whuppin'...but then again, so did everyone else. i don't know much about him since my DC comic reading was more or less limited to Batman, Aquaman, The Ray (who made a brief appearance in JLU), Hawkman, Flash, Impulse, and a few random issues of Green Lantern and Supes.

Yeah, i loved that Elongated Man/Plastic Man reference...very funny.
I didn't know that there was a Plastic Man pilot!! *runs off to go find it*

Be back later!!

<<EDIT>>

Ok, that really riffs my spiffs.
Apparantly, the pilot has been pulled due to copyright-legal-rights-something-mfufu-hummina-hummina-blah-blah.

Oh well.