Looney Tunes Golden/Platinum Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Classic looney tunes return to cartoon network

Post by gaastra » November 4th, 2009, 3:14 pm

Cartoon network will bring back looney tunes in a super chunk block then they will air the next day as well.

Johhny bravo and justice league unlimited returns as well.

From toonzone

Sunday, November 15
1:00 PM Looney Tunes
2:00 PM Looney Tunes
3:00 PM Looney Tunes
4:00 PM Looney Tunes
5:00 PM Looney Tunes
6:00 PM Looney Tunes

Monday, November 16
11:00 am Looney Tunes

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 4th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Good to hear! Hopefully this will lead to more regular airings.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Return of Looney Tunes

Post by EricJ » January 12th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Looks like Warner wasn't kidding when they said their new non-Golden Bugs and Daffy collections would be "all-new" previously unreleased shorts, if only on single-disk releases:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-B ... tars/13202

Although the pickings might be getting slimmer, now that we're into the late-50's and Taz cartoons...
Darn, and I'd thought the reason they were going into a new format was to leave it open for day/date Blu releases! :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 12th, 2010, 1:12 pm

On the plus side: Wow! Classy cover art..! :o

I hated the 'airbrushed'/off-model LTGC covers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 12th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Sadly, I have yet to get any of the LTGC dvds. I've been waiting for the price to come down and it hasn't quite come down far enough (i.e. $25-30 instead of 40 or 50). Should be able to get these, though.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 12th, 2010, 8:40 pm

What?

You didn't get the memo about the fireside sale at Big Lots on the Golden Age of Looney Tunes Collections?

Nice to see the Looney Tunes continue on home video in just about any way.

Just hoping these shorts didn't get edited or left off like some of the Tom & Jerry shorts did.

Honestly, I'm not so sure I'll miss most of the extras from the LT boxed sets.

I'd rather have more films or see alternate cuts/deleted scenes than listen to a bunch of middle-aged farts talk about 50-70 year-old films.

(I'm getting close to their age but am glad I still realize these are cartoons. They're made to be enjoyed, not over-analyzed and critiqued to death the way some of these guys do when they watch and talk about them. The online animation fan scene tends to idolize these guys a bit too much...)

There looks like there are actually some good films on these single releases!

I just hope we get more than 2 of them a year...

I just hope they don't dip too far into the 1960s. That's when WB Animation got really bad!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Very basic art, but nice and retro feeling. The muted color does indeed give these an "archive" feel.

A shame that there isn't some kind of "collectors" pack with both in and maybe a single "new" extra (which could be a vault rarity for example) but at least we get a few more Looney Tunes on disc, and new to DVD too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Ghostbuster Man » February 22nd, 2010, 1:03 pm

WOO HOO!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Looney Tunes..the Original Family Guy?

Post by LotsoA113 » August 1st, 2010, 9:50 am

Watching Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1 last night was quite a sensation. Watching such wonderful cartoons asDuck Seasoning (Pronoun trouble!) and Ballot Box Bunny. That aformentioned cartoon however, ended on a joke about Russian Roullete AKA Suicide. I began to wonder something..with it's celebrity appearences, riffs on political topics and jokes geared at adults (a mouse in Water Water Every Hare quiting whiskey), is Looney Tunes a possible inspiration for Family Guy?

Family Guy is, obviously, the polar opposite of Looney Tunes when it comes to gross out humour (Family Guy rolls in toilet humour, while Looney Tunes never goes into that territory) But both seem feature similar humour, making me wonder if Seth MacFarlane meant for Family Guy to have a similar warped sense of humour towards Looney Tunes. for example, Looney Tunes features Wile e. Coyote getting beat up b Road Runner and his own inventions each cartoon. in most episodes ,Peter Griffen is brutalized by a talking chicken.Both feature long chases and escalation towards a final, very hyped finale confrontation. However, Family Guy adds more violence and blood to the proceddings. So I'm just wondering..is Family Guy a similar descendant of Looney Tunes? Or am I a maroon?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 1st, 2010, 10:16 am

Was Loony Tunes an inspiration for Family Guy? Someone partially I guess, as I imagine most modern cartoons have Loony Tunes as one of their inspirations.

Is Family Guy a descendant of Loony Tunes? Uhhh no, not at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Looney Tunes..the Original Family Guy?

Post by EricJ » August 5th, 2010, 2:54 am

LotsoA113 wrote: So I'm just wondering..is Family Guy a similar descendant of Looney Tunes? Or am I a maroon?
B: You are a maroon. And what a. :P

I'm seriously bordering on a full Eric Cartman right now ("Dude! You compare LT to Family Guy again, and I will kill you where you stand!"), but it's only someone naive enough to like FG that wishfully dreams they must be "creatively exploring" "edgy, risk-taking gags", "to challenge the limits of humor in our society", etc.
One fan on another board, however, tried to tease non-fans by saying "Family Guy is the legacy of our ADD generation", and boy, did Dr. Science nail it: FG could be studied in medical school to teach the long-term grownup psychological symptoms of Life With ADD--Shortattentionspans resultinginburstsof spedupstaccatodialogue (geez, like, don'tcha hate it when all those other people keep talking at you, and you're not interested anyway?), a hostility with social interaction creating the search for "hammer" shock-fodder and more gags about characters getting hit with quick violence and falling over, characters vicariously piling insults on strangers, and a neurotic fear of letting three or four lines go by without the emotion-free "safety" of a "shared" 70's-80's pop-culture reference. (Usually wandering off into a complete non-sequitir parody scene in mid-conversation.)
And if there is a reason it attracts the loving, almost religious, "cult" that it does, that probably because its fellow socially-dysfunctional sufferers need a medical support group to call their own little world, a safe haven where everyone understands that Star Wars and Gary Coleman jokes are more interesting than boring old human beings: Medically speaking, FG is literally Looney Toons, and unfortunately the wrong kind.

The difference being, the Warner folks had to play mainstream grownup theater audiences who had paid to see Humphrey Bogart or Bette Davis pictures, and had to keep their humor similar to what was in movies or old-radio at the time. (Also having to create the Private Snafu cartoons for servicemen who weren't in the mood for Mickey Mouse certainly aided Warner's evolution away from Disney.)
And it's nothing like the demands of a mainstream audience to keep your mind on your craft--The Termite Terrace folks may have done "whatever they wanted" under Leon Schlesinger's non-management, but at least they had a sane, rational grasp about what was funny for its day.
(Except for Friz Freleng, of course, who thought shooting-self gags were funny...But he was a jerk anyway.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2010, 7:01 am

Whoa...too much stream-of-unconsciousness text to bother with there.

But...in short...almost every animated show on television nowadays is a descendant of Looney Tunes. And before that, there were the caricatured cartoons in the newspapers, which lampooned popular and important figures.

LT did way more than "just" spoof on the big WB stars of the day: literary angles, plays on song titles and radio offerings, the news, etc, all played into the LT make-up, just like The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, etc, today.

The main thing to remember is that the people making these shows today were raised on the cartoons of yesterday. It's as simple as that, so of course those influences are going to be there. But I don't think there is a modern day "substitute" for what the WB cartoons used to do; it's evolved and become it's own thing, and is more rooted in good old-fashioned satire than anything else.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » August 6th, 2010, 9:13 am

Eric, I DON'T like Family Guy. It's humour rubs me the wrong way. I was only wondering if perhaps FG had influence from the LT gang. Just a topic to discuss. That's what you do here Eric, not lambast every person who thinks differently from you! :x
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 6th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Eric obviously doesn't "get" Family Guy. The entire point of the show is to see just how far they can push the boundries and just how much they can get away with before the executives step in and say "No, you can't do that". Personally, I'm amazed the show has gotten away with as much as it has. I'm waiting to see what they do with the big screen Family Guy movie that's been talked about. Will they focus more on plot and potentially restrain themselves to get a PG13, or will they pull a South Park and try intentionally to get an R? Time will tell, but I'm betting on the latter.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 6th, 2010, 10:56 pm

There is no way that Fox would send a "Family Guy" movie to theaters with an R rating.

You can quote me on that later if I'm wrong. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."