Looney Tunes Golden/Platinum Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 11th, 2008, 12:41 am

I suspect we'll see further releases done as character-specific single or two-disc sets.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 11th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Although WB will continue support for new to video Looney Tunes, I'm still a little saddened by this news. :( I was hoping they would continue with the "Golden Collection" 'seal' until every cartoon was released. Who knows, maybe these plans will be great... but we'll see.

That cover art is pretty meh, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 11th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Daniel wrote:Although WB will continue support for new to video Looney Tunes, I'm still a little saddened by this news. :( I was hoping they would continue with the "Golden Collection" 'seal' until every cartoon was released. Who knows, maybe these plans will be great... but we'll see.
I did tend to notice that we get one-count-em-ONE Bugs toon on this set, while there are others still neglected.
(Refresh memory, did we ever get "Hot Cross Bunny", either?--"Tough audience, not like St. Joe...")

The change of label could theoretically be an above-mentioned move to small 2-disk Premiere theme minisets semi-annually, and start (hopehopehope) a day-date Blu schedule, without cutting their SD audience by repeating material--And then bringing in classic Golden rerun titles once the series goes completely BD.
But that's just me armchairing...If it was up to me, they'd have kept their Hanna Barbera sets going.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 31st, 2008, 2:55 pm

A complete list of bonus material, plus the 15 bonus cartoons revealed... no "censored 11" shorts, I'm afraid. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 31st, 2008, 3:07 pm

I can see weird 60's death-of-WB shorts like "Wild Wild World" and "Bartholomew vs. the Wheel" being off-menu "bonus" shorts, but "Rabbit Rampage"?? :?
(C'mon, they've got few enough Bugs titles as it is!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 3rd, 2008, 12:53 am

Totally Eric!

Also, here's the rear box art and a better look at the front cover. From what we can see, I like the disc art.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 3:53 pm

Darn it!

I saw a pretty nice looking Censored 11 disc at the Comic-Con. Granted it was a bootleg and I have most of them anyway, but I was hoping for the chance to grab these officially and the mystery over the bonuses on this edition seemed to point in that direction.

However, we can confirm that the Looneys will continue on DVD from WHV, though even they are unsure of the next move the series will take.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 3rd, 2008, 5:56 pm

The censored 11 may make a nice release of their own in a year or two? Here's hoping!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 3rd, 2008, 7:01 pm

Now that would be a great set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

John K wants to bring back Looney Tunes in new show

Post by gaastra » September 10th, 2008, 3:13 pm

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2008/08/wb-pitch.html

John K wants to do a remake of the bugs bunny show with new bumpers between the classic cartoons. He is trying to get WB to put looney tunes back on tv.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2008, 3:23 pm

And then he's about to find out why they're NOT.

And if he wants to do some "tribute" to the 60's Saturday morning bumpers, we've got those on disk, too.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 10th, 2008, 9:45 pm

I doubt WB will ever give John K the Keys to the Kingdom -- frankly he's dissed too many of the kind of people that he'd have to report to. John K makes a regular living of shooting himself in the foot whenever he opens up his mouth. He's his own worst enemy.

His designs also clash with the original cartoons.

Part of the problem with doing bumpers/interstitial segments for cartoons is that they're going to be a completely different style than the original shorts. Different people of different generations are not going to draw things the exact same way. Even when Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng were doing animated interstitials for the LT compilation films, the interstitials were almost always inferior animation to the original LT shorts. By that time, the drawing styles of Jones, Freleng, and their crews were vastly different than what had been done 30- and 40-years ago. The bumpers if done John K's way -- which is more of a limited animation design sense -- would look like eyesores to many classic LT fans.

The John K designs also look overly spastic and there's no subtlety to them.

That might be fine for Ren & Stimpy, but Looney Tunes are an entirely different in-house style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Also, JohnK could sell "new-style" retro-snotty versions of Flintstones and Hanna-Barbera to Cartoon Network, because CN had rage issues--

The rest of Warner doesn't...In fact, they revere the Looneys as one of their major cash-cow anchors, if perhaps a little too demographically cross-market to update their image.
(But then, "Loonatics" was supposed to be a show that we were supposed to like on demographic value. It's a safe guess that lesson has been felt at the studio.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Santar » September 17th, 2008, 3:17 am

Am I the only one who thinks those new "designs" on the Looney Tunes looks absolutely horrible? Hopefullt this will never come to pass.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 17th, 2008, 4:04 pm

One look at the John K. "tribute" designs, and I keep picturing the caricature-Bugs from "Rabbit Rampage" saying "Continue to draw me like 'DIS, buddy, and we'll both be outta woik!" ;)

(And what is John K.'s Nuremberg defense?....Yyyyyep:
"Tortoise Wins By a Hare". By Bob Clampett. The man John K. thinks directed every Looney in existence.)