Looney Tunes Golden/Platinum Collections

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2008, 10:45 pm

Josh wrote:The first five Looney Tunes: Golden Collection volumes are currently on sale for $25.99 - 60% off of the regular price!
Thanks Josh. Got Volume 5, the only one I was missing aside from Volume 6.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

looney tunes to air on CN all day!

Post by gaastra » December 19th, 2008, 2:25 pm

http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/serv ... oney+Tunes

New years will see the return of the classic looney tunes in a all day showing of classic cartoons!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 19th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Wow, this is unexpected. YAY! I doubt they'll stay after the marathon, though. Would be nice, but yeah...

Now to juggle all the New Years marathons. So far Looney Tunes of course, I Love Lucy on TV Land (Gasp, not Extreme Makeover: Home Edition!?), The Twilight Zone on Sci-Fi, and a few more. The Loony's being more rare for TV, I think the majority of my watching will be CN. - something you don't hear very often. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 19th, 2008, 3:11 pm

And at this point, it's now the ANNUAL showing of LT on CN, in more ways than one... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 25th, 2008, 9:22 am

Update.

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/sho ... hp?t=12362

Here's the complete list of cartoons airing.

Also they found out this is a try-out to see if kids will like looney tunes.

If the ratings are good then they will reair them. If the ratings are bad you'll never see looney tunes on cartoon network again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 25th, 2008, 10:34 am

This is most certainly something I will be tuning into that day! Hope the ratings are good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 25th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Holy smokes this is worthy a day spend to watch classics....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 12th, 2009, 3:28 pm

For anyone interested, The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie is getting its own DVD release on April 28, 2009. Here's the cover:

Not bad, it's more or less like the VHS cover. Now with this, Fantastic Island doesn't seem so out of reach. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 12th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Big pass on the LT compilation movies.

I never cared for the editing of the classic shorts and the inferior bridging animation used to tie up the old shorts into a semi-cohesive storyline. That just wasn't a great use of the old animation talent and the newer audio of Mel Blanc was really off. He didn't even sound remotely like he did in the 1940s/1950s half the time. I guess the recording equipment and sound engineers changed in addition to Mel's aging vocal cords???

I don't mind documentaries like "Chuck Amuck" (which SHOULD be reissued on DVD -- I passed by the VHS tape years ago in a rental store but have never seen it; read the book it was based off, though) and "Bugs Bunny Superstar" (ANOTHER missed documentary which should be out in complete, unedited form on DVD -- not the chopped-up mess on one of the LT Golden Collections) since complete shorts are being shown WITH the title credits (!) and they're being discussed as personal favorites and in a character development context.

(It's been a while since ANY new LT documentaries have been published on DVD. I can't think of a single older VHS/LD documentary being ported to DVD, period! The last LT documentary might have been Chuck Jones: Extremes and In-Betweens {DVD-only?} which came out a while before he died.)

The compilation movies were a cheap way for WB to make money off the older shorts without really doing anything new. (Good for WB merchandising and keeping the characters "alive" in some fashion without a dedicated animation channel back then.) Never cared for those movies when they first appeared (I saw them shortly after first release on HBO or some other pay-for cable channel), don't care for them now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2009, 5:45 pm

I wrote about this for the front page last night, but only just got this news up now. Out of all the WB compilation specials and movies, <I>this</I> is the best.

The compilations actually began in the 1970s as a way for WB to make money on their old library for television. Many of the specials were patterned after Ward Kimball's The Mouse Factory...with a live action star in a themed setting providing the linking material between the toons.

These half-hour specials proved so successful in their time slots that new animation was commissioned to make the links less noticeable and bring new value to the shows, with DePatie-Freleng doing much of this work. In the meantime, new half-hour specials were also commissioned, which we started to see come out on the Golden sets.

These specials were considered to be cut together to create a feature-length outing, but a completely new format was devised altogether, and of these The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie was the first and the best. It actually has a complete story arc, albeit patterned around the included toons, but everything is set up very well, from the opening credits to the big awards ceremony at the end, where Bugs and Daffy battle it out to win - I love this - one of the awards, very nicely called The Oswalds.

Of all the specials, a real concern was to get the voices and animation nearer to the 1950s glory days, and though of course they couldn't get it exactly the same, it's a lot closer to the Chuck Jones efforts, who was very happy to simply cut in to the later styled and voiced animation without worrying about the thirty year differences in styles.

But give Looney Looney Looney a chance...it's a lot of fun and done with class.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

WB dusts off looney tunes for new tv series

Post by gaastra » June 7th, 2009, 12:01 pm

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/sho ... hp?t=13202

Looks like the looney toons will get a new series on cartoon network or kids cw.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 7th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Ren & Stimpy combined with Looney Tunes? As much as I love both, I don't see those styles meshing (despite Bob Clampett being a major influence on John K.).

I'm always waiting for when Warner Brothers revives the Looney Tunes well. The Back in Action film back in 2003 was a good start, but they didn't really follow up on it.

I'm personally awaiting the day Steven Spielberg brings back the Tiny Toons and Animaniacs.

GeorgeC

Blu ray is the Looney Tunes' future?

Post by GeorgeC » July 31st, 2009, 7:00 pm

Future WB Plans for Looney Tunes on Home Video

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Friday 31 July 2009

"And Warner has finally revealed details of its next Looney Tunes release... the 2-disc Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection: Volume 7 will street on DVD on 10/13 (SRP $26.99). The set will contain 26 classic shorts (all previously released on the older Golden Collection sets)....

"There are apparently no plans to release additional Looney Tunes Golden Collections on DVD, and (as we said) the shorts above appear on previous Golden Collection releases. But (and file this in The Rumor Mill-worthy category) sources tell us that there's a chance you MIGHT start seeing classic Looney Tunes product on Blu-ray from WHV in 2010 and beyond. Fingers crossed... "

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 31st, 2009, 9:19 pm

I assumed the only reason they'd ended the LTGC was that they didn't want Collection 8 to come out day/date with Blu and have fans mercilessly nag them, "Heyyy, where's our 1-7? :( "

That this one is all repeats from earlier masters--and marketable "spotlight" characters/titles at that--is......very interesting. ^_^

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2009, 11:10 am

Remember that LTGC Volume 2 (or was it 3) never had a Spotlight Collection (in that frame, they went for the two-movie set instead). So there's a bunch of toons from that set that never made it to "regular", non-collector DVD.

The lack of new LTGC has been well documented...the very decent stuff has been mined and the sets were becoming more and more niche collector based, even within a collectors' mentality already. And sales were not always strong, hence the more popular (commercially) Spotlights.

So I don't find it "interesting" at all...these collections have always been more popular and since they only draw on half of what was in the Golden sets, they could continue for a good few more volumes to come.