Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

"Clone Wars" Coming to Theaters

Post by Dacey » February 12th, 2008, 2:29 pm

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41853

I'm not sure how I feel about this. As a big Clone Wars fan, I can say that I'm excited about seeing this on the big screen, but will the animation be good enough for that? Time will tell, I guess.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 12th, 2008, 3:15 pm

It's not the Tartovsky "Dexter's Clone War" from the last series--
This time, it's going for more of a videogame look from the Avatar director...Good enough for the bigscreen promote, but expect it to be more of a vacation matinee.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Why does Anakin look like a Thunderbird (or maybe Team America for you young'uns) puppet?

Ugh... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 13th, 2008, 12:20 am

Omg, he does... That's scary. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 13th, 2008, 1:00 am

Yes he does, the backgrounds and vehicle animations look awesome but as with most CGI-series, the human characters need some work.

Exactly the reason why I don't think this will look that good on the big screen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 13th, 2008, 1:36 pm

The images we got in were HUGE hi-def ones. Even then, being able to go right in on the characters, Anakin came off as soft looking.

I don't think this is going to look a lot better than, say, Happily N'Ever After, when it comes to animation technique.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 13th, 2008, 2:25 pm

It's going to be too bad if the animation isn't good. I was hoping that this would be on-par with "TMNT" when it came to visuals.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 13th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Yeah, I'd say we were looking about that level, pretty much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » February 15th, 2008, 3:55 pm

The big question is, will it be better than the prequels?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 16th, 2008, 12:34 pm

No.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm

It won't matter if it's any good. It'll make money just because it's Star Wars. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I didn't think the prequels were that bad (I must be one of the only people on the planet who doesn't loathe Phantom Menace) but then the original trilogy was so good and so legendary that I don't think anything Lucas did could have possibly lived up to peoples expectations. Critically speaking, the prequels were doomed from the get go. Lucas has said that he wants the CGI Clone Wars to go to 100 episodes and I don't see how that's going to work unless they do an extremely serialized story ala Dragonball Z (where one battle can take ten or more episodes to show, the Frieza fight being the most extreme example at about 30 episodes). Still, being the Star Wars nut that I am, it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 16th, 2008, 3:52 pm

You're not alone about PM, Eddie. I actually like the film. True, it doesn't quite feel like a movie from the original trilogy, but I'm okay with that. Still, I can understand why some people hate it.

And I actually think that releasing "Clone Wars" to theaters may be a risky move. So far, SW is a flopless franchise at the box office. If this one tanks, it could give the TV series an early death, depending on how things go.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2008, 6:45 am

The two spin-off Ewok films also got limited theatrical issues, and I don't think that harmed their later TV, video or animated series fortunes.

:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 17th, 2008, 11:57 am

The ewoks had *two* films? I thought they only had one!

Stupid ewoks...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Yah, stupid Ewoks! :)

"Caravan Of Courage" and "The Battle For Endor": Fox put them out in a handy double bill DVD when the Ep III hype was at its worst, though they are TV-fullframe only (actually shot open matte, masked top and bottom in theaters).

They're pretty cranky old films...the better of the two is probably "Endor"...