Looney Tunes Golden/Platinum Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 7th, 2007, 11:40 pm

It looks great to me... more Porkys, lots of Clampett, earlier cartoons, even some TV specials. Definitely a must-get, even though I have all the Golden Age LD sets (and yes, there were five; the fifth was pretty well all non-ongoing character ones, meaning most of those won't be seen on DVD for a while).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2007, 8:40 am

I included a link to the TVSODVD page on Monday's Tooning In, along with my own thoughts on the extras.

Merging to our LTGC thread... :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 14th, 2007, 7:30 pm

I'll be honest about another thing that I don't like about the Looney Tunes Golden Collections (in addition to DVNR, the haphazard, non-chronological arrangement of the shorts, and the slow pace of the releases!) --

I hate the fact that great documentaries like Bugs Bunny Superstar are being cut up and spread out over multiple discs. What's the matter with just keeping the documentary feature/extra on one disc and allowing it to be presented the way it was originally seen?

I'm still shaking my head on that one. I'm glad I still have a laserdisc copy of Bugs Bunny Superstar and the earlier DVD release of Chuck Jones: Extremes and Inbetweens.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 14th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I agree. But of course, the Superstar LD is spread across two sides too! At least you don't have to get up to flip it if you have a player capable of playing both sides.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 17th, 2007, 1:27 am

Yup, one of the few flaws I don't like much either, but it doesn't really bother me; I just care about the cartoons! :)

Also, here's a high resolution pic of the front, rear and a sneak peak of the discs!

Thoughts; this might actually be my favorite cover art yet. And from what I can see of the discs, they look good!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 25th, 2007, 9:32 pm

This was just brought to my attention, and thought everyone would be interested:
According to this post from TV Shows on DVD wrote:For those who didn't know, Warner Bros. has quietly issued a replacement disk for Looney Tunes gold collection set 2, disk 4. The original problem with this disk was that a number of the shorts were interlaced.

If you're interested in a replacement, please contact Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937 so that a self-addressed stamped envelope can be sent to you for return of your current disc. Please note that the replacement disc will be sent to you in approximately 2-4 weeks.
So there you go; after 2 years or so, WB is finally issueing replacements for disc 4 of "Looney Tunes: Golden Collection, Volume 2"! Good to hear, since I've seen the whole disc, and thought the interlaced shorts looked a little ugly.

The comments I've read, suggest that with the return envelope, you get the 'correct' disc, too. Very convenient, if you ask me! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2007, 8:53 am

Thanks Dan! I'll be sure to mention this on the front page and get my own request in too! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 27th, 2007, 2:51 am

Cool. Hopefully it works for you, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 28th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Here's the official press release. :)

Edit: here's a little info from Jerry Beck. That Daffy pic looks stunning!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2007, 3:34 am

Just as a reminder, Volume 5 comes out this week! As far as sales go, Best Buy is the only one I'm aware of and the price there is $44.99. Fair, but could've been a tad cheaper, since it is its first week out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 30th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Daniel wrote:Here's the official press release. :)

Edit: here's a little info from Jerry Beck. That Daffy pic looks stunning!
And from "A Pest in the House"...
Me, I'm just glad we're finally getting the full, uncut "Bugs Bonnets", without at least half the entire cartoon lost to assorted Saturday-morning cuts over the many years.
(And "Bewitched Bunny", which had an even sillier reason for being banned from Turner.) :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 30th, 2007, 3:58 pm

We've requested this from WB, but they're still getting over their affiliate switchovers and delivering discs sometimes a week after street date. I'll hold off ordering for a few days just in case, but I'm itching to do my Amazon thang!

They also have it for $44 - not bad when that's nearly $20 off list, Dan! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 30th, 2007, 10:30 pm

$44.99 at Best Buy this week only...

Might be a buck or two cheaper at Wal-Mart, but they're not guaranteed to have it in stock and DON'T give me credit for purchases towards $10 coupon awards.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 14th, 2007, 4:44 am

Fyi, Amazon has Volumes 1-4 on sale for $28.49! Good savings, so I picked up V3 & 4. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2007, 7:11 am

Groovy!