Looney Tunes Golden/Platinum Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 19th, 2008, 3:04 pm

John K. is funny. When he gets something right he gets it really right. When he gets something wrong he gets it really wrong. Very nice guy in person.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2008, 10:45 am

I just love his enthusiasm on the LT DVD commentaries he does.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Hey guys, just a reminder tomorrow sees the release of Vol. 6! Not sure if I can get it tomorrow, but I'm gonna try. Best Buy seems to have the best deal again, offering a free Exclusive Guide Book. Hopefully it's something real cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 21st, 2008, 3:30 pm

The exclusive at Best Buy is a pocket-sized edition of Jerry Beck's Looney Tunes: The Ultimate Visual Guide. Boo, I already have the real version of the book. Now that I'm not tempted, I'll wait for a sale.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2008, 3:55 pm

The publishers of JB's guide books seem to be well into these at the moment...the Pink Panther one coming in the big box set next year is likely to be very much the same thing.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 18th, 2008, 1:12 am

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 18th, 2008, 4:49 am

Ben wrote:Darn it!

I saw a pretty nice looking Censored 11 disc at the Comic-Con. Granted it was a bootleg and I have most of them anyway, but I was hoping for the chance to grab these officially and the mystery over the bonuses on this edition seemed to point in that direction.

However, we can confirm that the Looneys will continue on DVD from WHV, though even they are unsure of the next move the series will take.

Barring "Coal Black," the Censored 11 are pretty much terrible cartoons. That goes without talking about the racial caricatures and stereotypical behavior!

("Rabbit Stew" at least is available on some cheap $1 public domain DVDs.)

Hardly the best works of the involved animators and directors.

Now, the World War II stuff is different! I kind of like over-the-top propaganda films mixed in with traditional cartoon violence. "Blitz Wolf," "Commando Daffy," "Hare Meets Herr," and "Russian Rhapsody" are all great shorts. Except for the stupid swastikas and one bit of racial signage in "Blitz Wolf" (which was wiped on its last airing on Cartoon Network), there's really almost no reason these shorts can't be shown on TV.

Blame it all on political(ly idiotic) correctness!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2008, 9:25 am

Y'know, a great set from WB, like the Oscar Collection, would collect all their propaganda (MGM, WB, Fleischer and any RKO cartoons) with the Censored 11 and other near the knuckle shorts, for a real adult's collector's set.

I've seen all but one of the 11, and agree they're not all great, but I wouldn't call them bad and to have them in official form would be fab.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 18th, 2008, 8:44 pm

That idea for a set.... would be awesome.

I do have the Censored 11 here at the Cyrennery, and have an article about them on my hard drive. Maybe I should post it at AV. While a couple of the cartoons don't stand up all that well, there are some really interesting ones, too. Even aside from gawking at racial stereotypes, there is some good animation and jazzy music to be found.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2008, 9:17 pm

The............................ "Cyrennery"...?

I really wished I'd picked up what looked like one of the better collections at the Con this year, but was still holding out hoping the rumor of the unannounced 15 cartoons in the final Golden Collection would bring hope.

Yeah, I'd go with that appraisal of the 11. Time to dust that article down, maybe for a Christmas special? :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 18th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Now Ben,

Sometimes we have to bend the rules and GET the bootleg!

(Best not to talk about it, though. Bootleg? What bootleg? Definitely don't put THAT disc on your tax returns form! :lol: )

Remember about enjoying life in another post?

Sometimes you're going to wait a LONG time for that official release...

If it ever comes!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2008, 8:23 am

I happen to know it <I>is</I> being talked about... ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 19th, 2008, 11:44 am

Talked about is one thing...

Actually getting it done, that's another!

It's been close to 20 years now that the "Censored Eleven" has been talked about in BBS groups and the infamous UseNet animation groups.

(I know this because I started surfing the Internet in 1995/1996 and this WAS a topic of discussion then!)

Far more people have learned about these films through the Internet than any other source. Far more people have downloaded these films from the Net than have seen them in "History of Animation" classes. Aside from "Coal Black," they just don't get aired anywhere else in public regularly.

This is still a politically charged topic as it were, animated or not, and there are people in power who would rather not deal with protest groups at all even if we're talking only a few dedicated nuts and the usual demagogue groups (aka "progressive" civil rights groups) that demand "reparations" (aka legalized bribes) to keep quiet and go away.

Everybody knows that films like Song of the South would move many, many legalized copies just for the sheer fact that the film hasn't been available on authorized video for a long time. Again, it's that fear of any kind of controversy with a family label that causes the people who control the release of these films to keep them out of circulation.

You can already get ANY and ALL of these films online through certain websites and torrents.

The fact that a Black man has been elected President of the US probably won't make it easier for these films to get released anytime soon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 19th, 2008, 10:25 pm

On the contrary, my sense is that Obama's election gave many people (especially young people) the idea that Americans could maybe FINALLY put the race issue to rest (relatively speaking). Not to say that attitudes change overnight, but I think the college students celebrating on the steets on election night were doing so for three reasons: 1) no more Bush, 2) they genuinely like Obama, and 3) maybe they could get over the race thing already. I mean, Dr. King was undoubtedly a great and important man, but it's sad that after *40 years* he was still one of the most relevant faces of the civil rights movement. Hopefuilly, Obama will be the figure for an era where race simply doesn't matter so much, though naturally things take time.

It just feels like there's an evolution happening, that's picked up speed considerably since the election.

Of course, not being American myself (though I lived there for a few years), this is only an outsider's perspective, and maybe with some wishful thinking thrown in. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 20th, 2008, 2:02 am

That's wishful thinking.

The political process is what it is irregardless of the guy's race. I could care less about the guy's ethnicity. Like any politician, I'm concerned about his ideas and plans, many of which I think are overly optimistic and just unworkable in the current economic climate. 'Nuff said on that subject.

No more talking on politics because I feel like I'm getting into a family row when I get too long on that stuff...

Uh-uh.

Obama getting elected does nothing about the politically correct mentality of academia and many individuals that control media.

It'll be a while before MANY suppressed films and other programs get released officially, if ever.

I don't see a complete set of Amos and Andy getting released any time soon.

I'm amazed that anybody had the balls to release complete Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto sets on DVD but considering the characters are NOT overly negative stereotypes (they're both bright, intelligent detectives in the mold of an Asian Sherlock Holmes -- the main argument against them is that white guys played them in bad makeup! The accents are typical of guys whose first language ISN'T English), I guess the studios felt they could take that chance.